Browning 92 Questions???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Browning 92 Questions???

Post by trouthunterdj »

Hello all,

This is my first post here.

I purchased a Browning 92 in really nice shape over the weekend and had a few questions.

Can anyone give me their opinions of these guns? I liked how it wasn't fit with a tang or crossblock saftey.

Can I fit it with a ladder sight? If so, where do I find one and is this a job for a smith? Does anyone have any pictures of a Browning with a ladder sight vs the buckhorn?

Lastly, can I shoot 44 Specials in this gun?

Thanks for all the help,

ddj
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 92 Questions???

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome to the forum !!

You can fire .44 Specials in it IF it`s a .44 Magnum but not if it is a .357 Magnum. :? :? I am assuming it is a .44 Mag. :D

They are very nice rifles. :D
trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Sorry, forgot to add that it is a 44 Mag.

ddj
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Welcome! I too have wondered about the ladder sight (but not taken next logical step of measuring or inquiring about the dovetail). The B-86s came with ladder sights, but don't know if the same dovetail as the B-92 or whether the overall size/graduations are appropriate for the smaller 92. There is a website source for new Browning 86 ladder sights I'll post when I find it--if it becomes germaine. Theoretically your 92 will shoot 44 Specials though I haven't tried in mine. Maybe Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones)--resident 92 expert here and elsewhere http://www.stevesgunz.com --or someone else can weigh in here. I say "theoretically" as many 92s need a little tweaking to reliably shoot the shorter "special" variants of their primary cartridge (44M/357M) chamberings. Re quality, many of us here believe the pre-safety "Miroku" Brownings are the best of the 92s.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

In fact, the ONLY way I could get mine to shoot 429421 was to load them in special cases. Even then, they were a little jerky trying to get that meplat started into the chamber. They would chamber but were not happy about it. Something like the RCBS silouette bullet, with the smaller melat, would work much better. Even so, I don't know whether it would work in the mag case. The only cast bullet that I had luck with the mag case was the RCBS 44-40 bullet (or other similar).
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've got two B92's in .357 and love 'em. Arguably the best '92s ever made.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

They Browning 1886 carbine "ladder" sight works fine on the Browning 92 carbines. The markings on the 86 sight are not range markings, as most Winchester carbine sights are not, they are vernier scale markings. Simply an evenly marked scale for reference (If it were a range scale in yards, they would be progressively farther apart as the range increased. Any use of the scale markings to any particular range would be simply coincidental).

You would have to fine tune the front sight to the rear if you used a carbine type sight, as they have no adjustment in the down position. I put a reveiver sight on my Browning 92, it was the best things I did after removing the tang sight it had when I got it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

TroutHtr Jeffs Outfitters (formerly Cape Outfitters) has repo sights. Those B92's are one fine gun. danny
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.as ... 65&panel=1
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I bought a Browning B-92 (.357) just after they came out more than 25 years ago or longer IIRC. The only mistake I made was not buying a (.44) at the same time. Several years ago I had a chance to buy a .44 that had a .22 bullet embedded in the stock for about half the going rate, but was too stupid to buy it. Didn't want the blemish in what was a new gun even though the price was about $200. Like I've done many times before and since, I always figure a good product will stay available, only to find out it didn't. You'd think I would learn.

My B-92 is a little picky about cartridge length and doesn't easily feed 38 specials. I do on occasion single feed a .38, but most of the time I stick with .357 length loads, some are just hotter than others. One of these days I'd like Nate Kiowa Jones to work the gun over so it is smoother and more reliable with .38's and .357's. The gun is one of my favorites. It handles well, carries well, shoots well and is pleasant to look at. I have not changed the large buckhorn sights because I think they are typical of the breed and I have learned to shoot well enough with them. Maybe someday I'll make a change. Enjoy your new rifle.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Thanks guys. What loads are guys running through the B-92 in a 44?

Also how much work does it take to install a new ladder sight?

ddj
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I have 2 in .44mag and they run great right out of the box, Specials included. I shoot SASS with them and haven't found a lever that gives me such a case of the giggles as they do...not yet, anyway!
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Changing the rear sight is the same as any other dovetail sight. That drift out from left to right as seen from above, muzzle away from you. If you havent done it before, use a brass or nylon punch or drift, and a small hammer. If the new sight is very tight, it's best to fit it to the slot so as not to use excessive force to drive the new one in and distort the barrel slot and possibly the bore.

