32-40 Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

32-40 Range Report

Post by Wind »

After the silhouette match last weekend, I decided to work up a stouter 32-40 load which will be more effective on turkeys and rams at 150 and 200 yards respectively. I’m using a 170 grain gas checked bullet and have found that eight grains of Unique in my rifle produce a safe and accurate load. It’s just not enough to knock over a ram consistently!!

Some of my loading manuals show loads with 2400 and I’m starting the search for the perfect 32-40 ram load there. Initially the first batch was printing seven inches higher at 50 yards than the Unique loads at my lowest sight setting.

After installing a taller front sight today, I set a target out at 100 yards to check the windage on the new set up. In the first picture, the first three shots are under the masking tape. The second three are not taped and I can live with them.

Now I had four rounds left. A normal person would have probably set the target back to 150 yards (turkeys) and shot two, and then moved it again to 200 yards (rams) and shot the last two. Not me! I can’t help myself!! I had to launch them at the three hundred yard dinger.

I make my dingers out of six inch well pipe shackled together. This one is sixteen inches long. The air was light and variable but feeling around with the first two rounds for the hold netted two hits with the last two. Windage here looked pretty good too. The Pygmy Polar Bear is watching my back as I’m fiddling with the camera!!

I ballast my target stands with eighty pound lead ballast bars and they show some interesting marks from bullet strikes. The last picture is a close up of the lead bar.

For your dining and dancing pleasure as always. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 32-40 Range Report

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice shooting and COOL Dog!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hey, Wind. Sounds like you're almost ready for next month's match. Good luck and best wishes.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

2ndovc wrote:Nice shooting and COOL Dog!

jb 8)
That is a cool dog! But heck, I'm a sucker for smart looking dogs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What can I say??? COOL !! :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

2ndovc wrote:Nice shooting and COOL Dog!

jb 8)

yup
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Can't stay logged in this morning long enough to get the pics to view (still haven't fixed the cookies/Blue Sky thing, but I'll get to it someday).

Anyway, nice range report.

We'll see if this dang thing wil post now... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

You might try IMR4227 powder and a fed 150 pistol primer .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Nice shooting there tn gun runner! 4227 would be the next powder on the list. I would love it if this ol' 1893 could shoot groups like that, but the 113 year old, less than perfect barrel, may just not be up to it. It is showing some improvement from tests earlier this week swinging the new Ram-O-Matic target I made up. We'll see how it plays at the December silhouette match. Best regards. Wind
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

If you really want to work up a serious load I have a vintage adjustable mould that
will cast a bullet up to about 1.10 long (shallow grooves) and a Saeco 200gr mould (1.04 long).
Both of these are not gas checked.

I might be willing to loan either out as I won't be working on 32-40 anytime soon.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks, wind - .32 guns sure are fun ! :mrgreen: :P :P :P

TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Here my favorite target bullet molds , I made all these molds .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

bsaride - Thanks for the offer. The bullet I'm using is working out well, being gas checked in a rough bore. Earlier experiments with plain base bullets showed that roughness created some leading and accuracy problems. The real issue is getting enough knock down at 200 yards while hanging on to accuracy. If things go well tomorrow, I'll try to post another range report.

Pete44ru - Yes in deed, I'm a real leverslut. They all are fun!!

tn gun runner - Nice work! I've seen some pictures of your rifles posted here and there. You obviously have too much time on your hands! Again, seriously nice shooting.

Best regards. Wind
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

But, but, but - where is the picture of the gun???