Maine Bear Hunt for Levergunners in September available

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Fellow forum members: This is the time of year we book most of the hunts for the whole calendar year with SCI, Dallas Safari Club, and the regional shows. Normally, after this weekends NY show, the bear hunts are sold out. I have very few spots left. If you are interested, the deposit is only $100. I can provide a bunch of levergunner references upon request.

NO B.S. Black Bear in Maine. We eliminated all the hassles and inconveniences. No Border crossings, NO BUGS, Casual schedule, nice cabins with private bedrooms, your vehicle is at the cabin - come and go as you please, FREE FISHING out the back door!, approximately 5 hours per afternoon on stand, trophy prep. Cook as a group or eat out in town only 5 minutes away. If you take a bear early you are welcome to stay to relax and fish or you can get going to keep within a busy schedule. This is a relaxed, no hassle hunt with a 75% kill average last season on 3 day hunts, 90% on 6 day hunts. Only $575 for a 3 day hunt, $1050 for 6 days.

Any firearm, muzzleloader or bow is OK. Call or e-mail if you have any questions.
The season is the last Monday in August and last 4 weeks, no Sunday hunting. This year the first week and half the second week will have NO MOON making for excellent conditions. Some of your fellow forum members are already booked on all the dates available so you will be hunting with them.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Oh, man...

I wish I wasn't in paramedic school for the year...

Ah me, it's a long life and I'll have chances in years to come.

Maybe even going to Moosehead Lake in May again despite the scholl schedule.

we'll see
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

How much does the bear tag cost? and what other costs are involved? What town is this close to? What is the average weight of bears taken?

Are you issued a certain stand that you have to hunt for the whole time, or are there other choices if a stand seems to be totally dead after a day or two? And what is average range that the bears are taken at?

I have been wanting to go to Maine on a bear hunt over bait, don't know if I can go this year, but it is tempting. And if not this year, when do you start taking reservations for next year?

I am in Arkansas so it is a long drive, If I flew, what is closest town to fly into. And do you do any pickups at the airport or is it nessary to always rent a vehicle? Will I need a 4WD rig? And I guess if I did fly, there would be on option for getting the meat back home? Or not?

I might talk my brother in law into comming with me, if not this year, then maybe next year.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

What is a big bear there? Would it be possible to better a 19 9/16 skull there?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The big game license is $78 if you use a gun, $56 for bow. The bear tag is an additional $88. The town is Machias and the bears weigh between 200 and 300 pounds (that would be a mature 5-6 year old).

There are at least 3 stands per hunter, plus we can rotate hunters if needed so you see a different stand. The longest range is 44 yards and one bow/handgun stand is 11 yards. All are modern elevated ladder stand with platform.

I have already booked a couple of the first days for 2009. Last year a fistful of us did not get a bear in 3 days of the first week because it was FULL MOON (although 3 were seen). This year will be NEW MOON - Dark at night is a huge plus to bear movement.

Fly to Bangor, ME. You can rent a car - no need for a truck or 4X4. I always try to pick-up however I can. Last year due to a vehicle breaking down, we had 6 guys in what should have been a 4 person truck for the hour drive from AP to cabins. Again, we couldn't control the truck problem but we made it happen. Your meat can be packed in a cooler and you can take it back on the plane no problem. Hide/cape too. If you need to take two coolers home on the plane, we will FedEx your clothes to you.

If you have any more questions, fire away.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

86er;
Talked to Sterling recently and he said that he has his bear hunt deposit for you. Is he already on the list of hunters?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

86er,

Thanks, for the additional info.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

crs - after him there are 2, maybe 3 spots max for opening 3 days. Get it here quick or they will be gone. The show is this weekend.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

3 spots left total now..........
blackfly
Levergunner

Post by blackfly »

86er,
I’ve been reading your Maine bear hunt thread since it started and wanted to tell you that if it ever came to needing a hand to make it work for any of these lever folks coming from out of state such as with a ride from the airport to Machias or whatever then don’t hesitate to give me a holler and we’ll see that it gets done.

I know from my guiding days that it can be a once in a lifetime deal for some to come up and hunt bear and this forum has been so helpful and enjoyable to me that I’d like to pay some back if the need ever arose. The same goes for any lucky enough to draw a moose tag . Levergunners get the red carpet.

Sounds like this isn’t your first time and that you’ve got the logistics squared away but if something crazy was to come up and someone needed a ride, etc.then let me know.
If these folks are coming to Maine then we want to make sure that they have a “quality outdoor experienceâ€
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thank you very much! That is a generous offer that I will keep in mind should the need arise.
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

I see that you include "Trophy Prep".

As in I shoot it then you do all the hard work? :D
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The NY show is this weekend. These bear hunts will usually sell out at or following the show.

If anyone is interested, levergunners from this forum will get priority.

Let me know if you can make it as soon as possible.

Thanks
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Is there lodging available for a non-hunter (wife)? If so, what would be the cost for her?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can share a private bedroom with your spouse. There is no additional cost overall. The cabins are split between however many people are staying. There will probably be 5 hunters. If you bring your wife, the total is split by 6 instead of 5 making everyones share a little less. Figure approximately $60 per night total split by 6. She may fish for free, and we had a two person stand if she would like to sit in the bear stand with you. There is a ton of antiquing very close by.