sawed off

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

sawed off

Post by two bit okie »

When cutting off a barrel on a rifle. (model 92, 20 " being bobbed to 16 1/4) where is the barrel measured. muzzle to closed bolt, muzzle to back of chamber, or front of chamber?

I am getting bolder and may have to get a hacksaw to cut it myself.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: sawed off

Post by 20cows »

Muzzle to opposite end of chamber. FWIW, if you are cutting a Winchester 94 in 30-30 or 38-55, 16 1/2" will give you room in the magazine for one more round (six instead of five) compared to the 16" factory barrel.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I hate it I do this-

I just figured out you specified model 92.

-misfired on the half-cock! :oops:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Rifles and shotguns and pistols (but not revolvers) are the actual barrel length, including the chamber. Literally they say from the face of the closed breech to the muzzle. For REVOLVERS the barrel only, and not the cylinder is the barrel length.

If johnny law marked a dowel 16" from one end, sticks it in the barrel so it stops against the breechface, and the mark DOES NOT disappear into the muzzle, yer gonna eat spaghetti with a government spoon ;)
Last edited by adirondakjack on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified gun nut
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

adirondakjack wrote:Rifles and shotguns and pistols (but not revolvers) are the actual barrel length, including the chamber. Literally they say from the face of the closed breech to the muzzle. For REVOLVERS the barrel only, and not the cylinder is the barrel length.

If johnny law marked a dowel 16" from one end, sticks it in the barrel so it stops against the breechface, and the mark disappears into the muzzle, yer gonna eat spaghetti with a government spoon ;)

Er don't you mean if the mark doesn't dissapear into the muzzle?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

If the mark does not disapear .
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

When the jack-boots come to get you, they'll shove a stick down the muzzle and measure from the closed bolt face to the muzzle.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd err on the 16.5" or more end of things, due to the extra magazine capacity, and just to hedge against jackboots with warped rulers, or (hopefully not) any need to re-do after the first cut.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I have wacked several rifles over the years due to damaged muzzles. Every smithy I have talked to all say... " stay at least 1/2" longer than the law & you will never have any trouble. Try to be just at the mark and the "Black Coats" are gonna take your house apart looking for that one little place you goofed up. If they cannot find it they will only keep digging that much longer.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Alan Wood wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:Rifles and shotguns and pistols (but not revolvers) are the actual barrel length, including the chamber. Literally they say from the face of the closed breech to the muzzle. For REVOLVERS the barrel only, and not the cylinder is the barrel length.

If johnny law marked a dowel 16" from one end, sticks it in the barrel so it stops against the breechface, and the mark disappears into the muzzle, yer gonna eat spaghetti with a government spoon ;)

Er don't you mean if the mark doesn't dissapear into the muzzle?
Is someone trying to challenge me for my title "king of the Typoists"?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Been there done that, had to work a felon with the BATF. He had a shotgun cut down to 18" ??? took a 18" rod and dropped it down the muzzle and when it hit the breech face it was 1/4" sticking out. The guy got an additional 5 years for poss of a short shotgun. I won't cut on to 18 even or 16 even just to be on the safe side I allways cut tot 18 1/2 or 16 1/2.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If it DOESN'T disappear. If it does the barrel would be longer than 16".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I sold a guy a shotgun that had a factory 18.5" barrel. The guy brought it back pitching a fit because his cop friend told him it was illegal. He even brought a tape measure and showed me how his buddy proved the barrel was under 18". Of course he was measuring from the front of the chamber to the end of the barrel. I gave him his money back, but I did tell him his cop friend was dumber than a box of rocks when it came to firearms.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yep, brain phart on the earlier post. If the line shows, yer in bad juju. if it sinks, yer good.

FWIW when measuring for this cut, "burn" 1/4" and call it good at 18 1/4" (16 1/4" for rifles). I got both around here someplace, and figure that 1/4" is enough to fix it if ya botch the crown, but not leaving a whole lot....
Certified gun nut
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

I had my last rifle cut down to 16.25" just to be safe. What a joy to carry around in heavy cover.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16