Thoughts on Ruger's "Mini" series

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thoughts on Ruger's "Mini" series

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The thing is, why ask if you've made up your mind? I mean, why not just state "I've decided to get a mini-14" or whatever.

We work so hard to give you our honest and biased personal opinions and then you totally ignore our advice :lol: :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought my Dad a stainless Mini 14 for his birthday in the mid 80's.

Great little rifle that has been a pile of fun and done it's
defensive duties perfectly.

It was most recently working as a boat gun on his
sailing tour of the Carribean.
He finally sent it home to me because on several islands
you are required to check any weapons upon entering the
country. He was afraid he wasn't going to get it back on
a couple occasions. One customs officer on one little
island even offered a $1000 for it.
He wouldn't sell it. He wouldn't say why but my
guess is because I bought it for him.
Last visit I sent him back with a short barreled H&R 12ga.
He can toss that one overboard if he has to.

That Mini has been perfectly reliable and I lucked into
a pile of factory 20 rnd mags a couple years ago.

I don't think I would choose it over my Colt
AR Light Weight but I certianly would over a Heavy Barrel Mach.
If I'm going to lug around a rifle that heavy I'm going to
have my M1A!

jb 8
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

[quote="RSY]

See my comment above on the ammo issue.

Yes, it is a neat little rifle. Being a 1976, on the receiver is engraved in small print "MADE IN THE 200TH YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY".

1974 and 1975 were only sold to law enforcement.

Hey, did you ever receive that Axis hide for your daughter from the August 2008 hunt???

Scott[/quote]
Thanks Scott. I figured from what you wrote that there was a gap in my understanding. I trust you experts more than the online resources.

No, never heard from those guys again -- on the axis or the buffalo. After almost two years. I've written them off and am thinking about saving for the the next hunt.

Take care.
Bruce
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

O.S.O.K. wrote:The thing is, why ask if you've made up your mind? I mean, why not just state "I've decided to get a mini-14" or whatever.

We work so hard to give you our honest and biased personal opinions and then you totally ignore our advice :lol: :wink:
Knowing me, by the time I've saved enough to buy anything, I'll have changed my mind about 20 times :lol:
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

yup mini's suck but if your bigger than a coke can @ 100 meters you have a very big problem.
it isn't a target rifle but "IF" you can shoot and reload you own ammo instead of buying stuff ammo would should be very happy.I had a colt match,S&W MP and a bushy all gone but the mini is still in the safe.
nothing against AR's I tot'ed a M16 for over 20 years.the fact is the ruger does eat where it craps (M16 gas system sucks).if you want a rifle that will go bang everytime you pulled the trigger. sand and dust and applying condoms on your weapon is a turn off well a mini might be what your looking for. :lol:
mini's get a bad rap from people that can't shoot or buy stuff ammo or get that skinney barrel smoking hot and think they bought a target rifle.
you can get ruger 20 & 30 rd mags now just about anywhere yes they are 39.99 but they do go on sale sometimes.I have 4 that will last a life time.
pete

62 gr "pulled" fjmbt.I bought a ton of these when they were cheap years ago G.I. brass.com.I would think with a quality 62/64 would print tighter.
my mini has a 1-9 twist.
DAV life member.
Bubba w/a 45/70
Levergunner

Post by Bubba w/a 45/70 »

I guess that after everything has been already said about the AR vs. Mini debate.....

Go down to your local gunshop and hold each one, "play" with them each a bit, don't listen to the gunshop guru's points on which one is best for this and that, then get the one that feels best in your hands.

Either one will run good for general plinking, the AR will normally have better long range accuracy, but cleaning is much easier with the way the Mini operates. Sight issues can be overcome with a bit of work on the mini, and if you have the need for hanging a bunch of tactical equipment off your rifle....well the AR is probably the way to go then...

