Birthdate question on my Marlin '93, Now with Pics!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Birthdate question on my Marlin '93, Now with Pics!

Post by jfwlb »

I lurk here a lot, but haven't posted in a while. Work has had me pretty busy this last year.

Anyway, I have a Marlin 93 that confuses me when I try to look up it's birth date online. I bought it from a gentleman online who said it had been his fathers. It has a 20 inch barrel (I think) and a 1/2 magazine. There is not much finish left on the receiver, but the barrel is a dark blue. On top of the receiver it is marked "MARLIN SAFETY" and on top of the upper tang it is marked "MARLIN 93. The upper tang has one screw, and two smaller, empty screw holes, I assume are for a tang sight.

On top of the barrel, right next to where it goes into the receiver is marked 30-30. Between the rear sight and the barrel band is marked "The Marlin Firearms Corporation. NEW HAVEN, CONN. U. S. A-PATENTED" and then right below that is marked "SPECIAL SMOKELESS STEEL".

The furniture is in fair condition. The butt stock looks like it has been varnished, and the but plate is missing. The fore stock is darker and less shiny that the butt stock but looks to be figured nicely. There is a swing swivel where the "eye" should be, and a stationary swivel on the magazine tube.

Overall, it is in very nice condition and I am very pleased with it, even though I haven't fired it yet.

The thing that puzzles me is that when I go to look up the serial number online I am advised that Marlin 93's had only numerals in their serial numbers, but when I look at mine it has a letter at the end. the number is 4XXXC . I thought at first that it might be an 0, but when I rechecked, it is a C, no question about it.

So, Marlin experts, what do you think? Is this some rare model that is going to make me a Gazillionaire? :lol: Or am I just not looking in the right place for the date? :oops:

Did I miss anything in the description? Does any body need anything more to go on?

Oh, I remember, PICS! (I hope this works)
Sorry about the image quality, my camera was giving me fits tonight and wouldn't focus in the right place.
John
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Birthdate question on my Marlin '93, Now with Pics!

Post by Wind »

Hey there jfwlb – I’m definitely not an expert, but maybe I can shed alittle light on the issue. Might get it up to the top where marlinman93 might see it!! I think you’ve got yourself a “Model 93 Sporting Carbine”. These were introduced in 1923 and produced until 1935. This rifle falls between the dates where there are no records. The receivers were case colored. Hope this helps alittle. I have an 1893 rifle in 32-40 which is a hoot to shoot. Mine was made in 1896. Best regards. Wind
bigbore45colt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bigbore45colt »

Yep, sounds like a 20's vintage carbine. The "Marlin Firearms Corporation" stamp started in 1922 (I think). I just sold one in almost identical condition, with the same markings and an LXXX serial number and I had it as mid-20's vintage gun.

Nice little gun. They are a hoot to shoot.

BB45C
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

John
SMOKE JENSEN
Levergunner

Post by SMOKE JENSEN »

I agree with Wind and Bigbore45colt. I have a Marlin 93 that was my father's and after posting it a couple of years ago. Marlinman93 narrowed the date down to 1923-1925 the years following the fire at Marlin, which destroyed the records for those years.