More Leverguns Hunt Photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

More Leverguns Hunt Photos

Post by 86er »

This is Trevor with his first big game animal taken on his 14th Birthday. He used his Dad's 25-06 Sako with a Leica scope.
After 2 miles and many stalks we finally closed the distance and he made the shot count.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: More Leverguns Hunt Photos

Post by Nath »

Well done Trevor :D
That Lieca scope is serious kit! And the Sako! Excellent choices.

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A FINE LOOKIN' LAD. HE MADE HIS BONES WITH ONE SHOT FROM HIS OLD MAN'S RIFLE TOO !!! BULLY FOR HIM !! IT GIVES A BIT OF FAITH FOR THE FUTURE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

A really good kid. His dad was prouder then punch.
Ricky

DWWC
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Glad to hear he got one.
That Sako sure was a sharp looking rifle!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Yeah, nice rifle. I need one of those in .308! Wll, not need...
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Wow! Great job! What a wonderful way to spend your 14th birthday! Congrats!

Sandy
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Joe, where did he hit him? Can't tell from the photo.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here are a few more pics from the hunt.

2ndovc and Fweidner on Friday afternoon. 2ndovc is using an old 86 in 33wcf and FWeidner is using his custom 94 in 30wcf.

2ndovc with his second hog that he took with his 95 in 35wcf.

86er and Lindsey cleaning animals.
Ricky

DWWC
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks like a great time was had by all. One of these times I will have to make it out there and hunt with y'all.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

So, tell me, how did you get Brians front wheel drive car out of the mud?
Or did you just leave it there? :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

You all were really stacking them with some high class rifles to boot! It is good to see some young folks out there enjoying it. Trevor's hunt sounded like a good time for sure!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs wrote:So, tell me, how did you get Brians front wheel drive car out of the mud?
After about an hour of Brian digging and laying in the mud and water trying to get under the front end of the car he found a place to hook the strap and I pulled him out. He was pretty much soaked but the car came right out. He drove out from the cabin to the road without to much trouble.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

JReed wrote:Looks like a great time was had by all. One of these times I will have to make it out there and hunt with y'all.
We would be delighted to have you along Gunny. The hunting almost winds up being secondary, the socializing rates up there pretty high.
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Brian made it down with his car and it wasn't his fault he got stuck. Unlike the "other" Brian (the 4th one to arrive) that can't stay on the road, can't follow directions and has no sense. I dragged him out, no thanks to him helping.....
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

86er wrote:Brian made it down with his car and it wasn't his fault he got stuck. Unlike the "other" Brian (the 4th one to arrive) that can't stay on the road, can't follow directions and has no sense. I dragged him out, no thanks to him helping.....
One of my favorite moments of the entire weekend.
Joe's buddy Mike and I were watching Joe pull the 2WD out.
i was laughing so hard my sides were hurting. Mike's a funny guy!

I was really glad to see the NY boys. I'd heard "Dirty Yankee" one to many times. :D

jb 8)

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

2ndovc wrote:
86er wrote:Brian made it down with his car and it wasn't his fault he got stuck. Unlike the "other" Brian (the 4th one to arrive) that can't stay on the road, can't follow directions and has no sense. I dragged him out, no thanks to him helping.....

I was really glad to see the NY boys. I'd heard "Dirty Yankee" one to many times. :D

jb 8)
Oh come on..........that wasn't DIRTY Yankee we were saying :D . Jason it was a pleasure to meet you, and you have some great rifles. It's truly amazing the level of people that you meet from this forum.
Ricky

DWWC
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

What's funny, well besides the fact that I'm from NY is that the gf was driving her 2 wheel drive car..and we had no idea he was stuck. We just thought wow..that's not a very bright place to have parked a big truck..now we have to go off the track to get around him..little coaxing and some good driving later and the gf was parked by the grill looking at the rams you guys took that morning. We had no idea he was stuck there till someone mentioned it.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

n2t wrote: We just thought wow..that's not a very bright place to have parked a big truck..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ricky

DWWC
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

RKrodle wrote:
2ndovc wrote:

jb 8)
Oh come on..........that wasn't DIRTY Yankee we were saying :D . Jason it was a pleasure to meet you, and you have some great rifles. It's truly amazing the level of people that you meet from this forum.

I can't say enough about how much fun I had!!

"Dirty Yankee" aside :D , those Texas boys sure know how to make you feel welcome!!

Can't wait for next year!!

jb 8)

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like a grand time was had by all. One of these days I'll get down there and hunt with ya'll. Hopefully sooner than later. Is there going to be a summer hunt again this year?
NRA Life Member
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

OK the only thing I am going to publically say on this topic for now is please don't judge me based on the company that I am currently stuck with! I sincerely hope that his lack of personality and brains, is not a reflection in your minds of me. I have been hearing and reading the comments and I fear that you will all think that is who I am. It is not. I am aware of the shortcomings and many more that were not evident this weekend, and I am currently fixing that problem. Please just judge me for me.

I had a great time this weekend and so did my daughters. It was great to meet everyone and put faces to names! I do hope to see you all again on other hunts.

I have a ton of homework but once I am done I will post my pics from this weekend, and I have a lot of them. After all I am the crazy mom with the camera! Or so my daughter says!

Sandy :P
TwistedSerpent
Levergunner

Post by TwistedSerpent »

From Will and Amanda - Not at all are we connecting you and the driver, we are extremely impressed by that ram your daughter got. 30-30 to the nasal cavity says a lot about a person! We hope to see you again next time and get to talk more!
Big Mike
Levergunner

Post by Big Mike »

Hey it was great to meet you guys. I had a good time. I've guided for Joe many times so once I'm settled in Texas I'm sure I'll see you guys either as a fellow hunter or helping you get your stuff. I spent time talking to Jason, Sandy, Ricky, Brian with the glasses. All good people. I didn't get to talk much with the other guys but from what little I did everyone was getting along great and having fun. It was really funny to watch Joe drag the freakin stuffy guy through the mud. It was real funny at the end of the driveway when Joe "accidentally" spun the wheels while turning them back and forth and covering the new 2X2 womans truck with mud :lol: I had a great freakin time and I can't wait to get my family to Texas and hunt with you guys again. Oh, and if you didn't know, I love my BLR and my Win 94 and I am a die hard levergunner too.
New Texan
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey Mike, Welcome to the forum. It was great to meet you and can't wait til you and your family get down here for good.
Ricky

DWWC
Big Mike
Levergunner

Post by Big Mike »

Anyone that's Joe's friend is my friend if they'll let me be.
New Texan
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Huntress- your hubby is a dufus and you're still older than me - but we still love ya.

Mike - glad you made it back okay. I'll keep an eye on your new house for ya. Get back soon (or just send Kristen and Mooky) :wink:

Thanks for a great weekend, everyone!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

[quote="86er"]Huntress- your hubby is a dufus and you're still older than me - but we still love ya.

I am aware of that and I am working on it!

It does not matter that I am 7 whole months older... what matters is that I look YEARS younger!!!

Remember that grandpa!!! LOL

Sandy :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have enough personal flaws that I am unable to profit from the judgement business.

I pretty much enjoyed getting to meet everybody I ran into.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Who shot Grizzly? How about Cast Performance? Joe this whole hunt is a bust without some terminal performance reports. Might have to replace you on my Pro Staff. Sheeeesh!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote:

jb 8)
Ricky's right! We weren't calling you a "Dirty" Yankee! That's what we'll be calling Big Mike after he gets moved down here and stays :D We'll be calling him that from a safe distance. :lol:

I can't help but wonder what the Comanches called my folks when they barged in and took over the place :?:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

vancelw wrote:
2ndovc wrote:

jb 8)
Ricky's right! We weren't calling you a "Dirty" Yankee! That's what we'll be calling Big Mike after he gets moved down here and stays :D We'll be calling him that from a safe distance. :lol:

I can't help but wonder what the Comanches called my folks when they barged in and took over the place :?:
:D :D

I think a safe distance would be at least 3-4 miles! :lol:

jb 8)

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

RKrodle wrote:
crs wrote:So, tell me, how did you get Brians front wheel drive car out of the mud?
After about an hour of Brian digging and laying in the mud and water trying to get under the front end of the car he found a place to hook the strap and I pulled him out. He was pretty much soaked but the car came right out. He drove out from the cabin to the road without to much trouble.
My old Yukon to the rescue???
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Yeah Scott, your old Yukon got it done!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

RSY wrote:
RKrodle wrote:
My old Yukon to the rescue???
You betcha! She is still going strong at 220000 some odd miles.
Ricky

DWWC
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Well, I'm happy it's proven to be a good vehicle for you. I know it served us well.

Looks like a good time was had by all. I was going to say I wish I could've made it...until I saw the photos. :shock: I got my fill of living in the mud in the infantry once-upon-a-time. :mrgreen: Hopefully, I'll be able to make a trip in the near future and see all y'all again. It doesn't have to be warm, but dry would be nice. :D

Scott
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Mike Rintoul wrote:Who shot Grizzly? How about Cast Performance? Joe this whole hunt is a bust without some terminal performance reports. Might have to replace you on my Pro Staff. Sheeeesh!
Mike,

I'm goin on Joe's Riverside, CA pig hunt.

I will take Win 94AE in 44 mag, S&W 21-4 in 44SPecial and 1908 Marlin 1893 in 30-30.

Send PM for address to send ammo too.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mike, as posted elsewhere, I used a CPB 425 grain .475 WFN powered by IMR4227 out of my model 92 Puma in .480 Ruger for the second hog. It was 150 pounds, and a rather dramatic stop. It was feeding and moving intermittently, and I shot it in the upper left side in the ribs. The pig rolled 270 degrees and squealed really loud. I was in a blind 50 yards away and walked up to the pig and placed a coup de grace behind its ear as it was still twitching and trying to squeal. The pig was not going anywhere as it was as dead as Simon Cowell's hopes of winning Mister Personality, even though it didn't realize it yet due to the massive shock. The shot was full penetration with exit on the opposite side and a big entrance hole with a bigger exit hole. This is in contrast to the .44 Mag using 200 grain Nosler JHP bullets powered by VVN110. The smaller hog hit with the .44 was hit in the neck first and started exsanguinating immediately, spun around, ran into 3 trees, and absorbed 3 more shots before going down for keeps. The .44 obviously did not transmit as much shock, nor do the damage that the WFN cast bullet did.

Does that help.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Mr. Rintaul,
I shot 300 gr FNSP factory Hornady(I have several boxes) and at 50 yards, the 118 pound pig went BANG-FLOP with a single .405 round to the upper ribs, DRT. Naturally the bullet was not recovered, but the entry hole was about 40 caliber and the exit hole was 2+ inches. The bullet had sucked some innards about 2 inches out the exit side of the hog.

Some 6 ' 4" ex Marine with a big brown hat saw these innards showing on one side and asked me where I shot the critter. He did not even laugh when I told him "On the other side".
Most Texans have a really good sense of humor, so go figure. :lol:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Thanks for the field reports. It looks like Lindsays custom load did what it was supposed to (as did she) and Cast Performance bullets were used by a few of you and they lived up to our expectations. I appreciate the other load info too, good baselines when you decided on custom loads for special applications.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006