If you ever find that you have shot a mini enough to make it start to malfunction, then find a river, strip the gun down (out of wood stock), work the action under the water, put is back together then fire a couple of mags to dry the water off....it will work again. Try that with an AR.
Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Please read:
Ben Sira 2: 4-9
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

txpete,

I don't think they "you know what"what you called it,for normal "Non Competition" they are nice guns!
However--------with that said---------

They "are not" up to the standards of a "very accurate"Match Gun is all I am saying.We can compare targets all day long.(Got many/many of which are 10 shot groups the size of a golf ball or smaller and these are (off the bench)and have been verified.

I also---- have a National Match Springfield Armory M1 Garrand
I also---- have a National Match Springfield Armory M1A1
Suppose the Ruger out shoots these as well??

Either of my Colt Match HBARS will out shoot either above(of mine at least)all day long.(and no problem with barrel heat either)
Take yours to a real Comp Match and get truthful how really they stack up.Otherwise it just sounds silly.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Jason_W wrote:Knowing me, by the time I've saved enough to buy anything, I'll have changed my mind about 20 times :lol:
Good to see I'm not alone in that... :lol:
alnitak wrote: No, never heard from those guys again -- on the axis or the buffalo. After almost two years. I've written them off
Same here. :|
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

"IF" I was going to shoot a match I have a rifle or two that I have in the safe that I could do that with.I don't believe I said anything about a mini shooting in a match against any rifle to include your tuned match mouse guns. :wink:.fwiw I shot on the pistol team for 2 years while assigned to ft hood 7/17 cav.I was also asked to try out for the rifle section also but was deploying again that would have been fun.

janson asked

I may have posted a similar thread a few years back, but I don't remember. If it's a repeat, I apologize.

I'm considering saving for my first semi-auto centerfire (a process that will likely take years at this point)

Compared to the AR-15, what's the general consensus? I like the fact that I can buy two minis for about the cost of one AR, and I like the feel of the mini better. What about reliability and durability? I'm not overly concerned with accuracy, as long as it's capable of consistently putting all shots inside a paper plate at 100-150 yards, I'll be happy.

Any experience with a newer model mini in comparison to the AR?

I think I gave him a fair and truthful answer to his question.I don't believe he asked about M-1,M1A's or match grade colt HBARS and he was going to comp.matches.

he said

I'm not overly concerned with accuracy, as long as it's capable of consistently putting all shots inside a paper plate at 100-150 yards, I'll be happy.

again I gave him a fair answer and targets with load data that will do that just fine with a mini-14.
pete
DAV life member.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pete,

Fair enough, Let's let it go at that. His money/His choice.
I was going buy the question of him asking "Compared to the AR-15, what's the general consensus? I like the fact that I can buy two minis for about the cost of one AR"
Maybe,they do sell 2 of those Ruger's for $900 (no idea) $450 for one??????????? New
The Match Colt will actually cost $900 New
Just was giving an honest opinion. But everyone has their likes and that's surely ok.

See ya!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

txpete wrote:nothing against AR's I tot'ed a M16 for over 20 years.the fact is the ruger does eat where it craps (M16 gas system sucks).
...didn't you mean the Ruger does NOT 'eat where it craps'...?
2ndovc wrote:I don't think I would choose it over my Colt
AR Light Weight but I certianly would over a Heavy Barrel Mach.
If I'm going to lug around a rifle that heavy I'm going to
have my M1A!
Good point. I guess I like the 'carbine' and 'rifle' pairing, like with a .44 Mag 1894 and a .444 Marlin 336. In the semiauto guns, I'd make my 'carbine' a Mini-14, and my 'rifle' a Garand or M1A. If they had to share ammunition, I'd make the 'rifle' my DPMS bull-barrel. I know the CAR-15 'shortys' are considered a 'carbine', but they sure don't heft as handy as a Mini-14.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I have a newer Mini 14, stainless, synthetic stock, which I really like, except it ejects the brass clear into the next county-oops-I mean state, making it very hard to recover for reloading purposes... :(
I haven't really shot it enough to get a solid idea of its accuracy, but my initial impression is that it shoots just fine.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

madman4570 wrote:Pete,

I was going buy the question of him asking "Compared to the AR-15, what's the general consensus? I like the fact that I can buy two minis for about the cost of one AR"
Maybe,they do sell 2 of those Ruger's for $900 (no idea) $450 for one??????????? New
Just was giving an honest opinion. But everyone has their likes and that's surely ok.

See ya!
I was basing my pricing off of old data. I didn't realize the cost of the minis had gone up so much in a few years. Weren't they retailing for Less than $600 new just a few years ago? Or maybe it was longer ago than that.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I was at the gun show sat. and there was plenty of AR's for $799.00.
if you have a military ID card/leo you can buy a S&W MP for 749.00 at quantico tactical.
the new mini-30's at the gun show were marked at $649.00.I didn't price the mini-14's as I have one.
"if" you want a AR right now is a good time to buy as the market is flooded with them.a good friend of mine that has a gun shop has had AR's sitting in the rack now for months.
lots of people went out and bought a bunch of them with the obama going into office :roll: .watch the trader boards you might pick up a deal as the economy stinks and people start to dump them.lots of "rambo's" bought them and made them look like a swiss army knife :lol:have fun :D
pete
DAV life member.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good point - there are and will be more hardly used AR's on the market. Fear purchases by people that don't have any real interest in shooting that are now needing money. Sad.

I won't be among those ridiculing them - I completely understand the reason that they made the purchase. My advice to anyone that did and is now thinking of selling - don't! ;)

ETA: Not only don't sell, but buy a couple cases of ammo, mags if you don't have em too! And do some practicing ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jason_W wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Pete,

See ya!
I was basing my pricing off of old data. I didn't realize the cost of the minis had gone up so much in a few years. Weren't they retailing for Less than $600 new just a few years ago? Or maybe it was longer ago than that.

Jason,
To be fair to you after carefully rereading your posts and myself taking my biased feelings out of the equation.
You said the most important thing that really should have stopped me in my tracks.
You said----"I like the feel of the Mini's. Just that kinda says it all.
Guy that gun feels good to you then grab it and enjoy it when your time comes.
I do own many Ruger different rifles/handguns etc and they are all very well made and function very good and are pretty darn accurate too,so it should serve you very well!
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I am among those who like the Mini's. I've used M-16's in the Army and had a CAR-15A2 which I liked alot, but still prefer the Mini. I bought one new back in the mid 80's and loved it..traded it away after 4 or so years as I just wanted something else at the time, and figured I'd get another. I shot it alot but did not shoot it for groups. Always seemed to hit what I was aiming at up to 100 yards. The Mini has a class to it it with the wood, lines and feel...and agree with those who liken it to the M-1 Carbine. If feels wonderful in the hand.

That being said, I've always wondered why you can have an M-14/M1A and in souped up form it can use it to shoot fleas at 300 yards, but you can't do the same with the smaller Mini-14. Maybe it's just barrel stiffness, or some other factor that I don't understand. Also, I was never able to get a magazine into a Mini as fast as I could the M16/AR15. Might have been just the mags that I had for it but the the AR mag changeover always seemed more effortless.

I would love to have another to play with.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I'm a big Ruger fan. I've got a M77, a Number One, a 10/22, a 77/50 muzzleloader, a couple Vaquero 44 mags, a new .44 special, a 32 H&R birdshead, and a MKIII .22. I've also had a number of single sixes, a Super Blackhawk, an Old Army, and a couple other rifles.
But when I wanted an autoloading rifle, I bought a DPMS AR-15 with a 20 inch bull barrel. Accuracy is important, even if most of my hunting/shooting is 50 to 75 yards. Sometimes a yote gets out at 350 and I want a chance, and sometimes I'm going to take a 200 yard shot at a jackrabbit.
In addition, I like to find my brass again, and I can do that with an AR, and can't nearly as easy with a Mini.
Those two reasons put the mini out and the AR in.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Forgot to mention, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pistol grip on an AR.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Thanks for all the input. There's a lot to consider, one being that an AR is available in many more chamberings than the mini. Changeable upper assemblies is also a nice feature on the AR.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've owned an AR which I purchased for professional reasons. When those reasons disappeared I sold the AR because I never felt all that strongly about the platform. I've wanted a Mini since I was 12 y.o.. I've always liked the look and feel of a Mini-14. Now after looking at txpete's stainless Mini, I want one all over again.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

just going to throw one more thing for you jason to think on...
7.62 in a small package.
pete

socom

I will tell you no problems with your pie plates @150 yards with iron sights.
DAV life member.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

