Fishbelly stock on a 1886?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Fishbelly stock on a 1886?

Post by twoguns »

I just picked up my new to me-1986 made Browning model 1886 from my FFL buddy. I searched long and hard for this particular version. For a 24 year old rifle, it looks brand spanky new. I wont bore you with pics until I restock it and get all of the other work done. But, the straight grip stock has a fish belly curvature on the bottom. I've stocked many muzzleloading rifles and a few HP ones and never made one look like that. Is there some thing I don't know about rifle stocking- (entirely possible). It just looks a bit wierd to me. If'n it is meant to make the rifle recoil more inline wi\th the bore, why not design that into the receiver-tang geometry?

Happy Lever-gun newby with questions,

Ken
A man on a gallopin' horse in the middle of the night would never know the difference.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Fishbelly stock on a 1886?

Post by Malamute »

I have a carbine, the stock shape doesnt bother me in the least, other than I'd prefer a shotgun butt. I've seen a few comments about the shape, it seems like it could be straightened out pretty easily with a rasp and sandpaper.

Is yours a rifle or carbine? I have a rifle also, I cut it to 22", installed a good receiver sight and sling swivel studs, and swapped for a shotgun butt from an 1886 Lightweight. The octagon barrel is going to get turned round also, to lighten it up.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I'm no engineer, but maybe the tang geometry you mention needed to be a certain angle/arrangement in order for the lever to be properly placed. I agree, the stocks have always looked a little weird to me, but I've gotten used to them.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Levers can be made to fit the tang.

FWIW on my .454 rifle, I did change the angle of the tangs, for just that reason.
edit: Not to get rid of the fishbelly, but to straighten the stock geometry and raise the comb line...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm living with it. Can't see it when I'm shooting. Didn't bother the Savage 99s with such...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I believe some of the old Winchesters had somewhat of a belly on 'em. Abilene
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I happen to like the perch bellyed stocks I've seen both on Savages and the one model 94 I saw!