Buddha, Jesus, Tiger and Brit - OT Religion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Buddha, Jesus, Tiger and Brit - OT Religion

Post by Charles »

Seems like a nice little flap is underway about a comment Fox New's Brit Hume made about Tiger Wood. Brit said that for the redemption and forgivness he seeks and needs, he should turn to Christianity and not Buddhism. Some folks are spun up about the comment. Most do not know the difference between the two religions.

If one knows the difference Hume's comment makes sense or not depending on which side you favor.

Buddhism is not a religion. It is a study of meditation teqhnique and ethical teachings that lead the practitioner to more self awareness, enlightnment and harmony. Buddha started with the point, that there may or may not be a God, but if there is a God, he is to busy working through his own stuff to have time to mess with humans. There is no divnity in Buddhism, but a program of self help. As such it is as good as any and better than most.

Christianity on the other hand starts with the premise that mankind is sinful and fallen away from God andwhat he needs most is forgivness and reconcilation/redemption to and with God. This occurs through faith in Jeusus. Christianity is about divine help and not self help.

So, if Tiger needs to forgive himself, then Brit is wrong. If Tiger needs God to forgive him, then Brit is right.
Hobie

Re: Buddha, Jesus, Tiger and Brit - OT Religion

Post by Hobie »

Tiger needs to control himself.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hobie wrote:Tiger needs to control himself.
Amen, brother!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Brett is correct, but the delivery of the message was not correct, and will probably drive Tiger away rather than help him see the truth. The right delivery would be for someone who is in Tigers life to be a friend when all other friends are gone. To show up with not just advice but a helping hand and a compassionate ear. The bad news is, we are all adulterers and murderers no matter how squeaky clean we look on the outside. Good news is, The Lord is ready to forgive us and forget about it if we repent and believe. I hope Tiger turns the right way.
Last edited by C. Cash on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Well, if all Tiger needs it self control, Buddhism isn't cutting it for him!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

C. Cash - +infinity
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The bad news is, we are all adulterers and murderers
:?: Murderers? Explain, please. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I agree Charles, a lot of people don't understand Buddhism. Its not a religion. If you ask someone their religion and they say Buddhist they probably mean atheist without saying it upfront or are trying to sound sophisticated. If they are Christian and study Buddhism they would probably just reply that they are Christian.
Last edited by oic0 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

BlaineG wrote:
You better behave Mr. G! :mrgreen: :wink: According to the Bible, if you've murdered someone in your heart, it's as bad as doing it. Several times I've had people nearly kill me and my family in a car(by mistake?), and if was allowed to at that moment, I would have wrapped my hands around that persons neck and killed them. I have had murder in my heart. Haven't you? In fact, Jesus said even being angry with your brother without cause puts you in danger of the fires of the bad place. Adultery is the same.....do it in your heart and it's as bad as doing it with your body. We've all done it and were all dirty. Only Jesus passed the test. The rest of us have to hit our knees every day, turn from the rotten stuff and count on Christ to take care of the rest.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Amen
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

C. Cash wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
You better behave Mr. G! :mrgreen: :wink: According to the Bible, if you've murdered someone in your heart, it's as bad as doing it. Several times I've had people nearly kill me and my family in a car(by mistake?), and if was allowed to at that moment, I would have wrapped my hands around that persons neck and killed them. I have had murder in my heart. Haven't you? In fact, Jesus said even being angry with your brother without cause puts you in danger of the fires of the bad place. Adultery is the same.....do it in your heart and it's as bad as doing it with your body. We've all done it and were all dirty. Only Jesus passed the test. The rest of us have to hit our knees every day, turn from the rotten stuff and count on Christ to take care of the rest.
Well, since He gave us choice, I believe that choosing the right thing takes you off the hook even if the bad choice crossed your mind. It is self protection from wishing something bad to happen, it happens, and we feel guilty.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

BlaineG wrote: Well, since He gave us choice, I believe that choosing the right thing takes you off the hook even if the bad choice crossed your mind.
+1
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I watched the FOX News panel where Brit Hume delivered this message. The discussion was sports predictions for 2010 and I thought Brit took the opportunity to deliver a very brief, heart felt and compassionate message to Woods about forgiveness and redemption. It was an opportunity seized and, given the context of the discussion, a message well delivered. My hat's off to Brit on this one.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

mklwhite wrote:
BlaineG wrote: Well, since He gave us choice, I believe that choosing the right thing takes you off the hook even if the bad choice crossed your mind.
+1
I sure hope you are right about that. ( please don't ask why)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

BlaineG wrote:
C. Cash wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Well, since He gave us choice, I believe that choosing the right thing takes you off the hook even if the bad choice crossed your mind. It is self protection from wishing something bad to happen, it happens, and we feel guilty.
Hi Blaine,

I will make a post shortly over on Politics to take this discussion further...so we don't hijack this away from the Tiger situation. Talk in a bit! :mrgreen:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I haven't killed anyone in at least a week. :wink:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:I haven't killed anyone in at least a week. :wink:

-Tutt
Me neither!

