OT Savage sporter in 25-20 (model 23B)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

OT Savage sporter in 25-20 (model 23B)

Post by iceman »

Has anybody ever had or used one of these? I have a chance on one for $160. I will need more photos before I decide, but it sounds like a 75% -85% rifle. It sounds like a fun little bolt gun but I'm not sure yet.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Savage sporter in 25-20 (model 23B)

Post by 2ndovc »

Great little rifles!

That's a steal!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Iceman - I had a 23A in .22 Long Rifle. Great rifle and it was at least as accurate as my Anschutz. After fifty five years of owning it, I sent down the road to a family with some young shooters recently. Good price and good cartridge by the way. Best regards. Wind
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Way back when I was in grade school, my father came home from work with one of these, used but well-kept, won in a raffle. Dad said it was the only raffle he ever won. Me and my 3 brothers all hunted deer with it--of course this was before the gunrag writers were all saying that the only way you could kill deer was with a zippydo shortymag whizbanger. I never got a shot at a deer when I carried it, but my brother Jim got 4. Only once did he have to take a second shot. You're getting a great rifle at a real bargain price. Get some dies and a mold, though. Those little shells come 50 to a box, and they're not cheap as factory loads. You'll like this rifle. Don't pass this one up.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Many years ago in south Florida my brother had one just like it.That little 25-20 killed deer, hogs, and tirkey as slick as anything. It didn't seem to bother his horse either.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

iceman wrote:Has anybody ever had or used one of these? I have a chance on one for $160. I will need more photos before I decide, but it sounds like a 75% -85% rifle. It sounds like a fun little bolt gun but I'm not sure yet.
I don't have any experience with Savage's other than their newest bolt-guns, but for $160, I'd buy it in a minute, unless it was in bad shape.

As far as the .25-20, I sort of equate it with the .22 Hornet only maybe a step up. It's "big brother" the .32-20 is sure a nice cartridge, especially in a modern-steel gun, so in the modern-steel Savage, I'd expect the .25-20 to be a nice easy-shooting and accurate round. Not a ".25 WSSM" but just right for most stuff.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I recently picked up one for $100 but ended up with over $200 in it after replacing missing parts. I have not got around to shooting it but did find one box of shells. neat little guns for sure, I would like to find one in .22 Hornet,.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They are ugly guns but..............they shoot :D . I've shot 'em but never did own one. $160 is a nice snag price. Just make sure the magazine is in the rifle as many of these guns are missing them. Replacements in 25-20 are very hard to find.

Also, make sure the bore is nice as 25-20's with nasty bores don't shoot well.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks for the info guys. I have asked the owner for some better photos and what condition the bore is in already. I am waiting for his answer. It is sort of too far to drive to to check (3hours each way) so I am relying on his honesty and photos. Thanks again and keep the comments coming about this rifle.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Sixgun wrote:They are ugly guns but..............they shoot :D . I've shot 'em but never did own one. $160 is a nice snag price. Just make sure the magazine is in the rifle as many of these guns are missing them. Replacements in 25-20 are very hard to find.

Also, make sure the bore is nice as 25-20's with nasty bores don't shoot well.-----------Sixgun
Speaking of magazines, I once picked up a spare for Dad's old rifle. The magazines for these Savages are clearly stamped "25-20 or 32-20".
Another point is that the barrel and action on the Savage 23B's are all one piece, so if you find that the barrel is a bad one, your only choice would be to get a competent gunsmith to reline it. This can be done but may be a little pricey--mabe worth it if you like a pleasant little shooter.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I was too slow, it has sold. I really only wanted a winter project to clean up and resell, so I guess I'll keep looking.