.357 or .45 LC Marlin???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nate_o23
Levergunner

.357 or .45 LC Marlin???

Post by nate_o23 »

Hello all I am new here and have a question for you all. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a rifle for my wife for plinking, home defense, etc...
With our current market of scarce, expensive ammo I am trying to keep the number of different calibers I have to buy to a minimum. With that in mind I want to get something in a pistol caliber that I already have so that narrows it down to .357 and 45LC.
I want it to be a marlin because I already have a couple 336s and I really like them but they kick a little hard for the old lady.
Which do you think would be better?
The .357 which has cheaper and more avaliable ammo?
or
The 45LC which has more power?
Also I have heard that the 45LC has extraction problems due to its small rim. Is this true??

Thanks for any help.
Molon Labe, lord barry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: .357 or .45 LC Marlin???

Post by Old Savage »

That is a hard one - go with your gut but if you don't reload 357 is the only reasonable ammo in $s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

nate_o23 wrote:Hello all I am new here and have a question for you all. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a rifle for my wife for plinking, home defense, etc...
With our current market of scarce, expensive ammo I am trying to keep the number of different calibers I have to buy to a minimum. With that in mind I want to get something in a pistol caliber that I already have so that narrows it down to .357 and 45LC.
I want it to be a marlin because I already have a couple 336s and I really like them but they kick a little hard for the old lady.
Which do you think would be better?
The .357 which has cheaper and more avaliable ammo?
or
The 45LC which has more power?
Also I have heard that the 45LC has extraction problems due to its small rim. Is this true??

Thanks for any help.
nate_023,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had both the Marlin 1894 in .357 and in .35 Colt. The .357s can be a bit picky with semi wad cutter ammunition. Otherwise they are the cats meow.
My Marlin .45 Colt will feed anything I can fit into the magazine.
SWCs, HPs, WFNs, RNs, anything.

As for the extraction problems on the .45 Colt; THAT IS A MYTH.
THey will extract and eject any brand of case from ancient balloon heads to the modern stuff.

My wife also likes the .357 but currently she's not wanting to shoot, so I got the .45. Wouldn't be without it. Cowboy loads are virtually recoil free, and if you ever get the urge you can either buy or load some pretty heavy hunting loads. Home defense is easily taken care of with either caliber, so that's a wash.

For cheap get the .357, for big bore fun and versatility get the .45.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

You say you want it for plinking, home defense, etc... and are concerned about the cost of ammo. The 38/357 is your logical choice because it's great for your stated desires, has less recoil and muzzle blast so the wife will not be intimidated by it, the 38spl ammo is a much better small rodent choice that any 45 Colt load, and as stated is cheaper to feed.

Besides you can get them pretty cheap right now from Bud's Gun Shop>

A 24" rifle length for $424 delivered: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/56487

A 20" carbine for $396 delivered: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/56500

And a 16" carbine for $396 delivered: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/56502
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

[quote="nate_o23"]
quote]

I was going to say get both when I saw the title, but the sentence above made it easier....

Get the .357...The hole will be smaller and it MAY not hurt as much when she finds out you called her your "old lady".

Good Luck.....you're gonna need it (although, you're safer getting her a rubber band gun at this point) :D
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

As well as others I have the Rossi .357 . My beautiful young wife has A Marlin .357 . She likes both .
I also have a Marlin CB with the 24" barrel in .45 Colt .
But for all around use , the .357 is your best choice IMHO . It will also shoot .38 SP . But remember the shorter .38 ammo in a .357 will carbon up the empty space that a .357 would use. The .38 is somewhat shorter .Then again, .38 special is cheaper to use. .357 hunting works out very well usually. Even deer and hogs if you have the right load . Hollow points don't seem to lift into place like others do.,,
Course though the final choice is you wife's :lol: But if she enjoys firearms , she'll probably be like my wife. Her usual quote ," Yes you can but another gun,Just means I'll get to inherit another fine gun down the road. " :roll:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

No need to worry about carboning up the chamber with the 38 spls if you remember to clean your rifle/carbine after you shoot it.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Your choice of a Marlin 94 is a good one. I also recommend the .357 Mag (cs model) for the reasons already cited.

