Question for 45/70 friends.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Question for 45/70 friends.

Post by Nath »

I did ask this yesterday but maybe it got overlooked.
Have any of you 45/70 or similar fans that use the plodding ( :wink: ) BP loads used a pure lead bullet with appropriate lubing. I'm wondering if pure lead would work ok at say 1100fps?????
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nath I haven't used pure lead in the 45-70, have tho in variuos bullets in muzzleloaders. Worked allright near as I could tell. Also the old Speer swaged bullets were pretty much pure lead, and have run those into the 1000+fps range from handgusns.
Sized and lubed well they should work fine in your rifle.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE GOVERNMENT DEVELOPEMENT TESTS FOR THE 45 GOV'T CARTRIDGE SHOWED IT DID NOT WORK ALL THAT WELL WITH PURE LEAD BULLETS. A 1-15 OR 1-20 ALLOY WAS FAR SUPERIOR IN EVERY ASPECT AND SHOT A HECK OF A LOT CLEANER. TRUTH BE TOLD 1-20 BULLETS ARE ONLY SLIGHTLY LESS SOFT THAN BUBBLE GUM. IN THAT FORM THEY STILL COULD NOT BE USED IN THE FIRST NEW MARLIN LEVERGUN THE GOV'T TESTED WITHOUT THE PROBLEM OF OCCASIONAL BLOWUPS IN THE MAGAZINE TUBE. IT JUST ABOUT T-TOTALLY TRASHED THE EFFORT TO EVER SELL THE GOV'T A LEVER ACTION RIFLE OF ANY DESCRIPTION IN ANY CALIBER. WHY THEY WERE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO GO WITH 405gr LFN BULLETS INSTEAD OF RN BULLETS BAFFLES ME TO NO END. OH.....MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE IT WAS THE GUMMIT IN ACTION...THAT MUST BE IT.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cheers Don, I don't have a 45/70 but do feel my self being pulled that way :wink: It is popular over hear some and what with me being a tite'n in the wallet area am ever wondering the versatility of the above mentioned. Stuffing a round ball in the case for small game/ varmints I know of. I know the M/L use pure lead but have not heard of it in a BP load for this cartridge......!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cheers Terry, I wonder why It did not work? Any imfo? I can understand the mag problem. I was thinking of this in a single shot rifle.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I THINK IT IS DUE TO THE SHOCK OF THE EXPLODING POWDER BANGING THE BULLET AROUND PRETTY GOOD ON IT'S WAY INTO THE BARREL. I MEAN TO TELL YOU IT REALLY KICKS THE stuff OUT OF IT. REMEMBER THAT PURE LEAD ROUND BALL WORKS WELL IN A ML BECAUSE IT IS A ROUND BALL.
IF YOU RE-READ " THE MUZZLELOADING CAPLOCK RIFLE, " DR MANN'S BOOK " THE BULLETS FLIGHT FROM POWDER TO TARGET ", AND THE WRITINGS OF POPE YOU WILL FIND THAT AN ALLOY OF AROUND 1-20 WORKED THE BEST IN ALL OF THOSE BP RIFLES WHEN SHOOTING CONICAL/SUGARLOAF/MODERN STYLE LEAD BULLETS [ NON RN ].
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Nath wrote:Cheers Terry, I wonder why It did not work? Any imfo? I can understand the mag problem. I was thinking of this in a single shot rifle.
The problem with the government tests of the 1881 Marlin rifle was that Marlin had specified that a flat point bullet be used for safety reasons. The military insisted on testing the rifles with the standard issue round nose bullets and as a result experienced problems with cartridges firing in the magazine.

So far as the pure Lead bullets, this just isn't a satisfactory bullet metal by itself. A small percentage of Tin hardens the metal slightly and gives it much better self-lubricating characeristics.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nath there's a good many folks shooting 30,40 and 50-1 alloyed bullets on BPCR firing lines. Those are pretty dang close to pure lead.
I think you'll like the 45 70 its an awfully good cartridge and one that's easy to work with, plust the fact that components are easy and cheap to find.
:lol: One other thing the 45-70 single shots have going for them , its only a few twists of the reamer and presto chango you got a 45-90, or 100 or 100 etc. :shock: