Henry goes hog hunting .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Henry goes hog hunting .....

Post by 86er »

I promised my friend I would go hog hunting with him today. Well, I went to work and forgot about it. He called and said he would pick me up at work. I said I didn't have a rifle. He offered to stop by my house and get it - we are neighbors and he had the code to my garage. Well I had two guns in the lock box in the garage, the new Henry H001Y and the Bulldog 44 Spl. He stopped by to grab both and then picked me up. One the way there he explained the situation. His Dad has a pig pen. When the pig feeder dumps into the chute the noise makes the feral hogs come in. The hogs rub in the mud outside the pen and eat whatever falls outside the pen's fence. There is a metal building that the pigs go into and right next to it is a storage shed. We were to sit in the storage shed and shoot out of a slat that he cut in it. The range would be a matter of feet, not yards. On the way there I fell asleep in the truck and missed out on most of the other details. Upon arrival the temperature gauge read 104 degrees. My eyes were stinging with sweat - it was hot! We set up in the "blind" and I loaded the Henry with Remington Lightning ammo and the 44 SPL with Grizzly Tarantula loads. My shirt was wet and I could taste salt in my mouth from sweat as I fought fatigue waiting for the hogs. The noise of the feeder woke me from a slight nod and I immediately started nodding again. About 5 minutes went by and I heard a distinct snorting and clicking near the blind. About 15 hogs passed between the pig pen and blind no more than 10 feet away. When one of the last one's stood straight in front of me I aimed the Henry just in front of and below the eye. I took a breath, let half out and squeezed the trigger. At the shot the beast dropped to the ground. Suddenly, a flurry of hogs ran to my right, but the last one made a deadly mistake. It stopped to nudge its fallen comrade , right in front of me. Another side brain shot dropped that hog at a distance of about 8 feet. For insurance, I shot each one in the head another time. No need for the big guns here - one was 115 pounds and one was 206 pounds on the cotton scale. My friend shot two with his 30-06, one at 5 feet and one running away at about 20 yards. Fourth of July Barbeque - Texas Style! That Henry is a great little rifle!

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: Henry goes hog hunting .....

Post by Gobblerforge »

That there's how it's done boys.
Nice job 86er.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

goes to show what a good hunter can do with the lowly .22lr. it's good to see that not everyone has bought into the minium recomended cartridges that you see in the gun rags. nice job!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Those are good eating size hogs. Nice shooting.
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Pretty awesome! Only you could still nab 2 hogs half asleep! Nice job.
Sandy :P
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good shooting Joe. Next time you'll have to take a BB gun and give it a go :D .
Ricky

DWWC
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Don't laugh. There's one ad on the one of the outdoor sport channels that shows a hog shot with a pellet gun. I do think you can stretch what is ethical a tad too far. As far as a 22, my grandfather slaughtered hogs every year from 1905 until after the Korean war and every one fell to his trusty (and rusty) 22.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like fun. Now you have to let Brandon go along and show the rest of us how it is to be done. :wink:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

nice shooting Joe
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just show does'nt it!

Well done.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Thats a good huntin story. Thanks
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Joe, Why in front of the eye? I can't find any hog anatomy that shows the skull anatomy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Tycer wrote:Joe, Why in front of the eye? I can't find any hog anatomy that shows the skull anatomy.
Because he was hunting in July, and everyone knows that a hog's brain swells in the heat.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My buddies joke about me because I have a tendency to fall asleep while deer hunting. Now I don't feel so bad. Good job.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Awwwwwww......... EVERYBODY KNOWS that a .22's no good for anything bigger than a squil' - ESPECIALLY a Henry ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P