OT - Just welcomed a new/old Geetar into the fold...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

getitdone1 wrote:RSY,

Cute and neat picture. Kinda hard to tell but appears like there's not much wear on those frets!

You know what they say about how to get to Carnegie Hall?
:D
Don McCullough
Well, that's just one of my small herd. Whatwith trying to make it on a single income and all, they don't get in my hands much anymore. I'm more of a "Guitar Rancher" now. I just kinda look after 'em.

As for the neck, the finish on the '57 American Vintage Reissues is pretty thick, but I'm working it down, slowly but surely.

scott
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

gak wrote:I echo the comment made about Martin's cheap line... Trying to stay alive like everyone else - w****** themselves by having to appeal to the mass market I suppose, but they should be ashamed. I'll take one of the medium to better Yamahas or older Takamines (and an older Alvarez Yairi) any day over these cheaper Martin-branded wannabe Martins! Long live the better Martin line!
I have a 10-year-old Martin DM that you'd be pleasantly surprised by.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

RSY wrote:
gak wrote:I echo the comment made about Martin's cheap line... Trying to stay alive like everyone else - w****** themselves by having to appeal to the mass market I suppose, but they should be ashamed. I'll take one of the medium to better Yamahas or older Takamines (and an older Alvarez Yairi) any day over these cheaper Martin-branded wannabe Martins! Long live the better Martin line!
I have a 10-year-old Martin DM that you'd be pleasantly surprised by.
I bet I would be! There are likely multiple exceptions to my generalities and I didn't mean to step on some toes -- just that the lesser finished, newer braced-models seem to have cheapened the historic line. Sorta like the Colt Cowboys (in my view) or even the Uberti Millenia or whatever their lower line is now. Now you go into a store and there are 40 "lesser" Martins lined up like Arias and Harmonies of yore. Guess there's nothing truly wrong with that...allows folks to experience the iconic brand, hopefully til they someday can afford the (increasingly unaffordable) "Standard" (D-__) line, or just to have a good, playable guitar that didn't threaten your mortgage. I see one of these more mass-marketed Martins and the first thing I want to find is a good buff wheel!! (don't know if that'd do it, but would be worth trying!). JMO.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

gak wrote:I bet I would be! There are likely multiple exceptions to my generalities and I didn't mean to step on some toes -- just that the lesser finished, newer braced-models seem to have cheapened the historic line.
No, no, not at all. You're not stepping on any toes, here. It's all personal preference.

I'm mainly an electric guy, but nobody can do without a good, playable acoustic. So, the Martin DM serves my needs perfectly. Also, at $800 ten years ago, I didn't exactly think of it as a junker. :wink: That still ain't pocket change for me.

scott
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

gak, I've had a couple of those "lawsuit" Takamines, and they were actually quite good. I currently have a "lawsuit" Takamine D-12-28 copy. Those '70s Jap instruments are becoming more respected these days.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Image Here's the chesnutt
guitar my dad built[/img]
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Rebel1972 - that's COOL.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Thanks Boge .The chestnut came out of an old barn my father in law tore down.The barn was built around an old stable built from the hand hewn chestnut logs my dad used .Father in law said the stable was over 100 years old.Daddy has started another guitar out of chestnut with a black walnut back.The walnut plank came out of an old window sill from one of the oldest houses in Sparta ,TN.I wish I had his skill.We bought him a 32 caliber green mountain muzzleloader barrel and he built the stock out of yellow popalar that was nearly all green in color.
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

I've got a housefull of instruments, and many of them are quite valuable. But none of them are PRICELESS as that one is.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I've only had the opportunity to play around on one 12-fret Martin, a D35S .... WOW, what fabulous sound !!

Cheers,

Carl
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

I think the longer 12-fret body lends additional resonance and bass response.