Gentlemen and ladys whats your favorite

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sgtgrinche

Gentlemen and ladys whats your favorite

Post by sgtgrinche »

gentlemen, whats your favorite gun to shoot? whether its hunting or just to plink or competition. lever or non lever pistol or revolver rifle or shotgun.
what gun do you enjoy most ? :) mine is my Henry .22 it is just a hoot to shoot. :D
Last edited by sgtgrinche on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Gentlemen whats your favorite

Post by Griff »

Ok, now you went too far! GENTLEMEN? Aye gawd man... I was a decorated NCO, I have some pride! :D :D

And besides, I simply couldn't list all the guns that are my favorite... it would be giving you a detailed listing of all those in my safe and other hiding places around my place! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

Griff, i could use that term a little loosely if you would like :lol: , i to have many i love but that little henry is nice and both my boys can shoot it easy , i think that is what makes it so fun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bein' as there's a coupla ladies on the forum... let's use the term "loosely"! :lol: There are 8 guns across the front row of my safe; they are, two bbl lengths of 12 ga. Stoeger side by sides, 3 Winchester mdls 94 (rifle, carbine & trapper), Sharps 1874, Uberti 1873 Rifle and a Uberti 1860 Steel framed Henry.

Each and every one is my favorite for it's particular chore!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

griff, it sounds like you have to many and the stoeger might be lonely :P i could always find a place in my herd for it :twisted: if you ever come across north east ohio bring her with you and drop her off :lol: :lol: :lol:
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

This is always the toughest question to answer. If you go by what gets shot the most, it would have to be my Bisley Single Six/Marlin 39a .22's. I shoot darn good with them, love them, and shoot them the most because they're the cheapest. Next up would have to be my Super Blackhawk and Win. 94 30-30. Followed closely by my Henry .22 mag. That's as far as I can narrow it down. All the guns I have are my favorites, however, that's why I have them!! :D I traded or sold all the guns that weren't my favorite. I may soon add my Guide Gun to that list, but it's been too cold/wet, and I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ruger 10/22 T at 100 yards (with the right ammo) --- since nobody in my shooting crowd expects anyone to be shooting a lowly .22 at a football field's didstance. Its fun to watch targets disappear and/or dance through an 18x scope
----- Doug
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Griff wrote:Ok, now you went too far! GENTLEMEN? Aye gawd man... I was a decorated NCO, I have some pride! :D :D

And besides, I simply couldn't list all the guns that are my favorite... it would be giving you a detailed listing of all those in my safe and other hiding places around my place! :twisted:
Decorated NCO huh. How'd it feel when they hung the tinsel and lights on ya at Christmas and plugged ya in?
ED
Yer never too old
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Man I scratched my head for a while over this question :?

Then it came to me, what cartridge do I reload the most, since I really don't shoot many rimfires?

The 44 mag and Special. I have 3 moulds out and have been casting 100's of lbs of .44's, I have another 5K on my bench needing sized and lubed to put in my stack of already sized and lubed and boxed .44 bullets.

I looked around and noticed there are five .44 mags out, rifles and pistols, and one 44 special. All have been shot quite a bit in the past weeks. I just finished up one 4lb keg of Unique and busted into another.

Yep, I guess I gotta go with the .44 :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Cooey mod 39 single shot .22, my first gun brings back memory's every time I pull the trigger and the trigger is mighty fine too breaks at 3.5 lbs lot's of over travel but who cares I had it since I was 6 before I got my first pellet gun even.
Next and it's a ty would be my BRNO602 in .375 H&H bought that when I was still in high school, next might run also for number 1 my Marlin 39 my brother gave it to me when I was 14 I don't know how many truck loads of gophers I have shot with that one. Then I have my old savage also given to me a mod 23 I think? ah who cares I like all my guns so hard to pick a favorite.
Oh did I mention the 99 or my .303? I really just cant pick one, but I will go with the old cooey it was my first.But I still have my first pellet gun a Slavia 618 must have a few thousand pellets through it :D
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I really have a blast plinking away with my little Winchester 9422. It's such a fun, and accurate rifle that is still cheap to feed that I shoot it quite a bit for the pure enjoyment factor of bouncing cans around.

My .44 specials are probably my next most enjoyable. I've got a Cimarron Winchester '73 that is just a dream to shoot. Pair that up with my Colt's 5 1/2" SAA and I've got a lot of enjoyment at hand. A very functional and fun set of shooters for me.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I would have to say that it is my New Model Blackhawk in .45LC. I love toting it out in the field or at the range and watching the holes appear out on target. Hopefully when it gets warmer I'll get my butt back out to the range and get on my way to being ready for fall deer season. I just love shooting that gun.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

I put the most rounds through and spend the most time casting and loading for my .45-70 Rolling Block closely followed by the 40-70 SS Shiloh Sharps. Both are loaded with the Holy Black. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For right now, I'm busy discovering my two 1911s.... My old Winnie 72 got a workout this last weekend and I forgot how much I enjoyed shooting it. I learned to shoot, back in the fifties with my erstwhile Uncle Mac, on that rifle 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I go through different phases, partly coinciding with what ever hunting seasons are open at the time. I enjoy shooting all of them.
NRA Life Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Like TedH, I go through phases as well. But in the long haul, I'd have to say that the gun I've shot the most over the last 40 years has been my good old Marlin Golden Model 39A. In one three year period in my early 20's I'd go through not less than one brick of .22's each week and generally 2 or 2 1/2 bricks. A railroad boxcar wouldn't carry all the small game and varmints that rifle has taken and a train would have a decent load if it hauled all the bottles, cans, stick, rocks, clods and paper targets I've shot with it.

After Hurricane Katrina I had the sad misfortune of having to sell my then favorite centerfire shooter, a .45-70 Pedersoli Rolling Block that never fed on anything other than blackpowder. man I love the smell of blackpowder in the morning!

My favorite handgun is probably my old Model 1851 Colt navy reproduction. I bought that old smokewagon used back in 1979 and have probably burned a good 20 pounds of powder in it. In cartridge handguns, I shoot my 4.75" Uberti-made SAA in .44 S&W Special more than any other, with my 4" M-686 close ehind.

I really ought to shoot my old Mossberg M-500 more often, but shooting my Fox Model B SXS is so much more fun.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU PICK A "FAVORITE"?
WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN ???
HOW DO YOU DESCRIBE IT ??
SO, AFTER YOU PICK THIS "FAVORITE" DO YOU GET RID OF ALL THE REST OF THOSE SECOND PLACE MALINGERERS ???
IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME ATALL.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

Terry, by no means do I mean to get rid of any second place malingerers :) . I have a few myself that I really enjoy also but are not quit as enjoyable as my henry .22 lr but i would not get rid of them for the world.
SoftwarePro
Levergunner

Post by SoftwarePro »

I would have to pick my Ruger 10/22's (one scoped, one not). I love shooting at spinners and other reactive targets with those. Can shoot 'em all day and not spend a fortune doing it.

A .22LR levergun is definately on my wish list.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

My favorite??? Hmmmm....

For hunting....Marlin 336 30-30.
For competition....M1 Garand or M96 Swedish Mauser. Or maybe my M1A. No...wait. My .303 British SMLE....
For plinking....CZ527 Varmint in .223 or my Ruger Single-Six .22.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I'd be easier for me to say which ones get shot the least - that would be my Remington 870 and Winchester 1897. Soon to be the least shot is the Ruger Old Army that I just bought and that's not been fired, ever. I'm mentally reluctant to shoot that one. The BFR in 45-70 has probably been shot more over the last year or so. Over my life, my Sheridan .20 caliber pellet rifle has probably had more rounds down the barrel than any other, closely followed by my Ruger .44 S.Blackhawk.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

The Colt Match HBAR's(have a set) followed closely by my S&W 629(just somthing about that fine Smith's trigger)smile when I shoot it. :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Modoc ED wrote:
Griff wrote:Ok, now you went too far! GENTLEMEN? Aye gawd man... I was a decorated NCO, I have some pride! :D :D
Decorated NCO huh. How'd it feel when they hung the tinsel and lights on ya at Christmas and plugged ya in?
All tinglie?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

S&W Model 17, 4" barrel, a K-frame .22 LR sixgun.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Colt lightning 22 long, or winnie 62
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Griff wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:
All tinglie?
That's a nice feeling isn't it?

Just kidding Griff.

Gotta go along with the "Gentelmen" jibe. I too was an NCO (Petty Officdr in Navy lingo).
ED
Yer never too old
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I had an 86 in 33 wcf that I wanted to shoot, so I bought a press and dies and got 45-70 brass and reformed it to 33 and loaded them up, I had never done anything like that before so wasn't sure what to expect, at that stage I had 125000 acres of dead flat country to hunt on in the south west of the state, so of we went the big test was, was the 86 accurate and were my hand loads any good, as my mum would say the proof is in the eating, dropped a roo at 180 of my paces and which are fairly long, Boy O Boy that was a great day shootin' the gun you love with your own hand loads, just me and Oliver F.
Sadly I had to sell that rifle back in 98 for financial reasons, but the good news is I have another 86 in 33wcf that I have had for a little while and have not yet fired, and I still have some of those handloads.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

1926 winchester model 92 in 38-40 in rifle configuration...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Chosing a favorite gun is like chosing a favorite child. Not possible! :D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

My favorite to shoot IS NOT the gun I shoot most. Not by a long shot.

My favorite? My Birdshead .32M Single Six. There isn't a thing I don't like about that gun. But I don't like reloading so much anymore so that gun only see's 50 rounds every other month or so.

LK
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like my 375 H&H. It is always amazing to me how those big bullets can be so accurate and and how the gun can behave so well.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Aw, I thought you were going to ask about "adult beverages"...

(Hint: Check my avatar and handle...)

Anyway, mine would be one of these in stainless steel...
Brace of Old Army's (Medium).jpg
20 grains = Accurate, with some smoke.

30 grains = Fun, with a boom!

45 grains = MORE BOOM, SMOKE and FUN!!

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

After last weekend i would say my 1886 /.33WCF :D

The one that I like to shoot the most is my '92/ 32-20 SRC.

I can carry that little carbine all day and pop off at what ever comes along.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Modoc ED wrote:
Griff wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:
All tinglie?
That's a nice feeling isn't it?
Just kidding Griff.
Gotta go along with the "Gentelmen" jibe. I too was an NCO (Petty Officdr in Navy lingo).
Actually, I was kiddin' too. And was also a Petty Officer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
R Busetti
Levergunner

Post by R Busetti »

Browing M71 348, cast bullet. 1894 src 30WCF cast bullets
1885 Hiwall 219 Zipper
Marlin 39A
Love'm all Bob
sgtgrinche

Re: Gentlemen and ladies whats your favorite

Post by sgtgrinche »

I think i need to aplogize to the ladys on the forum for not including them as well :oops: No disrespect was intended
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gentlemen and ladys whats your favorite

Post by Ray Newman »

Whichever one is my hands when I'm shooting :lol: :lol:

Actually, my two all-time favorites are:

-- Shiloh-Sharps 25 pound M1874 with scope, calibre .45-2.4" (erroneously AKA .45-90) with paper patched bullets and Black Powder.

-- Sharps-Borchardt iron sighted 13 pound M 1878 .45- 2 7/8" , AKA .45-110, with a 540 + grain grease groove Creedmoor bullet and Black Powder.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Plinking and small game: marlin 39 TDS
Small game 9422, 9417
Deer Featherweight mod 70 7x57
Large Deer Model 7 Remington 350-Rem Mag
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In general my .45 Colt single action revolvers and lever guns. I like to shoot most anything but these are what I shoot the most.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun, no doubt about it. I like it so well that I bought a spare.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I have a lot of guns that I really like, but my absolute favorite would have to be my little 39 mountie. Grew up shooting mom's 67, wore out a firing pin in it by the time I was 14. It was one of the first guns I ever refinished. Till this day it is one of the best shooting guns I have ever held. Bought me a 63 mountie a little over a year ago. It shoots just as good.

My favorite Centerfire rifle, is the old 1903 springfield that my grandpa gave me. It is a good shooter but the sentimental value is off the chart. As for shooters I would have a hard choice between my 77 336 in 30-30 and my .308 BLR. Both are real good shooters, handle well, and while they are not pristine they both look plenty good enough for me.

My favorite shotgun is an old 11-87, again it isn't a safe queen, a real user gun, that just puts rounds downrange where you point'em.