Would you guys have any interest in a premium Handi-Rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Would you guys have any interest in a premium Handi-Rifle?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I like the NEF Handi-Rifles but I don't like the beach stocks and plastic fittings. I know that these things make them more affordable and don't affect function one bit, but I'd like to see a version with MIM steel fittings (trigger guard and the bracket that fits between the receiver and the handguard) and a walnut stock. The current stock configuration is fine - they've slimmed down the wrist and I like the straight buttstock. Maybe do the handgard with the schnable again though - I like that.

Could do all in Stainless with their laminate wood too - would be very nice.

So what do you guys think? Would you pay say, $360 for this vs $260 for the standard?

I would.

And I know they have their Buffalo Classics but those have the plastic parts too...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Re: Would you guys have any interest in a premium Handi-Rifle?

Post by cnjarvis »

No. I have a H&R Ultra Rifle in 223 but if it were going to cost $300+, I'd rather buy a bolt gun.

I think that the Stevens 200 and Rem 710's can be had NIB for around the same price you're talking about. The H&R/NEF rifles are intended to be budget rifles so upgraded wood and hardware would defeat the purpose.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nah, keep 'em cheap.

"Premium" and "Handi" don't really go well together IMO.
NRA Life Member
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ya can't get blood out of a turnip, but ya can screw up a perfectly good turnip trying.

Keep em what they are, an affordable, utilitarian gun. Though a metal trigger guard would be worth the extra $3 it would really cost.
Certified gun nut
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K.,

When I looked at them I liked the molded black polymer stock.It just seemed to fit much tighter and looked better in that gun.But that is just my own perspective.Myself since the gun is not all Stainless on the SS model(receiver is nickel plated) I would do the synthetic stock and spend the extra $100 on another barrel on the barrel program.
Say, buy the 45-70 and then maybe get the .300 Win Mag barrel etc. or say a heavy Stainless varmit caliber barrel.

Kinda cool to get both for around $350

But if you really want a nice little Single Action I say look em over and get what floats your boat.
I have been very happy with mine and actually shoot it more than my Ruger#1

Good Luck!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I wasn't suggesting that they change the standard model. I was suggesting that they offer a nicer one too. They already do this with their "ultra" and "buffalo classic" models - this would just be a different upgrade...

I like the one that I have and the 12 guage shotty too but I don't really like that plastic on there and would've paid more to get an all steel version with nicer wood....

And I have a Stevens 200 - but you know, I replaced the trigger and painted the stock after sanding the mold lines off.... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That's true. ya, If they came out with a much nicer one(sure,I would spend another $100) and not think twice. Maybe I just got a good one but my 2007 H&R 45-70 has been very accurate and reliable so I would pay $360 for one like you say without a doubt.Much better gun than I really expected it to be.

I use mine all the time also attached to my lobster claw style front gun mount on my ATV.

All stainless with nice laminate_________________Yep
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my post. My current Handi-Rifle is also a 45-70 and I have a 4x Leupold mounted on it. It's my "Mississippi muzzleoader". They allow a Handi-Rifle or other "period single shot" type rifle chamberd for a round 38 caliber or larger. When they passed this law a few years back, there was an immediate run on thes and a consequent shortage!

And in thinking about this... maybe they'd be better to just make the replacement/upgrade parts and sell those...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Ya can't get blood out of a turnip, but ya can screw up a perfectly good turnip trying."
--Adirandack Jack

BINGO!, and you get the best $.05 cee-gar in the box....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great idea O.S.O.K.
Wonder what NEF/H&R would say to ya if you questioned them on that??
How does yours shoot with that nice 4X Leupold??? Any problems????
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

madman4570 wrote:Great idea!
Wonder what NEF/H&R would say to ya if you questioned them on that??
How does yours shoot with that nice 4X Leupold??? Any problems????
Mine shoots great - 2", 3-shot groups with factory duplication loads (300 gr hp's at 1800 fps). ETA - 100 yards.

And I don't regard the Handi-Rifles as "turnips". They are more like diamonds in the rough. ;)

But don't misunderstand that - I would only spend so much on upgrading a Handi. If I wanted a Ruger No. 1, I'd spend the cash and get one :)
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Like your thinking O.S.O.K. :wink:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, sometimes I seem to be spot on with others and sometimes I'm out in left field :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

A premium Handi-Rifle is called a Ruger No.1.......
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, sometimes I seem to be spot on with others and sometimes I'm out in left field :lol:

Your not alone on that one brother-------- I am sure off on "plenty of stuff!"

See ya!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

MrMurphy wrote:A premium Handi-Rifle is called a Ruger No.1.......
For $350? Sign me up! ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

In answer to the OP's question, "Would you guys have any interest in a premium Handi-Rifle?"

No!!
ED
Yer never too old
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd just be happy if H&R would profile/style the Handi's wood stocks as nicely as the synthetic stocks are.

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Upgrading a Handi Rifle is a lot like putting lipstick on a pig.
It is a good gun for what it is but there is no way to make it in to a high grade gun.
The lack of off the shelf interchangeable barrels is a major design fault of the gun.
The internal parts being secured with splined pins is the end of the story.

I would say that the TC Contender carbine is the next step up in quality and utility.
I don't see a lot of the Contender carbines around and that probably speaks loudly to the marketability of the concept.
By the time you have made a nice single shot break open rifle, you cold have made an equally nice bolt gun that many more people will buy.

Jack
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't know that I'd pay more for a "premium' version of an inexpensive rifle.

I like Handi-Rifles, but they are what they are.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

jhrosier wrote:Upgrading a Handi Rifle is a lot like putting lipstick on a pig.
Jack
Or putting a whale tale on a Yugo, or putting a saddle ring on a carbine, or owning a "black" rifle…some folks just think it looks better.
jhrosier wrote:The lack of off the shelf interchangeable barrels is a major design fault of the gun.
Jack
Absolutely
jhrosier wrote: I would say that the TC Contender carbine is the next step up in quality and utility.
Jack
I wouldn’t. I'd say it's a side-step. They’re a bit more expensive but not a bit more accurate.
jhrosier wrote: … you cold[sic] have made an equally nice bolt gun that many more people will buy.
Jack
Now there’s your pig with lipstick.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Interesting response - mostly "no".

That flies in the face of the obvious success of the other upgraded versions that they currently market - the ultra, buffalo classic, etc.

Weird.

Oh, and they of course will fit a barrel to your receiver rifle if you want another caliber, so not as good an answer as the TC, but does work.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

H & R offers a high grade laminated wood stock on their "Ultra Hunter" and "Ultra Varmint" models, including a thumb-hole model.

Several years ago the "Ultra Varmint" had a fancy maple stock.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/hunter.asp
Last edited by 765x53 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I admit I'm a Handiholic. I have more Handis than I even know about. That way I can't count them. The answers to all things Handi related are here: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

At one time there was a stickey on the forum asking who would be interested in a metal triggerguard and spacer. The sticky seems to have gone away now. Everyone seemed to have their own ideas. Some wanted aluminum, some wanted brass. some wanted it to be in the rough to keep prices down. If you look on the Graybeard's forum one of the sponsor's is Talley Mfg., who makes rings and mounts. that is the company that was looking into the possibilities of making these pieces.

Last I heard there was a company that made the triggerguards and sold them through Brownells, but quality was always said to be less than what most people wanted.

You can also look around and find a really old Handi usually in a shotgun that will have metal fittings. Some of the older muzzleloaders had brass fittings.

The factory will also sell you a set of walnut stocks like those that they put on the deluxe shotguns. Swampman has a 20 Ga. that he fitted with a set of those that are beautiful. I'm sure he'd post a picture of it here if you ask.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I were going to pay much more, I'd get an Encore.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

not for me
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I bought a Handi-Rifle in .45-70 when they first came back out. It's light weight and that cartridge did not endear it to me, but the reason I got rid of it was the trigger. An 8-9 lb trigger on any rifle is a killer for me, and I'm not paying for a $75 trigger job on a $200 rifle.

If they could make them to have a consistant 3-3.5 pound trigger, the wood and other items don't bother me a bit, and get the price down to about $200 I'd be intested in one in .22 Hornet. If not I don't figure I'll ever own another.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, the trick to that is being able to dry fire it before you buy to check the tirgger weight/brake. These do have a varying trigger pull... but the two that I have are more like 5 pounds and tollerable. Further, you can slick these up yourself...

But I would think perhaps some extra attention to the trigger could be included with the upgrade.

And ya'll might be interested to know that they already responded to me - I sent them a fax letter yesterday thanking them for making a great product and suggesting the upgrade model.

They indicated that they'd received "many requests" from others about the same thing. So maybe they'll do a limited run or something to see how it goes. Apparently, I'm not alone on this one.

They've done this before - Ducks Unlimited special editions, etc. - my buddy has one such with walnut stocks -but its the old "fat" stock configuration. I think his was a Mississippi wildlife something or other special edition. The reciever is also polished up nice on his.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

The only thing that even makes me look twice at the Handi's is their cheap price. Makes em tempting but even then that hasn't even been enough to get me to buy one. With the availability of the lower end bolt guns like the Marlins and Stevens' I doubt I ever will. Although when the wife has the checking account drained close to empty I've thought about a Handi in .357 in lieu of the lever gun I'm wanting. Never see them around here though.

So to answer the question......No, I wouldn't pay $350 for an upgraded Handi.

LK
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K. wrote: And ya'll might be interested to know that they already responded to me - I sent them a fax letter yesterday thanking them for making a great product and suggesting the upgrade model.

