OT: New Woods & Trail Sidearm (Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R Mag)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: New Woods & Trail Sidearm (Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R Mag)

Post by Old No7 »

Off topic, but gun related just the same...

My buddy from VT has a camp that has been infested with coyotes lately... As a result he's been spending a lot of time up there, thinning 'em out to help out the local deer herd. As a result of the ones he's shot -- and had to shoot again -- he's told me "Not to bother carrying a .22 as a woods gun anymore..." He says he's had really poor results with his rimfire rounds for a coup-de-grace on coyotes that didn't DRT from his buckshot blasts. So with that direct hands-on feedback, plus the knowledge of more & more reports of cougar sightings in this area, and the ever-present (and growing...) threat from 2-legged vermin, I decided to trade-up in power for my woods & trail piece when I'm out predator hunting or just roaming around the woods.

I had to search around to find this one, and pay more than I would have 10 years ago, but I recently picked up a nice NIB/unfired Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R Magnum with a 4" barrel. Here she is, along with a nice set of elk stag grip inserts that I originally got from Sack Peterson for my 4" SP101 in .22 Rimfire: **
SP101 32 H&R Mag (Small).jpg
If you like the grips, Sack's website is:http://www.sackpeterson.com/

I briefly considered the newer .327 Federal round, but decided against it as they only make that in a 3" barrel, I already have 2 nice holsters for the 4" SP (a nice leather belt model, and a nylon chest-carry/bandoleer-type for when I'm wearing many layers while out predator hunting), plus Starline isn't making any 327 Fed brass yet -- and they recently told me they have "no firm plans" to do so for quite awhile.

I think the 32 H&R Magnum will be just dandy for a "more power" trail piece. I can load (3) lead SWCs for finishing shots on predators or headshots on partridge (aka "ruffed grouse" to those outside of Maine), followed by (3) JHP Magnum loads -- "just in case" they are needed. Plinking with 32 S&W Long loads will be some fun too, and I'm sure my petite daughter may like this more than my larger/heavier GP100 in 357 Mag.

** By the way, I will soon be selling a very hard-to-find and now out-of-production Ruger SP101 in 22 rimfire, with a 4" barrel/full underlug and a windage-adjustable rear sight. Basically, it looks the same as the 4" SP101 above. I will plan to list it in the Classifieds here first, and I will also include another nice set of custom Elk Stag grip inserts and an HKS 6-shot speedloader -- only for a buyer who is a member of this forum. When/if that piece goes onto GunBroker, it won't include those 2 extras with it. If you want to get a heads-up when that will be listed, just send me a PM titled "4 inch SP101 22RF". It's been carried some, but always in a good holster, and it's been fired very little -- maybe 300 rounds total over the 6 years I've had her, or about a box a year. She's in great shape, maybe 98% condition, and is a very difficult caliber to find in Ruger's dandy little SP101 revolver.

Gee, sorry about turning this into a sales pitch... But I guess that's due to the gun-trading bug we've all been infected with... :wink:

So now I'm looking to find a nice Marlin 1894 or Marlin Cowboy levergun in 32 H&R Mag -- that would be sweet for sure!!! May have to save up BIG time for that though...

Tight groups,

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: New Woods & Trail Sidearm (Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R Mag)

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice indeed. I have always been intrigued by the caliber but never owned one. I think you made an excellent choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Paul,
Nice handy trail gun. For the reasons you mentioned, I always carry a centerfire when woods bumming. (can't reload those rimfires :D )

The 115 Lyman with 4 to 4.5 grains of Unique will be the only load you will need. My Ruger SS eats 'em up.

Also, the 32 S&W SHORT makes a neat little plinking round. Makes as much sound as ahammer hitting wood--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Daryl nice new shooter. That should do the trick for those rude yotes that don't have the good sense to know they are dead. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Maybe you need to reload with some of Lasercast's bullets with silver in the mix. Could those 'yotes be related to WeirdWolves, or something like that? :D
I've never known .22lr to kill a coyote quickly unless it is a head shot. Could be my shooting, though.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My woods carry gun is a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R . In fact I just loaded a 100 rounds of 32 SW long for my plinking load. I like the 32's , mainly at first because they were inexpensive to pick up and ammo is expensive. But I reload. They are hoot to shoot . I've picked up a couple model 732 H&R's for $50 . They shoot good and are cheap enough to leave one in the camper all the time.

Just so you know the Marlin 94 in 32 H&R with the octagon barrel is front heavy. I ended up with a 94 in 32-20. Much better balanced. Welcome to the 32 club!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Since I don't reload, I've shot a lot of Georgia Arms'100 gr cast and jhp's. Fabulous rounds. In a H&R, that 101 should be a "lifetime" gun. +1 on the Marlin being inordinately front heavy with that octagonal. Since they're no longer making those rifles, I'd almost be mighty tempted to have a custom 20" carbine barrel (and accompanying fore-wood) set up for it.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I just gave mom the 327 Federal version for xmas.
I did an action job and it feels nice and smooth now.
swapped the 14lb hammer spring for a 10lb one, and
the stock trigger return for a lighter one as well.
Mom, 70, can now cock one handed and SA is 3.5 lb
smoothed the hammer and radiused the trigger as well.
I didn't get a chance to shoot it before giving but action
was the best DA Ruger I've felt.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Darryl - great looking gun and grips! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Single-Six in .32 H&R and I think you'll be well pleased with the SP101.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Very nice - like the grips for sure!

My SP-101 is now with my Daughter - a .357 Mag version. Shoots 38 Specials really well and to just above point of aim at bad-guy distance.

Excellent revolver.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

:!: VERY, very nice piece of kit Old No7 :!:

I have always like the sp101, and in combo with 32mag it seems like a perfect match!!

For more dangerous work,... how hot and how heavy can that be loaded?

You have me salivating on this rig!!! :idea:
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Nice pistol and good choice in calibers. I love my 32 Mag in a single six w/birdhead grips and 4 5/8" barrel. It's a great little gun to pack every where on the ranch and on pack trips, etc. I use mine a lot to control the porcupine population so I don't spend all spring pulling quills out of my cows during calving season.
I found that the hotter loads with the 85 grain XTP are much better killers (on porcupines for sure) than the bigger, slower lead bullets. Still I don't regulate my fixed sights for it. They are regulated for the 115 SWC's because I shoot them the most for practice. I also shot the 90 and 100 grain jacketed bullets and have gotten along with them very well too.
This little cartrige is very versatile and all of the revolver's I've shot it in are very accurate. And as you know, anyone can shoot it.
I'd love to find a carbine for a companion, had a chance at one about 5 years ago and passed it up. I do have a 32-20 (1894) so I can share leads but not brass. Love that gun too.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I too am not always had the best of luck with .22's for trail guns, so several years ago I picked up a single six 5.5 .32 for my daughter and think it's a wonderful the .32 is a wonderful choice. Low noice low recoil. She hardly touches it so I kind of started carrying it fixing fence or fishing. Don't know why it was never a better seller, except we americans think we need bigger everything.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That'll make a dandy trail gun. I've been very interested in the 327 version. Never had a firearm chambered for either of those .32 cals.
NRA Life Member
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Old NO7 that is a great looking litlle trail gun you have there. I really hope that some detailed range reports will follow soon :) IMHO the factor that really limited this cartridge from becoming more popular and a little more potent were the older and weak H&R firearms. I'm somewhat bewildered at the response Star Line gave in regards to the .327, sounds like they don't have much faith in the cartridge being very popular either.

I wish I could remember were I saw another post on this cartridge and what forum it was on. The individual who started it made this fine little cartridge really perform through a lot of care and detailed load work up. Through his very detailed work he made the 32 H&R into what it really should have been. Had the companies that brought forth done that in the first place there probably would be no .327 Federal.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

While I understand--and agree to a large extent--the perspective about the .32 H&R cartridge being limited from the get-go, I've nevertheless enjoyed it even in factory loadings since my first gun chambered in it in 1984--one of the first Ruger Single Six .32s. It struck me as a powerful little popper that was/is a blast to shoot, and one that finally gave us something decent in the large gap between the .22s and .38/.357 class...and certainly no ".22 anything." I continue to enjoy the "factory" loadings in various Ruger SAs and a delightful Smith Airweight, and seldom feel underfunned especially with Georgia Arms' fine 100 grainers, which offer a healthy step up from the regular off-the-shelf Federal fare, without being obnoxious about it.

As to the .327, the component/ammo market no longer has the "older H&R guns" excuse, and if Ruger doesn't do it, one of my .32 SS's will be off to a custom shop to chamber it such.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

No. 7, did you ever sell this gun?
Have you seen the latest announcement by Ruger on the SP101 being reintroduced in .22LR?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A couple questions for you knowledgeable 101 fellers. Can the .32 Mag. be safely loaded to .327 Fed. velocities? And how about rechambering from .32 Mag. to .327 Federal? I'm asking about the Ruger strengths and capabilities.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

32 H&R can't be loaded to 327 velocities. Speer list 32 H&R loads for the Ruger. The 327 is a very hot round running into 40 + psi area. Full loads are very obnoxious. I like to keep my 32 H&R loads subsonic, below 1100 fps. I don't know if Ruger did any frame changes for the 327 in the SP 101, I doubt it. I have a Blackhawk in 327 that is a 8 shot and the chambers are very close to gether. I reload the 327 to 32 H&R max loads or a little more, but not to 327 max , it's too nasty.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Triggernosis wrote:"No. 7, did you ever sell this gun?"
Yes, I sold off the 4" SP101 22 LR to a member here early last year. But thanks for asking.
Triggernosis wrote:"Have you seen the latest announcement by Ruger on the SP101 being reintroduced in .22LR?"
I recently saw a picture of the "new" SP101 22, here on this forum I think, and it just didn't appeal to me at all. In my opinion, they ruined the classic SP101 "look", but I'm sure it will appeal to some.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:very nice indeed. I have always been intrigued by the caliber but never owned one. I think you made an excellent choice.
Yep. I like the .32-20 and it's 'buddies' .32 H&R and .327 Fed... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer's SP101 in .327 is very nice for her to carry. I bought an Uncle Mike's holster and it fits perfectly. She likes the Lasercast bullets for the .32-20 in 115 grains that I load for her over 5.2 grains of Universal. They are totally accurate for her. I need to chrono those loads, but I am not sure that they are much more than what is normal for a .32 H&R Mag. A flat nose bullet in some type of 30 to 38 caliber going around 900 to 1,100 fps sounds like a pretty good idea for small to medium game to me. Not too much recoil, accurate, should have decent penetration, and easy to carry.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

32 H&R Mag............Great cartridge!

I have a dozen or so revolvers in same (Including one that Bill Jordan owned!) and a Marlin 1894

Deadly on yotes with 90g hollow points
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Mom has one and keeps it loaded with the 32 Colt N&P wadcutter rounds we load for her, and when she takes to driving she goes with the mag loads, couldn't get it away from if we tried and shes' 84 now
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

Great choice for your purposes. I like the .32 H&R round so much that I had a Browning Lo-Wall rebored from .22 Hornet to .32 H&R. Goes with my Ruger small frame Bisley and my SP101 that's the twin to yours. Now if I could only afford the Freedom Arms Model 97 in .32 H&R, I'd be done buying them.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: New Woods & Trail Sidearm (Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R Mag

Post by afish4570 »

Got smitten with the idea of a 32 mag. and snapped up a used Charter Arms Undercoverette, SS 2" barrel, fixed sights. Adding up the cost of Starline brass, dies Lee probably, I probably shouldn't have bought it and just used one of my 38's. afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Nice pistol, I always thought a .32 H&R would make a great woods "walk about" gun.