Introducing.............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Introducing.............

Post by Larkbill »

Me! Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm addicted to the old ways. Is this where I start the 12 steps?

Just a little backround. I was born when Truman was Pres, lived far enough out from the city that my brothers and I shot guns, starting with a Red Ryder and working our way up. Tried to build a crossbow from a Model T spring, we saw it in the book "the Boy Inventor", but our Dad found it and cut it in half. Served 4 years in the Navy, got married and had three boys of my own, shot IMHSA pistol silhouette for a few years, and have always loved anything mechanical, but especially guns.

I tried the old car hobby, the Lark was a Studebaker, shifted to old outboard motors, and continued to add to my gun collection. I have been shooting my shotguns more than anything the last few years, skeet and sporting clays, but dragged out my loading gear and started putting together a few old favorites this winter. Not sure, but just thought I'd feel better with more loaded ammo on hand. Went online to see what was new and stumbled into Paco's article on hot 45 Colt loads for rifles. And here I am. It looks like many of you folks could be my brothers/sisters from different mothers.

I have started sharing my hobby time between my old boats/motors and shooting more. Kids are grown and find I have more time for things that make me happy. Many of you have also experienced the joy/depression cycle of teenagers. It eventually works it's way out and if you're lucky you end up with some pretty wonderful daughters/sons in law like I did. I own several Blackhawks, 45 Colt, .357 Mag., 30 Carbine, a 94 in .30-30, an Interarms Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, and also shoot .30-30 in my Contender and a Remington 788. Too many shotguns.

My next shooting goal is getting my CCW. I've served my country before, and it appears I should be ready to do so again if necessary. Though I can't imagine St. Peters Missouri is high on the terrorist's list. But danger is where you find it.

I'll mostly watch and learn for now, but I'll jump in if I can help. Anyone else in the eastern Missouri area?

Re: Introducing.............

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Welcome, great to have you here.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Welcome! 8)
NRA Life Member
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Welcome to the Forum, Bill. Very interesting bio! Thanks for sharing. I hope you'll jump into the discussions often.

Victor in Maine

PS: I noted you have an interest in outboards. I'm ooking for a very reliable fresh water 2 stroke 3-5 hp outboard for my inflatable if you come across one. I had the bad luck of having my new tender and outboard stolen last fall right from the float where it was tied off. I found the inflatable along the shore but lost the motor. Except for a week of vandalism Rockport is a sleepy little harbor on the coast of Maine. Thanks
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A very warm welcome to ya Bill.
Grab a cup of joe and pull a stool up to the camp fire. :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome Bill! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Welcome aboard Bill!

If you've come looking for a 12 Step program to wean you off guns, I'm afraid you've stumbled into the wrong campfire. You see we are Enablers.

If someone asks us should I buy rifle A, or six-gun B, we usually suggest "Buy 'em both!"

Some folks might even call us depraved.

Tell us more about your shotguns. Lots of shotgunners here. I especially love fine old double guns.

BTW, you really need to add a Blackhawk and Rossi M-92 in .357 Magnum to your collection to round it out a bit more. :D
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Welcome to the fire , pull up a stump and let's chew the fat. I'm addicted to the old ways too. Leverguns and watches are my passion. I think you'll fit in just fine!

8)
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Hey Bill, Welcome. I am in St. Louis. I also like old boats, mostly out of financial necessity.

Kevin
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum for lever addicts.

No, this ain't where you start the 12 steps... This is where you revel in your insanity... and we help! LIke you, I served in the Navy, but only 3 years 9 months and part of one day... but who counted? :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I figured it was that kind of fire.

Victor: Check out AOMCI.org, click on Upcoming Events on the left side. There are plenty of swap meets in your neck of the wood. What would be my first choice, I have two of them, is the Evinrude/Johnson 3 hp. Began life in '51, same as me, and they built them into the '80s, also as a 4 hp. When the world dies the cockroaches will still be using them on their tenders. Like this:
I reckon you folks know I was just funnin' about the 12 steps. That's just for quitters. I'm in for this 'til the end.

I definitely have a Rossi '92 in .357 on my list, but what I'd really like to see is a '94 or a Marlin in .357 Max. I don't think the '92 will handle the extra length.

Mac in Mo: I'll hook you up with the old and home made boat support group when warmer weather comes around. We have a lot of variety in our group, even some paddlers/rowers. Here's my home made skiff:
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

A very warm welcome to you. :D
You will enjoy it here for sure :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Welcome to the fire.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Welcome aboard !!
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Welcome and nice intro :D

Pathfinder, that picture is real good :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Howdy! You came to a great place where the fire's warm, the coffee's hot, and the discussion's friendly.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Welcome Bill....loved the intro....

jumbeaux
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Larkbill wrote:Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm addicted to the old ways. Is this where I start the 12 steps?
Let's get a couple things straight; this is not a self-help group, there is no 12 step program for our type (if there is we don't want anything to do with it). We're all enablers here. If you're thinking about feeding your addiction we'll gladly help! :wink:

Welcome to the fire, there's a lot to learn here! Nice photos by the way!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You should turn this thing off and put it out for the trash pickup. the months turn into years and soon Leveritis takes it's toll on Your Mind Body and family. just one more,just one..................................... :) .WELCOME.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire. hope you enjoy
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome aboard. :D :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

welcome home.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to camp. You will find this a great support group for leveritus. You'll find great information on where to find'em, buy'em, trade'em, etc.. As stated, we're enablers and proud of it. We also like handguns, bolt guns and shotguns. Most of the older persuasion. But, we won't discount extremely accurate whatevers. Lots of variety here.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire... :D You sound like the type of guy we need on this here forum! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome, enjoy a fine bunch of folks that love the old ways and old firearms.My water craft is an old canoe.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Welcome to the fire!
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.