Newest project 1894 Marlin 25-20 is it worth having refurbed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Newest project 1894 Marlin 25-20 is it worth having refurbed

Post by gordylew »

I recently picked up a vintage "94" Marlin in 25-20. someone had painted the metal with looks to be black oven paint. after removing the paint and taking it apart I find that it has no original finish. Is this thing worth having someone re-case hardening the action, re-blueing the barrel?
I have started replacing some missing parts ie ejector, worn out mag spring.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Newest project 1894 Marlin 25-20 is it worth having refurbed

Post by jlchucker »

gordylew wrote:I recently picked up a vintage "94" Marlin in 25-20. someone had painted the metal with looks to be black oven paint. after removing the paint and taking it apart I find that it has no original finish. Is this thing worth having someone re-case hardening the action, re-blueing the barrel?
I have started replacing some missing parts ie ejector, worn out mag spring.
How about some pics? How's the bore? How's the wood? Your restoration might not do much for collector value but there's a possibility that you could end up with a peace you could be proud of using, and passing along to your kids. How far you go with this could be a matter of how much money in this restoration that you'd want to spend. 25-20 is a fine plinking/small game round. It's even been known to have successfully been used on deer by more than one old timer, too.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

Bore looks rough but I have not put any elbow grease in it yet to see how it will turn out. wood had been refinished and looks descent but does have some over sanding at the toe. I believe a little metal work to level it would help.
I still have not figured out how to post picks yet.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If the bore proves good via shooting, I'd restore it as far as my wallet would take me.

Sure, a refinished specimen is only worth half a gennie, but since your finish is already trashed, a rehab will only make it more valuable than it is now, IMHO.

On the plus side, you can end up with a neat rifle you can be proud of rescuing.

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Sure would be to me. :wink:
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

After cleaning the bore I find the rifling to be severely worn and pitted. Has anyone ever had a barrel re-bored. I was thinking in going up to 32-20. any suggestions and guesstimates on cost of re-boring?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

E-mail some pics to Mike Hunter at Hunterrestorations.com
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

Here are some pics of my on going project.

I total dissembled the Marlin. cleaned off the paint with mineral spirits, replaced the ejector. next it's off to be case hardened and re-blued. The bore is severally pitted so it may end up being rebored to 32-20 or re lined.

http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/ac198/winchester348/
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

That is just a plain ole cool way to spend time bringing that beastie back ta life.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

gordylew wrote:After cleaning the bore I find the rifling to be severely worn and pitted. Has anyone ever had a barrel re-bored. I was thinking in going up to 32-20. any suggestions and guesstimates on cost of re-boring?

Heres a 25/20 I put back together from pieces and had cased. I had John Taylor of Taylor Machine line it. He will rebore too if you want but if it were me I'd try to keep the right calibre. http://www.johntaylormachine.com/
Its up to you if its worth it or not. Depending on what you paid for it you could maybe turn a profit. I never have but once I make a gun mine like this its not likely to go anywhere.

Its next to a Marlin 1889 32/20 I pieced together too in this one.

I had a little money when I redid those. I did this next one when I was a little broker. I had John reline it to its original 44/40 and did everything else myself. Just fit a stock I had to it and hit it with a little cold blue. I almost like it better because nothing matters.

At any rate its a personal thing whether its worth restoreing an old gun or how far to go. I did it because I like to and had the money. I'm also patient enough that if it takes 2 or 5 or 10 years its ok.