Winchester 1886 receiver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike8623
Levergunner

Winchester 1886 receiver

Post by Mike8623 »

Hey guys I've got this older black powder 1886 receiver, I would really like to have a newer proof steel receiver, do you folks think there would be any interest in a swap? Which are more desireable the old black powder or the post 1900's
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 1886 receiver

Post by Gun Smith »

Since nothing is left to make it a collectable piece, I would put it on Gun Broker, or our parts listing on Leverguns, and any other place you can think of. There might be someone out there interested. You might have better luck selling it outright and trying to make an outright purchase yourself though. If someone is trying to restore a black powder model, selling would work best for both of you.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Mike, do you have any idea of the serial number of the gun the receiver came from? It could be a post-1900 "smokeless" receiver. One way to rell is the color of the steel itself. Was this a case hardened receiver, or does it show signs of being originally blued? The "BP" receivers also have a small hump at the front and the later ones are more straight at the top. There was not a significant change in design, but more nickel was added to the steel for extra strength. These later receivers are found on guns with numbers higher than 110,000. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If you want it for a shooter, there's not a lot of difference in strength, unless of course, you want it for a 450 Mega Bazooka. :D The barrel will go before the receiver (Don't I know that!)

Is it a stripped receiver? If it is, you want to sell it?

Swap? Not likely. Even parts. '86's have gone the way of 66's and Henry's--either in museums, rich guys gun vaults or priced out of reach of most people. As a peon, I'm glad I bought mine when they were still reasonable :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Thanks for all who replied, the serial number range is 39xxx. I think I'll just keep it. I really wanted to swap for a very late receiver..........so I'll just hang on to it until one comes along that I can afford.............Eventually I want to do a 50-110 so that is why I wanted the later receiver or even a Browning............I've learned that at some point in time you see just about everything listed..........so I've got til I die............Thanks to all who replied, may you all have a Super Christmas and at some point in time may you find what you are looking for.