USFA Revolvers---45 Colt??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

USFA Revolvers---45 Colt??

Post by HEAD0001 »

Anybody familiar with the USFA line of single action revlovers. I was going to buy a BlackHawk but I keep leaning toward the real thing. I looked at the new Colt's but they have a transfer bar like the BlackHawk. That turned me off. If I could find a good 3rd. generaton 45 Colt I would strongly consider it, however the USFA looks like thenext best thing. What do you guys think?? I know a lot of you guys like the Vaquero, and I have not ruled that out. However I would like to know a little more about the USFA, and possibly the Beretta's. Tom.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: USFA Revolvers---45 Colt??

Post by awp101 »

I had one of the Rodeos and I liked it. I would imagine the Rodeo II is just as good as the original Rodeo.

Just be aware they are limited to original pressures so no full throttle Ruger loads.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

New Colts have a transfer bar? They certainly don't tout it on the web site. Well then, get an old Colt...

I have a couple of USFAs. VERY nice guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think what you saw was a Colt Cowboy. An attempt at a cheaper SAA that failed miserably and was discontinued a number of years ago.
The real Colt SAA doesn't have any transfer bar, it's still the way it's always been.
For Colt to put a transfer bar in their SAA would be synonymous to putting a loaded gun to their head and pulling the trigger.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am by no means an expert on the new Colt single actions. As a matter of fact I am a novice on the new ones. All I know is when I went on their web site it says they have a transfer bar. And you can not find a single picture on the web site that shows the old style hammer. That s all I am saying. I can easily be wrong.

A "CHEAPER" Colt. Now that is funny. Tom.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Colt Peacemakers have never had & do not now have a transfer bar.
The current Colts are quite nice, quality is up over early Third Gens & the guns are now built to be fired, which was not the case for several years.

USFA guns are very well made, the best of the Colt clones that I've seen, and typically oversprung.

The Ruger Blackhawk is not authentic to the original Peacemaker design, but will outlast the Colt & the USFA single-actions in durability and strength.

Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

HEAD0001 wrote:I am by no means an expert on the new Colt single actions. As a matter of fact I am a novice on the new ones. All I know is when I went on their web site it says they have a transfer bar. And you can not find a single picture on the web site that shows the old style hammer. That s all I am saying. I can easily be wrong.

Please to give link to this site. I was just on Colts Commercial site ( http://www.coltsmfg.com/default.aspx ) and they said no such thing, nor showed any hammer back pictures at all.
'
Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

1a). Colt SAA if you can afford it (about $1150-1300 blued vs nickel). +1 these "4th" (late 3rd) gen Colts are as nice as they've made in a long time.

1b). USFA Pre War (about $1150-1300). 99.5% copy of early 20th Century 1st Gen Colts. .5% part is slightly larger cylinder (visually imperceptible in daily use) and obviously no "Colt" pony or name. The way to go if you've got the jingle but don't care abou the Colt name (Note they have a pricier-yet new model that is a 99.9% copy of earlier "blackpowder" era (late 1800s) pinched frame Colts with the smaller/exact early Colt cylinder vs the slightly larger cylinder standard on other USFAs.)

2). USFA SAA if you can't afford above (about $850-950 blued). Very good "compromise" giving virtually nothing up and is the most "apples to apples" comparison to 1a) above. Antiqued "Gunslinger" is a pre-aged variant on this--about $150-200 more.

3). USFA Rodeo if you can't afford that ($550-700). Then DIY antique it up to get rid of that finish and give it some character :-) same good innards as pricier USFA models, so you give nothing up mechanically.

Note: unlike Colt, all USFAs come standard with the nice 1st Gen "blackpowder" cylinder chamfer. Colt = extra cost.

I skipped over other USFA sub-variants like the Rodeo II (satin nickel with brown "rubber" grips) and outmoded Cowboy (Colt's also outmoded--and outclassed--Cowboy was already mentioned by someone)...and you can option any USFAs to your heart's (and wallet's) content.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I made a mistake about the transfer bar. I have been looking at a bunch of web sites and I must how gotten confused on what I thought I saw. I know that I intentionally looked at the pistols on the Colt web site. And it was impossible to tell whether the revolver had a transfer bar or not because they did not show any pictures of the hammer pulled back. Sorry for the mistake.

I was looking at the USFA because they have a promotion where they are giving a second 45ACP cylinder at no additional charge for the month I believe. Hwever I believe it said they would honor the special through Feb?? It looks like a pretty nice revolver.
I wonder what kind of accuracy people are getting form them?? Tom.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

HEAD0001 wrote:I made a mistake about the transfer bar. I have been looking at a bunch of web sites and I must how gotten confused on what I thought I saw. I know that I intentionally looked at the pistols on the Colt web site. And it was impossible to tell whether the revolver had a transfer bar or not because they did not show any pictures of the hammer pulled back. Sorry for the mistake.

I was looking at the USFA because they have a promotion where they are giving a second 45ACP cylinder at no additional charge for the month I believe. Hwever I believe it said they would honor the special through Feb?? It looks like a pretty nice revolver.
I wonder what kind of accuracy people are getting form them?? Tom.
Tom,
I am not brand loyal unless that brand really works for me. I've got S&Ws, Rugers, a H&R Sportsman and an Uberti revolver. Each does something and they all work.
As much as I want a real Colt SAA, if the USFA made a good offer such as the extra ACP cylinder at no charge I'd give it serious consideration.
I've read a lot of threads and comments about the quality of the USFA guns and only remember one for sure and maybe two negative reports.
The thing that kind of bugs me about the Colts is they insist on using the old black powder SAAMI specs in the cylinder throats which almost requires the use of larger bullets.
From what I've read USFA uses modern specs and is much more hand loader friendly.

No problem about the t-x bar thing, we all make goofs. Even me ..... :oops:

Joe
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I have a USFA 45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrel and it is a work of art. I don't regret having bought it and am looking forward to getting at least one more some day. I like to have another 45 Colt or 44-40 with a 4 3/4" barrel and a 32-20 the same way.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

You won't go wrong buying a USFA!!!

My Rodeo started like this....

SHOT like this at 15 yards (2 hand standing)...

After a little rubbin' to knock off some of the edges...looks like this...

And goes great with this!!!!!

I like it so much...I bought another one exactly like it...and it shoots like this at 15 yds....

It's the first time I've bought two of the same model of gun (aside from a few Ruger 10/22's that I bought for the boys). The newest one is at Jack Huntington's getting the same super slick action job my first one received!!! I guess you can say I like 'em. You can't beat the price to quality ratio!!! Good luck in whatever you decide!!!

Happy Trails,

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

HEAD0001 wrote:I am by no means an expert on the new Colt single actions. As a matter of fact I am a novice on the new ones. All I know is when I went on their web site it says they have a transfer bar. And you can not find a single picture on the web site that shows the old style hammer. That s all I am saying. I can easily be wrong.

Where does it say they have a transfer bar? I could not find that reference. You are correct, not one photo of a gun with hammer cocked showing the firing pin.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Hobie wrote:

Where does it say they have a transfer bar? I could not find that reference. You are correct, not one photo of a gun with hammer cocked showing the firing pin.
See above post about transfer bar.

You said you have a couple of the USFA's. Which ones, and how do they shoot?? What kind of groups do you get at 25 yards?? Tom.
ladder13
Levergunner

Post by ladder13 »

USFA in 44 sp that I got late last year, quality is impeccable ....or sumtin' like that.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

HEAD0001 wrote:
Hobie wrote:

See above post about transfer bar.

You said you have a couple of the USFA's. Which ones, and how do they shoot?? What kind of groups do you get at 25 yards?? Tom.
I actually have three. All seem to shoot darn well with loads using 8.5 gr. Unique under a 250 gr. Keith. I need to get them out more and shoot an all important group for you. All I've been doing is hitting head sized rocks out to 60-75 yards whenever I want.
Sincerely,

Hobie

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I would say that shooting head sized rocks at 75 yards is darn good shooting.

Did you have to do any work to the sights when you received your revolver?? Or did you regulate your load to the sights??

I do not have a lot of experience with fixed sights. So I was wondering about a revolver like this with a 45 Colt and a 45 ACP cylinders?? Wouldn't these two cylinders have different POI's??

Thanks for your information. I am just trying to learn.

I realize that sometimes I obsess over group size. And that is probably a mistake. Sorry, Tom.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Stump Buster wrote:You won't go wrong buying a USFA!!!

After a little rubbin' to knock off some of the edges...looks like this...

Happy Trails,

Stump
How did you do that?? That is one good looking job. Thanks for posting. Tom.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

HEAD0001 wrote:I would say that shooting head sized rocks at 75 yards is darn good shooting.

Did you have to do any work to the sights when you received your revolver?? Or did you regulate your load to the sights??

I do not have a lot of experience with fixed sights. So I was wondering about a revolver like this with a 45 Colt and a 45 ACP cylinders?? Wouldn't these two cylinders have different POI's??

Thanks for your information. I am just trying to learn.

I realize that sometimes I obsess over group size. And that is probably a mistake. Sorry, Tom.
#1 no apologies necessary. I just don't always care about groups myself.

I kinda regulate the load to the gun. 8.5 gr. Unique under the Keith bullet. It seems to work in most guns. I've used it in 4 so far.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Basically, I scratched the muzzle area somehow (can't remember now) and decided to rub the finish away to hide the silver colored scratch. A little lapping compount or JB's bore paste on a Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth and the finish wore down a little at a time. I tried to hit the areas where I thought a holster would eventually wear the finish away and the areas where the lettering is stamped.

Jack was impressed when he saw the revolver and thought it was "just right". I'm happy enough with it that I'm going to do my new one when it gets back from Jack's the same way. Now I have to scratch some funds together so our own Buck Elliott can fold and stitch some leather for me. :D

Here's a couple more pics...

It's a bit darker (like in the rifle photo above), but the lighting makes it look silver. I'll try and get some new photo's up in the next few weeks.

Take Care,

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Post by twoguns »

I have handled Colts, USFA, AWI, Cimmaron, Uberti, and a couple of others. The AWI was slick and smooth, better that the others. I'd love to have a Colt, just for the braggin rights. Can't afford that. My sweetie and I are in a Cowboy Fast Draw club and shoot every month. Fast draw is tough on guns. I found a pair of Ubertis on Gunbroker.com and I spent a couple of weekends replacing springs with Wolff, polishing internal parts, giving it a trigger job, and making new grips. http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?aid ... 1604660410

For the price I feel like I have a decent firearm after my gunsmithing. YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by twoguns on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A man on a gallopin' horse in the middle of the night would never know the difference.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Twoguns,

Those grips are beautiful (BOTH sets)!!! Sounds like you get to shoot more than I do and it's good the hear the Uberti's are working well too!!! The basic SAA design is still a wonderful piece of machinery that will serve just as well today as it did in the late 1800's!!! The BIGGEST plus is that they're soo nice to look at!!!! :wink:

Single Action Sixguns and Leverguns.....Can't go wrong with either.
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

This was a USFA .45 Colt I had for several years. The Tru-Ivory grips looks and felt better than a real set on a Colt SAA that I have...

It shot standard 255s right over POA at 15 yards...

This is my first USFAs gun when the company was still US Pt. Firearms. It is a .22 Magnum and from what one of the senior smiths at the factory told me only two .22 Magnums were ever made and the other is still at the factory. I am trying at this time to get that in writing...

Also have a 5.5" Flat Top Target in .22/.22 Magnum that shoots like a dream. The reason I sold both my USFA and Colt .45s is to finance a Flat Top Target in .41 Special...

Quality is top notch...Bob