why would anyone want a Finnwolf?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

why would anyone want a Finnwolf?

Post by big bear »

Since I caught the lever virus , I've found out about the joys of the 71, the grace of the 99, romance of 1886, and so forth...94,88,53,95,64( and yes , I do blame you guys for this predicament :evil: .I appear to fortunately be immune to the Marlin strain of the virus as I never come accross any of the old ones and the new ones seem so, so.... oh well you know.But, I am balking at the Finnwolf. It is rare, valuable elegant...everytime I get close to one;however, this nagging problem rears up. I shoot my rifles, as much and often as time allows. If by chance I had a Finnwolf,alas, I would shoot it,alot. From what I have seen spare "anythings" for Finnwolfs are non existent. Like , when was the last time you saw a Finnwolf magazine for sale?. I haven't worn out any long arms yet(cracked the frame on a Sig 226 once :roll: ), but I have had screws bent, lost, magazines that didn't work, etc. So you get yourself a lovely Finnwolf. You enjoy yourself shooting it and lo and behold the magazine starts to stutter, firing pin gets chipped or broken with a bad reload/faulty store bought round. :o :( Now what in blazes do you do? So like I was asking, why would anyone want a Finnwolf? Help me out now and clear this issue up, I've passed up 2 now (lost to some other guys without these qualms ,in truth) because I hesitated before I leapt because of this concern and that's in less than 2 months, and we all know they don't come up very often. I'm going to go do some reloading and check back later to see if anyone put a new log in the fire.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: why would anyone want a Finnwolf?

Post by Streetstar »

I met a guy who had a safe full of weird things (Blaser take down rifles, HK semi-autos (the hunting rifles, not the black rifles) , Heym rifles, many mannlicher stock items and other "euro-trash" things like that ) He said he loved the Blasers- which i dont get, i think they're odd, much like you and I also think the Finnwolf is odd --- but there are enough people out there who think they are cool to make them viable i guess --- and those weird Blaser rifles had some of the nicest craftsmanship i had seen.

But in addiition , the guy also had a safe full of single shot Sharps rifles, as well as benchrest rifles out the kazoo -- no leverguns though. I asked him why and he said he just didnt get the fascination with them . Next time we go shooting, i am going to let him shoot some of mine - maybe he'll catch the bug

What a blown out answer -- but i was really trying to say that there is something out there for anyone --- even people who like finnwolf's and weird German switch barrel rifles :lol: :D
----- Doug
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

"What if" ruined a lot of good fun. Since you don't depend on a rifle for your livelyhood (I suspect you wouldn't starve without one) shooting one is for fun. I'd say get a Finnwolf (ifn' ya really want one) shoot it and if it breaks, make a project out of finding parts. If on a hunt, take a backup in case the firing pin gets chipped or a magazine gets bent. If you worry about what might happen, you might end up staying in bed all day! :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

gotta love the odd ball guns :lol: I own more odd ball rifles than levers.everyone of my finn's sako,tikka VKT ( valmet) are tack drivers.
pete
DAV life member.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I can understand your hesitation. I have a sako bolt action .222 that was my grandfathers it came to me without the magazine :(. It was a little searching, to find a replacement magazine and it was not cheap.

Want and need are two very different things fortunately.

Chris
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

What's weird about a Blaser take-down? I have one and it can shoot the eye out of a fly! It's my when I really want to reach out and touch something rifle :D Mine was pulled from the original lot sent over for trials, has a 2 digit serial number and the original 10 round magazine version. I don't think any of these original style/variation made it into production, I've never seen another anyhow. The current are called LRS2 and the originals just R93 Tacticals, but I guess the "I" wasn't added to WWI until WWII came around...

I love odd/weird stuff, any 22 odd, weird, handmade, or anything else pistol/rifle I can get my hands on (and afford) I buy. My "Furter" is probably my favorite oddball pistol and my A.A.Clive the rifle. I just wrote an article for a journal on that so I have a picture handy, it's a boys rifle the only other thumb trigger besides the Winchester I've ever seen. I'm working on an "American Boy's Rifle" site with lots of information and maybe a forum but it's just not ready yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Because it is there....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Keep in mind that really good, talented, old-school gunsmiths will MAKE parts for out-of-production guns, as necessary. Many "gunsmiths" in gunshops today are really parts-changers or armorers, more so than true gunsmiths.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Rexster wrote:Keep in mind that really good, talented, old-school gunsmiths will MAKE parts for out-of-production guns, as necessary. Many "gunsmiths" in gunshops today are really parts-changers or armorers, more so than true gunsmiths.
anymore, old school gunsmiths are about as rare as spare mags for Finnwolf rifles.Must be getting old, cause it seems the good old days are really fading fast.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I guess my house is the statue of liberty of the gun world. Give me your tired , your broken, your weird caliber guns. The only reason I don't own a Finnwolf is every one I see is priced so stinkin high, I just as well buy another 88. As for '"if the magazine were wore out" I guess I would have a fancy lever action single shot.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I also like 'weird' stuff. Bolt action carbines with short whispy barrels, .35 cal firearms and craziest of all as far as some of my 'akkrasy' loving mates are concerned, lever action rifles or light whispy carbines in .35 cal.

I say enjoy your weird european bolt action rifle and don't worry about criticism.

There is room for us all
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Do you like the 88? Think of the Finnwolf as a Euro 88. Very accurate rifles. 1886.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I wanted one because they are rare, & I searched all over Australia for 5 years to get one with no luck. A local Gunsmith saw my wish list about 2 years ago & said a fellow that I had never met only 4 kilometres from my house had one. Two phone calls & about 3 months later it was mine. It is in .243 & is one of the most accurate rifles in my collection, having accounted for 5 deer, 12 roos & a hare. But then if you have to ask why, you probably don't want one anyway.
Pete
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party