Hobie nailed it - Tiger needs to learn self-control. Just another uber-money-making athlete/celebrity who thought he could do anything he felt like! :roll:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

As some of the old timers in my world used to put it, he needs to put a check on himself, indeed. No matter how you stack it though, the conglomeration of Eastern philosophies/Environmentalism/Darwinism/Humanism/Secularism etc. that these folks adhere to amounts to a very fanatical religion, and is formed by the elites for the purpose that they can oppose Christian truth(their version of it). The latter is the one thing that they will not tolerate. I still think Britt Hume was correct, but that the delivery was wrong.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think we do not need to talk about Tiger Woods here.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've no idea what circles Mr. Woods runs in, but hopefully someone near him can steer him the right way. I work with folks who have issues similar to Mr. Woods'. Those who allow Christ to help them tend to do much better than those who try to do it on their own. But it all comes down to a change in the way one thinks. A Christianity that is based on Sunday Meetings will do little to help anyone. A relationship with God through Jesus the Christ will lead one to a change of heart and a change of mind which will result in a much more balanced and fruitful life.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

"A Christianity that is based on Sunday Meetings will do little to help anyone. A relationship with God through Jesus the Christ will lead one to a change of heart and a change of mind which will result in a much more balanced and fruitful life."
The above quote says it all for me. Our walk with God is NOT about religion but a relationship that is only available as we put our faith in Jesus Christ alone for our salvation. One of the most wonderful aspects of our salvation that is very often overlooked is that a relationship with the Lord does change our thinking and can even change our thought processes. This seldom happens to "Sunday morning Christians" but comes through a long process (that begins in an instant) of careful obedience and cultivation of a relationship with the Lord. This change of character is what my theological heritage calls "entire sanctification."
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Goat I was not going to get on this one, but I have to say you are a 100 % saved by the Blood of Christ man or you could not have said what you did. Praise the Lord!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Hume's comment was not a flippant, shallow zing at Tiger. Hume's comment laid out if a very short way, the difference between Buddhism (which Tiger says he follows, at least in part) and Christianity. The comment was rather profound, and if folks can get past the superficial reaction, it might open up some good thinking about some very serious issues.. i.e. where is forgivness and redemption to be found? That is an ultimate issue that folks need to deal with but often don't.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Within ones self,
at least that is what my teacher told me.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Did anyone mention repentance ?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

C. Cash wrote:...the conglomeration of Eastern philosophies/Environmentalism/Darwinism/Humanism/Secularism etc. that these folks adhere to amounts to a very fanatical religion, and is formed by the elites for the purpose that they can oppose Christian truth(their version of it)...
Great point! This fanatical religion is called "Political Correctness". Their motto is "If something stands the test of time, then it must be changed." :roll:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Bogie... I must beg to differ a little in your conclusion. It is not the age of Christianity that bothers the folks you mentioned but the amount of God's activity in the human situation that gives them problems. With God's activity comes allot of "supernatural" (meaning supra (above) natural (nature) things. The modernist mind, in all of it's expressions ,can't abide anything they cannot explain and understand. It must all be reduced to what human can digest in the context of their humanness.

The miraculous birth of Christ and His ressurection will be forever beyond the understand and acceptance of the "modern" mind. The concept of faith is just not something they can deal with. To be a person of faith, to this folks, is the same as to be an ignorant person.

Pascal, the great science type and Christian once said... "The heart has reasons, that reason cannot know." Herein is our faith. We are not ignorant, but have reasons, through faith, that those who only have human reason cannot know or understand.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"I must beg to differ a little in your conclusion. It is not the age of Christianity that bothers the folks you mentioned but the amount of God's activity in the human situation that gives them problems. With God's activity comes allot of "supernatural" (meaning supra (above) natural (nature) things. The modernist mind, in all of it's expressions ,can't abide anything they cannot explain and understand. It must all be reduced to what human can digest in the context of their humanness.

The miraculous birth of Christ and His ressurection will be forever beyond the understand and acceptance of the "modern" mind. The concept of faith is just not something they can deal with. To be a person of faith, to this folks, is the same as to be an ignorant person."

I think Charles explained it very well. Thank you Charles.
This (to me at least) explains why the History channel must explain away events like the parting of the Red Sea , The Flood and such to natural causes ,
provided that they don't say that they never happened at all.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

But all of them still fall under the umbrella of political correctness. It's the idea that no ideology is wrong, except for Christianity of course. :roll: Can you be politically correct, but anti-environmental? anti-evolution? anti-atheist? anti-abortion? Nope. In other words, today's people have put their spiritual trust in what is currently politically correct, as determined by mass media and Hollywood. Yet, they don't strongly adhere to anything.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

I hope Tigger dont talk to O.J.