I've had the stainless Mini-30 for years. Only problem I ever had were hard primers with a case of Wolf ammo. A stronger hammer spring from Midway took care of the problem. Its taken its share of yotes off the hood of the wood truck. Guess I'm old school: went with the Mini-30 (vs Mini-14 or AR) because I like the .30 Caliber - I think bigger holes let the air out faster...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

txpete wrote:just going to throw one more thing for you jason to think on...
7.62 in a small package.
pete

socom

I wish!! :lol:

If I'm ever of means, that will be high on my list.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jason_W wrote:
7.62 in a small package.
pete

socom

I wish!! :lol:

If I'm ever of means, that will be high on my list.

Think I see another gun I want! I really like that short guy! :mrgreen:
That would be very sweet! A first class act!

Can you even imagine what a deer rifle that would be(5rd mag to be legal)
Good grief,That 16" barrel with some good .308 deer droppers.
Deer at 200yds. Need a scope?? NOT! :lol:
what a woods or field gun. Just keep forgetting how sweet they look that short.
Drool Time,cleanup! yep, next gun-----------Honey??????
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

First used an AR in Air Force basic training in 1970. Have an RRA now. Have also had a stainless/wood Ranch Rifle since I don't remember when. :)

As many have said, the AR is just cooler; more accurate, and far more tacticool. Fun to shoot guns, for sure.

The mini-14 isn't as accurate, but it is lighter - a feature I appreciate more as I hurtle toward retirement age . Since I'm older, I like wood stocks. I also think it's a rather good lookin' firearm, especially with the 5 round magazine. Mine's very reliable, and new shooters seem to like shooting it when ready to move up from rimfires. I'd prefer they used my bolt action .223, but they mostly seem hot to trot for the semiauto. It could be that I'm just out of touch.

I enjoy shooting them equally as well, so you obviously need both, eh?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

After all this emotional and ballistic 'debate', it really sounds like the thing to do is to buy a Mini-14 and an AR lower. That way, you've got your 'toe in the door', and can spend some time fiddling with the Mini to see if you like it (many of us can't imagine you wouldn't).

After that, if you like the Mini, keep it and slowly but surely accumulate the AR parts for a really cool HBAR match gun at your leisure. If you don't like the Mini, sell it and accelerate your progress towards your very own 'custom' AR-15 variant.

I've been interested in firearms for the past 40 years, and instead of spending money on flat-screen televisions, fancy cars (I replace mine every 20 years or so), or whatever, I wound up among other things with an AR-15 AND a Mini-14. I wouldn't like to just have one of them, any more than I'd like to choose between my Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, and my 1903 Springfield in .30-06 - eventually, you'll want BOTH a Mini-14, and an AR-15.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have an AR and a Mini-14.

If I had to grab one and my day-pack on the way out the door in a hurry, it would be the Mini.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:After all this emotional and ballistic 'debate', it really sounds like the thing to do is to buy a Mini-14 and an AR lower. That way, you've got your 'toe in the door', and can spend some time fiddling with the Mini to see if you like it (many of us can't imagine you wouldn't).

After that, if you like the Mini, keep it and slowly but surely accumulate the AR parts for a really cool HBAR match gun at your leisure. If you don't like the Mini, sell it and accelerate your progress towards your very own 'custom' AR-15 variant.

I've been interested in firearms for the past 40 years, and instead of spending money on flat-screen televisions, fancy cars (I replace mine every 20 years or so), or whatever, I wound up among other things with an AR-15 AND a Mini-14. I wouldn't like to just have one of them, any more than I'd like to choose between my Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, and my 1903 Springfield in .30-06 - eventually, you'll want BOTH a Mini-14, and an AR-15.

Great advice!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The idea of buying a mini and a Ar lower is not bad!You could put the Ar together as money comes available. I've loaded my mini with 68 grain hollow points and had some nice groups out of it.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

The mini-30 is actually looking tempting. Seems like it could almost be likened to a semi-auto version of a 30-30 levergun. I'd feel a little better about the larger bullet for deer.

As I said earlier, the 6.8 is a neat idea, but my fear would be that the lack of popularity could send it the way of the .351 Winchester, or the .30 remington.

Of course, this is all moot until I get a job :evil:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm with you Pete!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

txpete is onto something good, there! I don't think I mentioned it in my earlier post in this thread, but one big reason I like Minis is because they are a miniature of the M14/M1A, which is of course a development of "the best battle implement yet devised," the M1 Garand, to use the (approximate) words of General Patton. I don't yet own an M1A or other M14, but an M1A is on my short list, and I deeply miss the Garand I had to sell during a lean time. I waver back and forth over whether to try for a Garand or an M1A first, and it will probably depend upon which which good deal first coincides with available funding. I like the easier ability to top-up the M1A, and its ability to share ammo with my .308 BLRs.

Meanwhile, every time I use one of my Minis, it is a rehearsal for using a larger rifle in the same weapon family.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Bubba w/a 45/70
Levergunner

Post by Bubba w/a 45/70 »

FWiedner wrote:I have an AR and a Mini-14.

If I had to grab one and my day-pack on the way out the door in a hurry, it would be the Mini.

:wink:

I've owned both also, and the mini's have always stayed in my possession. It is my opinion that it carries much better than the AR series....more like a rifle should carry for me.
Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Please read:
Ben Sira 2: 4-9
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

My first rifle was a mini-14. I loved it. I would still have it now if the govt hadn't decided I was too irresponisble to own such a thing. It was absolutely my go-to gun. And with reloads, every bit as capable as me.

My brother uses an M4A1 for his work and seems to think it does the job. It has some features that are more useful to him in his line of work.

Personally I like wood over plastic.

Waz
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

7.62 in a small package.
pete

socom

Cool!!

You guys got me looking.

Here's what appears to be a factory Mini-30 with scope on target at 420 yards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4SVwSGPLOc

Gotta love it!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

With a Mini you have a rifle that carries like an M1 Carbine but hits much harder. A stainless Mini-30 would be a fantastic truck gun and/or woods rifle and I agree that they carry much nicer than an AK-47. I've got both and I would grab my Mini before I'd grab the AK.

I should note, however, that an SKS carries about like a Mini-30 and they cost less. Get a good un-fettered Russian one and you've not only got a nice short range deer rifle, you've got a nice milsurp and a bit of history.

Or just stick with a lever gun in .357! :D

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Depends on what you want a rifle for and whether or not you are sensitive to political correctness. If you are looking for MOA accuracy, then look to the AR types or move up to the M1A type. I have had a Mini since the first year they came out and currently have two 580 series Ranch rifles (.223). They have done everything I wanted and several coyotes and other varmints can testify to that, plus they are extremely reliable. Yes the mags are expensive, but they work. I have 5, 10, 20 and 30 rnd mags, all Ruger and all reliable and tough.

I have several liberal friends who are new to shooting. They enjoy shooting my Mini's (and my lever guns) and think nothing of them, just another rifle. They have never seen the guns with anything but 5 rnd mags. I could care less, but it is nice to be able to win an argument with them when they start ranting about assault rifles and I point out the similarities. The black AR types, used by the military, are evil, while my mini's are "neat". I can't explain it.

I have always liked the M1 Carbine style but not the caliber and the M1A types, especially the SOCOM Scout have priced themselves out of my collection. Say what you will, the Mini 14 is a good gun that is fun to shoot.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Meeteetse wrote: The black AR types, used by the military, are evil, while my mini's are "neat". I can't explain it.
It's just like the old-school levergunners who think walnut & blued metal guns are "neat" but synthetic & stainless ones are "evil" - :lol:

Silly me - I like the "neat" ones AND the "evil" ones.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Meeteetse wrote: The black AR types, used by the military, are evil, while my mini's are "neat". I can't explain it.

I can, That evil gun---------It's because that 5.56 just kills the enemy better at least than the Mini 30.(Actually M14 talked about) :wink:

No, in all honestly though-----I did watch a show(I believe it was on the History Channel"Modern Weapons" on where one of the top combat commanding officer's(Ranger's I believe) was actually saying that the .223 on humans because of the tumbling effect within the body actually stops the human enemy better overall.He said---either will kill the enemy with a proper shot,but did say the shots where the target is not hit properly, the 7.62 just goes through but the 5.56 even being a FMJ destroys about everything either still killing the enemy right then because of that tumbling or rendering the enemy incapable of further threat.

I was suprised he was so adimit on which caliber on the human enemy was more lethal.
His exact words(I wont forget was----I have never seen a target that was hit by a 5.56 that didn't stay down,but with the 7.62 I have. I believe he served in battle also in Viet Nam as well as Iraq.

I wouldnt want to be hit by either, but I did find that interesting!

Lets face it---The Mini(whatever caliber)The AR15,M14,M1,etc are all the real deal and very lethal.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Over the years I've owned several, probably a dozen, Mini-14's including a factory FA AC556 when I was a deputy sheriff. The FA functioned without a hitch, with factory mags. With any other than those it was a stuff shoot. That's also my finding with most of the others I've owned, some mags work...others just won't.

The most accurate one I've ever owned was a early GB20, 180 series, that had the old style bolt hold open and roller cam on the bolt. It would shoot inside 1.5" all day with about any ammo. None of the others ever came close, about 2.5- 3" was the best I could ever get out of one. The last two later models I owned were stuff in the accuracy department, over 3", closer to 4-5" with irons at a hundred yards for 10 shot groups, if you not going to measure accuracy in 10 shot groups you can stick with a bolt or lever gun.

Other than the 10/22 and AR15, there are more after market gadgets for Mini-14s than you could ever possibly want.

But......

Changing parts on a Mini is a PITA. Replacing almost any part on an AR is a do-it-yourself, 5 minute job...a barrel takes about an hour if you're slow. Factory replacement parts for a Mini come from one place, and some they won't sell just anyone, for the AR EVERYTHING is available from numerous sources and not all that expensive. Tools for working an AR's are not expensive either, a complete kit is about $150 or less including headspace gauges. If you want to scope your rifle the AR is the only way to go, and it blows the Mini away for iron sight selection too. The cost of 10, good spare mags is $100 or less for the AR, at least double that for the Mini.

I like to work on my own stuff. I like having spare parts in hand, although other than replacing a worn buffer and spring, after several thousand rounds I've never had to replace any. I also like knowing that I can aim at the bridge of a bad guys nose at a hundred yards with iron sights and know I'm going to hit inside a silver dollar.

My lever guns are my fun guns, although I have a lot of fun with my ARs, I own three and am building another. My black rifles are my serious business/bad times guns and in that respect the AR15 systems simply blows the Mini-14, and most others for that matter, away.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I like the Mini "in theory".

I love the Garand, so the idea is fine.

The reality in my experience (shooting Minis ranging from 1980s-mid 2000s vintage) has been different. Expensive mags, nonexistent accessories, and accuracy ranging from "shotgun" to "decent" depending on the rifle. Scoping didn't help.

As to comfort in the hand, I've spent most of my life with an AR/M16/M4 in my hand, so they feel "more natural" to me, that's a moot point. A Garand or a Lee-Enfield is just as comfortable.

If their QC and accuracy level was better and magazines didn't cost a fortune, I'd have one around. But they aren't/don't/won't so i keep my ARs and milsurps.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

MrMurphy wrote:I like the Mini "in theory".

I love the Garand, so the idea is fine.

The reality in my experience (shooting Minis ranging from 1980s-mid 2000s vintage) has been different. Expensive mags, nonexistent accessories, and accuracy ranging from "shotgun" to "decent" depending on the rifle. Scoping didn't help.

As to comfort in the hand, I've spent most of my life with an AR/M16/M4 in my hand, so they feel "more natural" to me, that's a moot point. A Garand or a Lee-Enfield is just as comfortable.

If their QC and accuracy level was better and magazines didn't cost a fortune, I'd have one around. But they aren't/don't/won't so i keep my ARs and milsurps.
Yep, that's another way to put it.

I've spent money on a Garand but I got an AR instead of a Mini-14...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

My final thoughts on this dead horse we keep beating: I've always had a "jones" for a Mini (spurred by A-TEAM episodes), I've always heard the reports on poor accuracy and other issues, and yet Ruger's been making them for over 30 years so they must be selling them to somebody. Ruger doesn't seem to be shy about jettisoning models from the line up that don't sell (ie; 44 mag carbines, leveractions). So I continue to wonder, "should I get a Mini 14 someday"?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Yep, get one.
I think most people(read that above somewhere)don't care if it groups 1 or 3 inches.
If it carries really well,lot of fire power and has the Ruger Name(known for quality stuff)
That hard core real wood concept appeals to so many people and without a doubt it is a fine weapon.

Buy one?-------------Absolutely! It's a Ruger!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

nemhed wrote:My final thoughts on this dead horse we keep beating: I've always had a "jones" for a Mini (spurred by A-TEAM episodes), I've always heard the reports on poor accuracy and other issues, and yet Ruger's been making them for over 30 years so they must be selling them to somebody. Ruger doesn't seem to be shy about jettisoning models from the line up that don't sell (ie; 44 mag carbines, leveractions). So I continue to wonder, "should I get a Mini 14 someday"?
You bring up a good point there Nemhed (although I personally like beating dead horses, don't tell my mother). They are selling Minis to someone. Lot's of em. One thing that I think us folks that frequent shooting and hunting forums such as this forget is that "most other shooters, hunters and gun enthusiast don't frequent forums or other related internet sites". There's lot's of guys out there shooting guns that the internet deems as worthless and those guys are having fun and killin game with em. Most shooters buy a gun, shoot a gun and maybe clean a gun and are for the most part happy with them. I see it all the time with the 10/22. You'll see comments like you have to dump $$ into them to make them shoot. Well don't tell that to the millions of shooters out there plunkin away, killin squirrels and having fun with bone stock 10/22's (like I did for 25 years). The Mini is the same. I'm betting that 9 outta 10 Mini's sold will never see a bench beyond sight-in time if even then. And 9 outta 10 will never see an aftermarket part. But there's lots out there blasting away with stock Mini's regardless of that and and having fun. The Mini is what it is. Ruger never claimed otherwise. If you like em have fun. If you don't like em why not let someone else enjoy there's for what it is. I never understood all the AR vs. Mini stuff anyway, 2 different animals intended for 2 different groups as far as I can see. As I stated before the Mini is a "lever gun on steroids" and it's dang good at that.

LK
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Sometimes it seems to me that the people who are constantly finding fault with the Mini are just looking for an excuse not to buy one when they know they really want one. You know, tell yourself it's bad long enough and you begin to believe it. Truth is, the Mini has been around for 30 years and it ain't going away any time soon. I carried an AR around for a few years like many here, but I never really liked it. I liked the one I started with, the M-14. I do not feel the need to justify my choice. The Mini works. . .Try one, buy one, you might like it. . . .I do.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

I'm very partial to the Garand design, and also to wood stocks so my vote goes to the Minis. Wish I didn't sell mine at a time of financial destitution. Wish someone commercialized a .223 necked up to .243 though I've popped a couple piggies with 70 grain handloads which dropped them like a rock.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Meeteetse wrote:Sometimes it seems to me that the people who are constantly finding fault with the Mini are just looking for an excuse not to buy one when they know they really want one.
:idea: I gotta start trying that...

...man those Freedom Arms .454 Casull are really bad, and I wouldn't want one of those Blackhawk .45 Colts for anything. The only thing worse that having one of them would be having one of those Ruger No.1's in .45-70, especially if it had to be a stainless one - Yuck... :!:

...Hmmm. :?: Nope. It's not working for me. I still want all of them. :?

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Think it's time fer me to try this too. Lets see a 1911's a hundred year old design and as such obviously can't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces. And we all know that the trigers on winchester 88's suck really really bad.

Hm I think you got that right I still wan't both. :)