Pedersoli's new M71 but in 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Pedersoli's new M71 but in 45-70

Post by cowboykell »

I was going to chime in about originals...being an investment, and all that but 71fan beat me to it...he is right on the money.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:I finally found the info on this gun. I had a chance to handle one at the SHOT show. As usually Pedersoli's fit and finish is top shelf.

I still don't have the MSRP but plan on it being at least 20% more than the Chiappa Armi-Sport in the $1200 to $1400 range.
I scanned the brochure so the pictures aren't that great.

It sure is a darlin, but in 09, I bought an Browning 1886 SRC in the box for less.

The up side to this is that you won't have to go through all the BS of looking and hoping you get a gun no one lied about.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I notice the Winchester site lists this year a light grade 86 Winchester in 45-70. Since all a 71 is is an upgraded 86 in .358 this gun may fulfill the needs of many.

The 71 Winchester has become a cult gun, especially in the North where people respect its power and ergonomics. Original 71's are getting a bit to valuable for field use. I reckon Winchester will shortly do a rerun of 71's- which will I think sell better than the 71 Browning because of the Winchester name, and a run of 71 brass would occur at the same time.

IMO the Browning 71's would have sold better if they upgraded the wood a bit on normal models. Whilst manufacture of these guns was up to Browning quality the wood was to say the least very ordinary. I had one confess to having seen more grain in the side of some dog kennels.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The internal "improvements" made in the M-71 WINCHESTER were few, and mostly for reasons of cost. Most obvious is that the carrier lifter was done away with. In the original 1886 configuration, the lifter provides complete mechanical control of the cartridge from magazine to chamber.

The angled cut in the bolt, and matching surface of the locking-lugs was intended to facilitate easier feeding/lock-up when using the tapered, bottle-necked .348 cartridge. The angled locking geometry actually causes more problems in the real world than it solves, as many 71 users have noticed, especially when the 71 is redone to higher-intensity cartridges.

I still prefer the "squared up" geometry of the 1886.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

JFE wrote:While the 348 Win is undoubtedly a good cartridge, personally I doubt it will make a major come back. If those of you that were around at the time recall, when Browning made their version of the M-71, sales were brisk at first but supply quickly swamped demand and after satisfying the initial rush, sales languished. Inevitably new rifles were eventually marked down heavily to move them.

In fact you can still buy examples of Browning Model 71's from that production run very reasonably today. Those rifles are a bargain by todays standards having no tang safety, no rebounding hammer, were made of well machined and finished quality steel and had a match grade chamber.

Still the new Pedersoli is a welcome addition and it is a real pity Winchester themselves dont build what people want. It would be nice to see Pedersoli make a limited run in 50/110 or 50 Alaskan.
If I bought one, it would soon be a 50-110 or 50 ak!!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Buck Elliott wrote:Back just before the ORIGINAL 71's were discontinued, they cost a WHOPPING $85.00

In 1958 bucks...
Adjusted for inflation, that's about $645 today. I would buy several new ones at that price today.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I own one of the 71 Brownings The only safety feature departure from the originals that I can see is the inertia firing pin. I paid 1000.00 Can dollars for this thing used (though in excellant shape) I can't bring myself to the idea of rechambering it though and I would dearly love a 50 cal repeater. The .348 is a snappy cartridge all on it's own but I just want a repeater(TOO much Snooky Williamson). I have a .50 Barrel on order ,guess I'll stick it on a Ruger Num 1.
It would be nice if there were just a tiny bit more meat around the threads of a Marlin, they are easy to come by. I know some guys make 50's out of them but the wall thickness is a little light for my taste. Regards win92
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Buck Elliott wrote:The internal "improvements" made in the M-71 WINCHESTER were few, and mostly for reasons of cost. Most obvious is that the carrier lifter was done away with. In the original 1886 configuration, the lifter provides complete mechanical control of the cartridge from magazine to chamber.

The angled cut in the bolt, and matching surface of the locking-lugs was intended to facilitate easier feeding/lock-up when using the tapered, bottle-necked .348 cartridge. The angled locking geometry actually causes more problems in the real world than it solves, as many 71 users have noticed, especially when the 71 is redone to higher-intensity cartridges.

I can't agree more on the geometry of the 1886. Concerning the carrier lifter, though, my 71 has one. It's changed slightly from the '86, but there nonetheless. One of the biggest changes to the 71 was the use of a coil mainspring, rather than the flat one of the older model. I'm not particularly fond of the heavy lever curve, either. I would prefer the lesser angle of the PG 1886.

In this pic you can see the difference of the carriers on a 1935 vintage 1886(right) and a 71 made 12 yrs later. Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
R Busetti
Levergunner

Post by R Busetti »

I bought a Browing model 71 carbine when they came out. Love it! Bought several hundred 348 cases & numerous boxs of bullets. I even found factory ammo as cheap as $5.00 a box. Bought all the used brass I could find. Old rem-umc brass way lighter than any other make of brass. Old Winchester/Western way heavier than new Winchester brass. Have to keep all these different brass seperated. Use the new brass more often. Shoot alot of cast bullets in it. Mainly the 200gr RCBS cast bullet sized .350. Great shooting bullet- mold casts like a dream. I buy 250 gr cast bullets.
I have a Browning 1886 carbine in 45/70. But the 71 gets most of the use because it fits me better. However most people standing around me when I shoot the 71 complain about muzzle blast.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

So has anyone seen a price for one? Seen one listed anywhere?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Mike D. wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:The internal "improvements" made in the M-71 WINCHESTER were few, and mostly for reasons of cost. Most obvious is that the carrier lifter was done away with. In the original 1886 configuration, the lifter provides complete mechanical control of the cartridge from magazine to chamber.

I can't agree more on the geometry of the 1886. Concerning the carrier lifter, though, my 71 has one. It's changed slightly from the '86, but there nonetheless. One of the biggest changes to the 71 was the use of a coil mainspring, rather than the flat one of the older model. I'm not particularly fond of the heavy lever curve, either. I would prefer the lesser angle of the PG 1886.

In this pic you can see the difference of the carriers on a 1935 vintage 1886(right) and a 71 made 12 yrs later. Image
The carrier lifter is that crooked little gizmo that is hung from the lever, and rides in the long slot in the carrier in an '86. It has a little "finger" on it that engages the cartridge as soon as it emerges from the magazine, and hold it in place on the carrier until the rim of the case slips over it as the cartridge is pushed into the chamber by the bolt. The M-71 -- in ALL examples I've ever see -- lacks this part, or any place for it or a way for it to operate if it were there.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

now what i need is a saddlering 86carbine with a 20" barrel chambered in .348 wcf. :twisted:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

You might need it but you'll definitely need a ***** pad between your shoulder and the buttplate when you squeeze that trigger :lol:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

"The carrier lifter is that crooked little gizmo that is hung from the lever, and rides in the long slot in the carrier in an '86. It has a little "finger" on it that engages the cartridge as soon as it emerges from the magazine, and hold it in place on the carrier until the rim of the case slips over it as the cartridge is pushed into the chamber by the bolt. The M-71 -- in ALL examples I've ever see -- lacks this part, or any place for it or a way for it to operate if it were there."

DOH!! I guess that I failed to READyour post, Buck. Mea Culpa. :oops:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jsgwoodsman
Levergunner

Post by jsgwoodsman »

I just joined this forum today - hopefully I can contribute!

I had heard about Davide Pedersoli coming out with a 71 in 45-70 so I did some investigating. I couldn't get much on the gun itself other than what was on the Pedersoli site. I contacted a dealer, however, and he quoted me a price in the mid $1,600s plus shipping and handling charges. He said he is taking orders starting in October and expects the first shipment to arrive after the first of the year, 2011. He wasn't sure whether the gun was currently in production or not.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Thanks for the updated info and welcome to the board.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

.348 kicks pretty vicious, I bet in 45-70 with top loads it will more so......owwie!
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!