I own this model myself and its a great carbine. It will serve you and your wife very well.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I have a .357 and .44mag revolver/pistol combo. The former is my preferred all around setup. The latter is for giggles. When poop hits the fan I'll be grabbing the .357s. :D
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

When I decided to down size my calibers, I chose the .357 to center my battery on. I chose to have a Rossi '92 slicked up by stevesguns in SS and fitted it with reciever sights. That .357 goes with me everywhere!. I pair it with a 3" adjustable sighted Smith J-frame and a bond derringer in the same caliber. I had moved away from the .45lc and the .44mag to down size and though they are wonderful calibers, I don't miss them.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Go with whichever one you think you'd be wanting a sidearm in at some point, whether for CCW or for field use.

A 'matched pair' in the same caliber (revolver and levergun) is easier to supply ammo for in hard times.

...besides, they look so cute and happy together... 8) 8) :lol:

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

AJMD429 wrote
..besides, they look so cute and happy together...
AHHHH, I just love a good love story :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 on the .357's
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I haven't shot a Marlin 94 in 357/38, but I do have one in 45 Colt and I wouldn't change a thing. Low end loads don't kick at all and there's the possibility of bumping up the pressure for hunting, self defense, etc.. In fact my wife loves to shoot it and she's recoil sensitive.
Old Law Dawg
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I'd say .357 Mag is a good choice for it's easier to find and uses .38 spl without modification, something the .45 Long Colt, can't say.

As for .38's being shorter and the resulting carbon ring, don't sweat it. Get a .38 chamber brush, and I stress a CHAMBER brush for it's slightly bigger and is used to remove carbon and lead deposites at the chambermouth. It only takes three passes to work its magic.

So I'd say I'd go with the .357 magnum, either way it's your choice.

Rifleman336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

rjohns94 wrote:When I decided to down size my calibers, I chose the .357 to center my battery on. I chose to have a Rossi '92 slicked up by stevesguns in SS and fitted it with reciever sights. That .357 goes with me everywhere!. I pair it with a 3" adjustable sighted Smith J-frame and a bond derringer in the same caliber. I had moved away from the .45lc and the .44mag to down size and though they are wonderful calibers, I don't miss them.

Same here. I've got five .357 revolvers..two single action and three double, and two rifles..a Browning '92 lever and a Beretta Gold Rush pump with a '73 clone in the works. I've shot the big bores and just plain shoot the .357s better.

If I had to get rid of all my my pistols and rifles but one each (Please God, not again :( ) I'd keep the '92 and a S&W 686.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
nate_o23
Levergunner

Post by nate_o23 »

Thanks for all the input. Like most of you I think I am leaning towards the .357 although the one thing in favor of the 45lc is it gives me an excuse to keep the Ruger Vaquero around. I really dont need it and its one more caliber I have to buy, but it is fun :D But for practicality purposes I should probebly sell the ruger and get a nice marlin in 357.
Molon Labe, lord barry
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

+1 on the .357. It is still, arguably, the most flexible handgun cartridge around and, while the "two gun one caliber" argument is not as compelling as it as 100 years ago, it does have some traction for self defense and bad times scenarios.

Plus another on choosing a Marlin (IMO, or course).
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

+1 on the 357 CS model 1894.......good power, easily controlled (even by kids), near universal ammo availibilty.

Winner,Winner, Chicken Dinner !!

my .02 ¢ ....Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I'll go with the 357. Cheaper to buy ammo for. Especially if you go 38 special. If you get some hot 357's you have a real stopper. Then combine that with a 357 revolver and you set for life. Just my opinion.
nate_o23
Levergunner

Post by nate_o23 »

I think i am going to go with the 357, although they are pretty scarce in my parts. I can find 30-30s all day long at the gun shows but 357 Marlins are mighty scarce. :(
Molon Labe, lord barry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have 4 .45 caliber levers and that should say something.
BUT my .357 Marlin Cowboy is just SWEET ! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Given your parameters, .357 Mag.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson