New Member, Winchester 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CaliRN
Levergunner

New Member, Winchester 1895

Post by CaliRN »

Hi All,
New member here, long time bolt action shooter and handgun shooter. Recently purchased a
Winchester '95 in .30-'03 and am hoping to learn more about the rifle as well as reading all the wisdom here.

The rifle is a sporter with the shotgun buttplate and has seen better days. The buttstock appears to
have soft lead hammered into the sides (reinforcement?) and the front sight bead is worn/torn off.
The lower tang is missing a few screws and the hammer flops about, probably because the mainspring
is not affixed to the tang. When it gets out of gun jail (CA. 10 day wait) I plan to pull it down and do
a closer inspection on the internal condition and identify any missing or broken parts. Serial # is 736xx.

Plans for this rifle: I do NOT plan to do any restoration, this rifle while beat up has a ton of charecter
and that would be lost if the wood was redone to new (replaced) and the metal hand polished out and
reblued. First thing is to check the head space, next the barrel condition (seems to have clean sharp
rifling), then fix the hammer problem. If all is well at this point I may consider loading for it, or not. It
may take a place of honor over the fireplace, or I may sell it to someone who has a love for these rifles.
My main love is '97 shotguns, so this may have to go one day to fund more '97s...

Question:
1. What front sight was proper for this rifle, serial number seems to indicate manufacture in 1915.
I have read that it was a Lyman #21, Winchester #21 and have been unable to find a replacement.
Neither Lyman or Marble catalogs anything close.

Thanks for reading,

CaliRN
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Member, Winchester 1895

Post by Alan Wood »

Welcome to the fire.
Some one more familiar with original Winchester 1895's should be along shortly. I find your 30-03 somewhat concerning in that there were two us service calibers that the 1895 was chambered in. You need to be very sure which one this is. One was 30-40 krag but under a different name, and then if I recall right 30-06 . Never heard of 30-03 in an original 1895. But like I said someone who can steer you right on what your rifle can shoot should be along shortly.
CaliRN
Levergunner

Post by CaliRN »

Thank you for the Welcome Sir,
The top of the barrel is marked ".30 US '03" and some of the reading I did seems to indicate that
this rifle was produced in this caliber, later to become the .30-06. Apparently the '06 neck is
somewhat shorter than the '03, and some have stated that it is OK to shoot the '06 in an '03 chamber.
Me, I prefer to shoot the proper dimensioned brass in my rifles anyhow.

Thanks again for the welcome,
CaliRN
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Your welcome!

I strongly sugest you wait for word from someone far more familiar with original 1895s than I before firing this weapon. The wording on the barrel does indeed sugest the original 30-03 version of 30-06 but be aware the 30-06 versions have had a reputation for developing head space problems! As I said earlier someone far more familiar than I with the 1895s should come along. Though at this time of night it might be most of a day before they do. Sounds like a fine peice indeed to a collector. But as a shooter well I suspect that I would be selling it to a collector and buying a shooter. But that's just me.
Alan Wood
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Welcome to the fire!!

If you could post a picture of the front sight area that would help. Front sights on all round barrels were an intergral ramp front with a pinned blade. If yours is missing the blade, it will be hard to find a ready replacement, and you may have to get one made up.

From Madis' sight book, it looks like either a #39A or #41A ramp, with a #53 or #55 blade.

The Lyman 21 is a receiver sight. The Winchester #21 is a dovetailed sporting sight, which would not be correct for your rifle.

About the cartridge, the '06s tended to deform the bolt, causing headspace problems. Even more typical was peening(?) at the bolt face, which must be repaired with a bushing. I have seen a few '03s and haven't noticed these problems on them. I suspect they were generally shot a lot less, and probably with lower pressure ammo that a lot of the '06s.

Anyway, it sounds like a fun project. Good luck with getting her up and running.
Chad
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The M. 95 was chambered in 30/03. You can use 30/06 in it with no problem. The headspace can be an issue. A small amount is acceptable if you reload as the cases will lengthen with moderate loads. I only shoot modest reloads in my 95's but they are fairly strong actions. I see no reason to hot rod loads in old guns. Screws and some parts are available. Just type in Winchchester Model 95 Parts and sites will come up for you.
CaliRN
Levergunner

Post by CaliRN »

Thank you all for your words.
I am still debating what exactly (if anything) to do to this rifle. I read an interesting article sent to
me by the folks at RareWinchesters.com which dealt with restoration, and the more I think about
this, the more I want to keep the dents and gouges.

CaliRN
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

funny thing,

i can't see the pics, you must have posted. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Welcome. Hope you enjoy it here as much as I have.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CaliRN
Levergunner

Post by CaliRN »

Sorry,
No pics until the rifle is out of gun jail (CA. 10 day wait).
Will post pictures later.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Welcome to the asylum..... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

An 03 95, these must be rare!

Welcome Sir, answers from common ailments to your hammer spring weight are all catered for here :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Welcome! I would shoot cast boolits out that if it were mine. 210 grain Lyman .310" gas checked bollits at 2000-2100 fps - good for target or hunting and easy on the rifle.

Looking forward to the pics!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard!!! :D :D :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Welcome to the asylum..... :wink:
That's US...! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Warning ! - beware of ENABLERS...! Danger !
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CaliRN
Levergunner

Post by CaliRN »

Thanks All!
I hope that once I get the rifle out of gun jail that I can do a complete tear down and inspect
parts and report status, as well as some pictures. Cast bullets sounds really fun with this
rifle! Will have to break out the lubrisizer...

CaliRN
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome. Grab a cup and sit back for the ride.
Old Law Dawg