OT: Cairo, IL - Future road trip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Cairo, IL - Future road trip

Post by J Miller »

In the John Wayne movie "True Grit", Matti Ross asks Rooster what he did after the war. His answer was he robbed a pay master for a grub stake, then a little bank in New Mexico. After that he moved to Cairo, IL and opened an eatery called the Grass Frog.
I've always thought Cairo, IL was just a made up place for the script of the movie.
Some time back I actually found out, there IS a Cairo, IL. But where? I could never find it. http://users.stlcc.edu/jangert/cairo/cairo.html
Yesterday I ran into a site that listed abandoned cities in the world. One of them is Cairo, IL. So I googled it and found out it's at the very southern tip of the state where the Ohio and Mississippi rivers come together. Completely surrounded by 60' tall levies.
I've been reading up on Cairo on various sites and it's a very interesting place. Almost dead, but not quite.
So, has anybody here actually been to Cairo, IL?
I have decided that in the near future I am taking a road trip to Cairo.
I've been to Fort Smith, AR so I figure I might as well go to Cairo, IL.
When I do get there, I'll be sure to take lots of pics for you guys.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OK357
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Cairo, IL - Future road trip

Post by OK357 »

Driven past it a few times on I57.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YES, WAS THERE WHEN THEY STARTED FORMING THE ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Terry Murbach wrote:YES, WAS THERE WHEN THEY STARTED FORMING THE ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.
Did they put you on a riverboat? Whooo whoooo ........... :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

J Miller wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:YES, WAS THERE WHEN THEY STARTED FORMING THE ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.
Did they put you on a riverboat? Whooo whoooo ........... :D

Joe
NO, FROM THERE THEY PUT US ON U.S. NAVY BARGES FROM WHICH WE STARTED UP RIVER TO GO VISIT FT DONELSON ON THE CUMBERLAND IN TENNESSEE TO KEEP AN APPOINTMENT WITH GENERAL SIMON BOLIVAR BUCKNER.
ALSO, THAT ENTIRE REGION OF ILLINOIS WAS CALLED EGYPT AND IT A LOT FUTHER SOUTH THAN RICHMOND VA. ONE OF THE FINEST POLITICAL GENERALS OF THE ENTIRE WAR WAS FROM THERE, GENERAL BLACKJACK LOGAN
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Terry,

I did a Wikipedia of General Black Jack Logan. Very interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Logan

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
Give me a PM.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Joe,
Give me a PM.
You got it.

Joe
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My dad (born 1930) grew up in Cairo. His father owned a Dry Goods store. All that's left is the tile entryway, on the sidewalk.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

On yer road trip, please be advised that Pulski County takes their speed limits and other potions of the I: Traffic Code VERY seriously! They don't have much in the way of tax revenues.

Not accusin' 'em of anythin', just a'sayin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

Noted.

Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

J Miller wrote:In the John Wayne movie "True Grit", Matti Ross asks Rooster what he did after the war. His answer was he robbed a pay master for a grub stake, then a little bank in New Mexico. After that he moved to Cairo, IL and opened an eatery called the Grass Frog.

Joe

That's funny! I was cleaning off my desk today and found a book I'd bought at the half-price book store this summer. True Grit by Charles Portis. I have seen the movie many times and can never resist a bargain on a book.

I always thought it was funny that the movie showed mountains in and areas that really only has big hills with trees. Same with Lonesome Dove. When they take Gus McRae into Miles City there are snow capped mountains in the background.

Well, looks like I've got some reading to do.(I also found my copy of the Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales. It's about time for a re-read)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Do you know about the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway, Colorado?

http://www.truegritcafe.com/

The True Grit Cafe was built to recognize Ridgway's movie making history. Back in 1967, Paramount decided to film the movie "True Grit" starring John Wayne, Glen Campbell and Kim Darby here in Ridgway, Colorado . Sitting in the 'Grit', you can look out over the Town Park and see where the hanging scene was filmed, right behind the park is the old Train Depot you can see in the movie and if you just tilt your head up and look at the mountains you can see the famous Chimney Peak that is shown prominently in the big shoot out scene in the movie. Ridgway has quite a history with two other movies that were filmed here including parts of "How the West Was Won" with Debbie Reynolds and John Wayne and "Tribute to a Bad Man" with James Cagney. In nearby Silverton, " Northwest Passage " with Jimmy Stewart and "Naked Spur" with Gary Cooper were filmed. Many commercials have been filmed out here including winter commercials for Wells Fargo Bank, Anheuser Busch and print ads for the Marlboro Company.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I remember seeing references to Cairo in Mark Twain's book, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."

Jack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Warhawk wrote:Do you know about the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway, Colorado?

http://www.truegritcafe.com/

The True Grit Cafe was built to recognize Ridgway's movie making history. Back in 1967, Paramount decided to film the movie "True Grit" starring John Wayne, Glen Campbell and Kim Darby here in Ridgway, Colorado . Sitting in the 'Grit', you can look out over the Town Park and see where the hanging scene was filmed, right behind the park is the old Train Depot you can see in the movie and if you just tilt your head up and look at the mountains you can see the famous Chimney Peak that is shown prominently in the big shoot out scene in the movie. Ridgway has quite a history with two other movies that were filmed here including parts of "How the West Was Won" with Debbie Reynolds and John Wayne and "Tribute to a Bad Man" with James Cagney. In nearby Silverton, " Northwest Passage " with Jimmy Stewart and "Naked Spur" with Gary Cooper were filmed. Many commercials have been filmed out here including winter commercials for Wells Fargo Bank, Anheuser Busch and print ads for the Marlboro Company.
I've always wondered where True Grit was filmed. Now I know. Do you know where the town scenes were filmed?
jhrosier wrote:I remember seeing references to Cairo in Mark Twain's book, "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."

Jack
It's been decades since I read that book. I'll have to dig around and see if I still have a copy.

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great book and great Movie. They also made "The Cowboys" in SW Colorado...near Pagosa Springs in the same region as True Grit, I believe. Edit: here ya go Joe:
http://books.google.com/books?id=9PFmO2 ... 3F&f=false
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out if and when I ever get up that way. I'd really love to stand on the ridge and look down into the meadow where JW shot it out with Lucky Ned Pepper. That would be a hoot.

Joe
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Joe, Here's some trivia from ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065126/trivia

No mention of where the town scenes were filmed.

Trivia for True Grit (1969)

* The only film for which John Wayne ever won an Oscar.

* Contrary to popular belief, John Wayne did not jump over the fence himself at the end of the movie. In fact, according to biographer Garry Wills in his book "John Wayne's America", Wayne was not healthy enough to do such stunts. It should be remembered that Wayne had an entire lung removed four years prior to making the film and actually had trouble walking more than thirty feet without breathing heavily.

* John Wayne reportedly chased costar Dennis Hopper around Paramount with a loaded gun. Hopper had to hide in Glen Campbell's dressing room until Wayne cooled down.

* Elvis Presley was considered for the role of La Boeuf, the Texas Ranger. However, his manager "Colonel" Tom Parker insisted that Presley should receive top billing, so the part was given to Glen Campbell instead.

* The gang's cave hideout (beds partially intact), snake pit, and various prop rocks can still be seen on private property outside Ouray, Colorado.

* This is the (uncredited) film debut of Wilford Brimley.

* The scene near the end where Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) and Ned Pepper's gang meet in a field and Pepper (Robert Duvall) is shot was filmed in a clearing near the top of Owl Creek Pass outside Ridgway, CO. The field is off the road to the left and is very easy to find.

* Chimney Peak is visible in the famous shootout scene at the end. It is part of the Cimarron Range outside Ridgway, CO.

* Rooster Cogburn wields a Winchester 1892 rifle with a looped lever and a Colt 1873 SAA revolver. Le Bouef carries a Sharps single-shot rifle. Mattie uses a Colt-Walker 1847 "Dragoon" revolver. Chaney uses a Henry rifle.

* Henry Hathaway later said he hated Glen Campbell's performance, which he described as wooden, and claimed the singer was only cast so he could have a hit with the theme song which would help promote the film.

* John Wayne's Best Actor Oscar win was widely seen as a sentimental choice, more in recognition of his forty year career. His performance in this movie was dismissed by many critics as over-the-top and hammy.

* John Wayne did not get along with Robert Duvall during filming, and at one point threatened to punch the young Method actor if he argued with the director again.

* The character of Rooster Cogburn was supposed to be around forty. John Wayne was 61 when the film was made.