They indicated that they'd received "many requests" from others about the same thing. So maybe they'll do a limited run or something to see how it goes. Apparently, I'm not alone on this one.
A Company these days that even get's back to you in such a timely manner is to be commended.
So many Companies these days once they get your money------------You dont hear from them again!
When I sent mine back for the extra $45(then) 12 ga barrel,they did a trigger job for free(4lbs)crisp was about 7lbs.
Cost of shipping was $10 to them,they paid the return. I thought the price was very good.
They had the gun for about 3 weeks! If I remeber right they also did the extra shotgun barrel/receiver fit for half price(like $12)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

A friend of mine who owns a gunshop, that I frequent a lot, always keeps a supply of Handi-rifles, because they are about his hottest seller. So, I know many people like and buy them, but I am sorry, I just never liked them. I am not rich, by any means, but frankly I would rather pay 500.00 to thousand, for something nicer, any day. They are just too clunky for me, and the trigger is usually pretty bad, and at a bad angle in relation to the stock/grip, etc which compounds the problem of a crappy trigger to start with. And I have seen several come back in to his shop with problems.

The only use I see for them is for someone who just can't afford a more expensive gun, or maybe for a kid's first gun or something, or maybe a beater gun, to keep in a pickup, boat, etc, when one would not want to risk more money, if it got stolen, etc.

So, the answer is no, I would not pay 300.00 or more for one, even if it had gold inlays, and fancy engraving, to boot. But's that just me, if you like them, then enjoy. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Those aren't plastic parts on the "Buffalo Classic", That's buffalo Horn!
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

A couple years ago I saw a handi-rifle at a custom rifle makers shop that was being "deluxed". Custom walnut stock and forearm, all the pin and screw heads flated out, deep blued receiver. The owner had three different barrels fitted to it which were all reblued. I don't recall the chamberings but they were one for varmints, deer size game and a big bore, 45-70 I think. It did look sharp. I have no idea what the final price tag was. I have no problem with using single shot rifles, and having seen this customized rig I'd have paid $350 for it with one barrel. That said, I like the synthetic stocked Handi the best. While plastic doesn't do anything for me, I find the trimness of them better than the wood stocks.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like them (just not the idea of a fancy custom one).

They DO make a good way to 'check out' a new cartridge you're interested in; if you get 'more' interested in that round, and buy a fancier gun, you'll still have the Handi as a 'truck' gun if you want. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow. Several have stated their preference for the synthetic versions. Blech. I don't like em at all. If they'd shape them the same as the standard wood version then I'd like em a lot more. The handguard in particular is ugly and unapealing to me.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

In a work 'no'.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The puzzling thing about this thread is, all the patriots who shoot Italian, Brazilian, Japanese, and Chinese lever guns are disparaging a gun made in America and hand fitted by American craftsmen.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

765x53 wrote:The puzzling thing about this thread is, all the patriots who shoot Italian, Brazilian, Japanese, and Chinese lever guns are disparaging a gun made in America and hand fitted by American craftsmen.
Uh oh. That's almost like calling a lead projectile a "boolit" :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:A premium Handi-Rifle is called a Ruger No.1.......
For $350? Sign me up! ;)

+1
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I would spend $350 IF I could get one with the old ejector system as opposed to the newer extractor system. My .243 and .308 both have ejectors and work fine but my 38/55 has the extractor, what a pain.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

765x53 wrote:The puzzling thing about this thread is, all the patriots who shoot Italian, Brazilian, Japanese, and Chinese lever guns are disparaging a gun made in America and hand fitted by American craftsmen.

Well, I must admit, I would much rather see "MADE IN USA" on anything I buy, I will even pay more for it, sometimes. However, quality and workmanship, wins out with me, above all else, and I don't have much use for cheap made guns, no matter who makes them.

I mostly buy older American guns, unless it's Japanese Brownings, or Belgium Brownings, or German or British side by sides, maybe some Italian replicas, which are of good quality, and without the stupid safety add ons. I don't care too much for the Chinese guns, although a few might have promise, with some work. And frankly I havn't been very satisifed with the stuff comming out of Brazil, however some of it's serviceable.

The Handi-rifles target a wide group of Americans that, as consumers, are price driven, and in this market, the Handi-rifle fills that spot, when Americans don't want to spend much money for a gun.

That's why even on the more expensive guns nowdays, we get plastic stocks, rough machine work, stiff actions, pressed checkering, and generally shotcuts of all kinds, terrible triggers, sorry wood to metal fit, you name it. It's because we as comsumers have voted with our checkbook, by buying cheap stuff, so that's what the companies make for us, nowdays.
NRA Life Member, Patron
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

As a life-long sole bread winner in a factory job I'll have to pass on $1200.00 guns no matter who makes them or how well.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Im in the camp that thinks the Handi's have a place in this world in the 200-250 price range --- any higher than that and i'd have to pass also (but i also dont like break top and/or switch barrel rifles that much as a general rule -- so i am a bit biased going in -- but seems to me the beauty of the rifle is its affordability --- $350 bucks and i would buy a 336 Marlin from Bass Pro or Wally)
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The last two handi rifles I have purchased had pretty good triggers on them actually. Better than most legal departments would like I'm sure. The ability to switch barrels is becoming an almost non issue to me any more. The shipping and fitting fees are going up, as are the costs of the barrels themselves. IMHO You're better off to just buy the full gun and be done with it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.