* According to legendary stuntman Chuck Hayward in an interview just after John Wayne's death, Wayne did the jumping the fence stunt himself. Wayne rode Hayward's very famous stunt horse Twinkle Toes, which was used in many horse falling scenes in the fifties and sixties westerns and was getting quite old (like Wayne) when the jumping scene was done.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

The Coen Brothers (the guys whom made "No Country for Old Men" are apparently doing a remake of "True Grit" somewhere in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas.

I don't know how in the world they can do justice to a remake of a JW movie, but I guess Hollywood has run completely out of original ideas.

Much of my family is in Arkansas, and a shade tree relation is working hard to get the Mattie Ross role in the remake. Last I heard she made the initial cut and was going to Memphis for the second go around.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Warhawk wrote:Joe, Here's some trivia from ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065126/trivia

No mention of where the town scenes were filmed.

Trivia for True Grit (1969)

* The only film for which John Wayne ever won an Oscar.

* Contrary to popular belief, John Wayne did not jump over the fence himself at the end of the movie. In fact, according to biographer Garry Wills in his book "John Wayne's America", Wayne was not healthy enough to do such stunts. It should be remembered that Wayne had an entire lung removed four years prior to making the film and actually had trouble walking more than thirty feet without breathing heavily.

* John Wayne reportedly chased costar Dennis Hopper around Paramount with a loaded gun. Hopper had to hide in Glen Campbell's dressing room until Wayne cooled down.

* Elvis Presley was considered for the role of La Boeuf, the Texas Ranger. However, his manager "Colonel" Tom Parker insisted that Presley should receive top billing, so the part was given to Glen Campbell instead.

* The gang's cave hideout (beds partially intact), snake pit, and various prop rocks can still be seen on private property outside Ouray, Colorado.

* This is the (uncredited) film debut of Wilford Brimley.

* The scene near the end where Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) and Ned Pepper's gang meet in a field and Pepper (Robert Duvall) is shot was filmed in a clearing near the top of Owl Creek Pass outside Ridgway, CO. The field is off the road to the left and is very easy to find.

* Chimney Peak is visible in the famous shootout scene at the end. It is part of the Cimarron Range outside Ridgway, CO.

* Rooster Cogburn wields a Winchester 1892 rifle with a looped lever and a Colt 1873 SAA revolver. Le Bouef carries a Sharps single-shot rifle. Mattie uses a Colt-Walker 1847 "Dragoon" revolver. Chaney uses a Henry rifle.

* Henry Hathaway later said he hated Glen Campbell's performance, which he described as wooden, and claimed the singer was only cast so he could have a hit with the theme song which would help promote the film.

* John Wayne's Best Actor Oscar win was widely seen as a sentimental choice, more in recognition of his forty year career. His performance in this movie was dismissed by many critics as over-the-top and hammy.

* John Wayne did not get along with Robert Duvall during filming, and at one point threatened to punch the young Method actor if he argued with the director again.

* The character of Rooster Cogburn was supposed to be around forty. John Wayne was 61 when the film was made.

* According to legendary stuntman Chuck Hayward in an interview just after John Wayne's death, Wayne did the jumping the fence stunt himself. Wayne rode Hayward's very famous stunt horse Twinkle Toes, which was used in many horse falling scenes in the fifties and sixties westerns and was getting quite old (like Wayne) when the jumping scene was done.

OK, so I wonder which of these versions is true. In my DVD version of True Grit you see JW ride the horse a way from the camera, turn around and ride towards the camera and the fence. At the jump you can easily see John Waynes face. There are no cuts or camera angle changes. My opinion is that Wayne did the jump.

John Wayne chasing Dennis Hopper with a loaded gun? To bad he didn't catch him. If he had we'd be less one blithering liberal idiot.

I guess I'm gonna have to head to Colorado some day soon. I do want to see these places.

I can't place him, what character did he play?

I pretty much agree. Although I do like the theme song.

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here are a few pics of the area I took north of Pagosa Springs. The Durango/Siverton railroad is not too far away as well, and I am told a must do. I went there for pics but did not have time to ride the train.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... sa+Springs
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Rooster bought "...an eatin' place called the Green Frog, and married a Grass Widow." ( divorcee...)

The movie set atmosphere is still eveident in Ridgway.

Hunted the Big Blue Wilderness, across the highway, in 1988. Need to get back up into that country, to see if the old cabins are still standing. We camped by one at 11,380 ft. elevation.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Is that where Horace broke 40 cup???? :lol:
Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck Elliott wrote:Rooster bought "...an eatin' place called the Green Frog, and married a Grass Widow." ( divorcee...)

The movie set atmosphere is still eveident in Ridgway.

Hunted the Big Blue Wilderness, across the highway, in 1988. Need to get back up into that country, to see if the old cabins are still standing. We camped by one at 11,380 ft. elevation.
Well, I thought I had it right. At least I had the right words even if I had them in the wrong places.

Joe
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Joe, if you make that road trip, look me up. I've lived my whole life within about 50mi of Cairo. Remember I've been there once but really don't know much about the place. If you come down, you'll probably use I 57, when you get to the 54 mile marker at Marion you'll only be about ten miles from the house. Would love to meet you and buy you a cup of coffee.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ceb,

Will Do. However my route was going to be the old roads, avoiding all the freeways. They are great if you have to be somewhere soon, but you miss everything.
My route was going to be 29 from Spfld to Pana, then 51 all the way down to Cairo.

I don't plan on being in IL another year, so just one time I want to head somewhere on a fun trip if I can.

Joe
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Thats fine Joe, 51 goes through the college town of Carbondale, still only 25mi. Pretty drive through the Shawnee in the fall and if follow Rt 3 south along the river it can be even nicer.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

FWIW, Henry Hathaway was not the only one disappointed by Glen Campbell's performance. It gets almost embarassing to watch.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

C. Cash wrote:Is that where Horace broke 40 cup???? :lol:
"A clumsier child you'll never see than Horace..."
Regards

Buck

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In my opinion, if John Wayne had not played Rooster Cogburn, and the other actors had been the same, True Grit would have been a total DUD.
J.W. carried that movie.

I think a cardboard cut out could have done Glen Campbell's part much better.
Kim Darby was almost too aggressive in her portrayal of Mattie Ross, but still, she was far better than Glen Campbell.

Even with the so-so acting and quite a few stupid things in the movie it and Rooster Cogburn and The Lady are still my favorite John Wayne movies.

Joe
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Hi Joe,
Cairo was a very active place back when Gangster mobs were active. It was known as "Little Egypt". I recall reading a book when I was in High School called "WAR IN ILLINOIS", (can't remember the author) it was about the gangsters and southern Illinois in those times.
UNITE
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

J Miller wrote:
Even with the so-so acting and quite a few stupid things in the movie it and Rooster Cogburn and The Lady are still my favorite John Wayne movies.

Joe
I guess I need counseling. My favorite Marion Morrison movies are "The Shootist", "The Cowboys", and "True Grit." He dies in 2 of them and is a half-blind sot in the other. I could watch the Cowboys over and over, even if I do know that really ain't Belle Fouche. The Searchers would be a close 4th. "Do you want me to draw you a picture?" :?:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

vancelw wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe
I guess I need counseling. My favorite Marion Morrison movies are "The Shootist", "The Cowboys", and "True Grit." He dies in 2 of them and is a half-blind sot in the other. I could watch the Cowboys over and over, even if I do know that really ain't Belle Fouche. The Searchers would be a close 4th. "Do you want me to draw you a picture?" :?:
"That'll be the day."
Regards

Buck

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

back in the day,,, US 51 used to cross the River into Kentucky... on an old, long ,narrow, iron bridge. I have heard that the last few years it was open, tractor trailers would tear each others west coast mirrors off sometimes when the went by each other crossing it.

For me... as a kid I'd ride any roller coaster in the country (2x)... but after the first time on that bridge was the last time I crossed it with my eyes open.

I'd have to think the "new" interstates drove a few more nails into Cairo's coffin. Oh..btw. it's "kay-ro"- spelled the same as that burg in Egypt... just not said the same.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Had to work in Urbana for 9 months, and had a free weekend in the Fall. Took a ride down to the southern part of the state in the National Forest near there anyway. Nice country down there. Saw some Deer, and Turkeys. Nice place to kill a weekend. Did a little Pheasant Hunting with some guys from work on his parents land. Amazing how they can hide in small places. Saw a bunch too, but I did some nice clean missing with my Benelli.Then took a ride over to St. Louis to see what it's like as I am a small town person. Didn't like that very well. Too Big a place for me.