I've shot more 9Grs Unique/200 gr RNFP cast bullets in mag cases than anything I believe, in mine. It's a very mild load, and approximates the orginal 44-40 load. Up from there, any 44 mag load works, tho if you go with heavier bullets, watch the overall length, and the width of the bullets nose. Real wide noses don't feed in mine.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

trouthunterdj wrote:Thanks guys. What loads are guys running through the B-92 in a 44?

Also how much work does it take to install a new ladder sight?

ddj
Not much work to it. Drift out the current sight toward the right looking forward with a brass drift. Sometimes a wood dowel will work. Then slide in the new sight rignt-to-left. The brass drift will leave a brass mark, but it should wipe off.

I wrap a piece of masking tape around the barrel and mark the notch location to aid in getting the new sight sighted.

My project gun would feed 355g hard cast but I haven't found out if the rifling will stabilize them yet. The '92 will handle most anything on the store shelves.

Regards,

Grizz
trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Malamute wrote:Changing the rear sight is the same as any other dovetail sight. That drift out from left to right as seen from above, muzzle away from you. If you havent done it before, use a brass or nylon punch or drift, and a small hammer. If the new sight is very tight, it's best to fit it to the slot so as not to use excessive force to drive the new one in and distort the barrel slot and possibly the bore.

I've shot more 9Grs Unique/200 gr RNFP cast bullets in mag cases than anything I believe, in mine. It's a very mild load, and approximates the orginal 44-40 load. Up from there, any 44 mag load works, tho if you go with heavier bullets, watch the overall length, and the width of the bullets nose. Real wide noses don't feed in mine.

Any Pictures of your 92's with ladder sights?

Do I have to worry about shooting a round nose in a tubular mag? Does anyone shoot a Keith Style Bullet in their 92?

Thanks Again. I really appreciate all the help!

ddj
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, I only put it on to be able to shoot a cowboy shoot (the rules don't allow a receiver peep sight), I'm not really a fan of barrel mounted sights. I have receiver sights on all my guns I use much. One thing about the Browning 86 carbine (ladder) sight was it sits pretty high off the barrel, in other words, the barrel dovetail on the 44 carbines is a bit shallow.

Do you mean the true Keith bullet of the Lyman No 429421 bullet, or a commercial semi wadcutter? The Keith bullets work alright in some guns. Mine won't feed them in magnum cases, as they are too long, but work fine in spl cases. Commercial swc bullets have shorter noses then Keith bullets, and work alright in magnum cases in my gun, but dont feed as smooth as a bullet with a less sharp shoulder.

I would be hesitant to use a round nose bullet if it was jacketed, or very hard and with high power loads, but the 44 spl level loads don't bother me to use in a tube mag.

trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Can you let me know what 200 gr. RN bullet you are using?

Thanks again,

ddj
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

trouthunterdj wrote:Can you let me know what 200 gr. RN bullet you are using?

Thanks again,

ddj
Nothing in particular. I just buy whatever brand I come across when I need some, or find for a good deal. They all seem about the same, just round nose flat point cast bullets made for cowboy action loads. Be sure they are made for 44 mag loads (.430"-.431"), not 44-40. The 44-40 bullets are generally a few thousandths smaller diameter.They are usually priced best by the 500 or 1000 lot.

trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Thanks Malamute,

I will see if I can find some of those bullets. Can they be ordered online?

ddj
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've ordered them from a couple places. Here's one

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... ets_1000pk

I'd check all the usual suspects for reloading supplies like Midway, Widners, etc. Some like cabeleas, but I find them a bit expensive on the things I've priced through them.

Try opening a "where do you buy your cast bullets" thread and you'll get a lot of info. I've found some good sources for different things on threads like that. I havent bought any for a couple years, so my info is likely out of date as to the best prices and best shipping policy. Shipping can really add up on bullets, compare shipping rates before ordering. Dillon used to ship bullets by flat rate mail, and it was quite a lot less money than UPS shipping.

trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Thanks Malamute. I ordered some 200gr.

Anyone else have some help or opinions with the B-92 in a 44?

Thanks again,

ddj
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

ddj, laser cast has some and the price includes shipping. danny
with gas check http://www.laser-cast.com/trueshot.html
without http://www.laser-cast.com/44Cal.html
trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

Thanks BigSky56 - I ordered some up.

ddj
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Your welcome. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trouthunterdj
Levergunner

Post by trouthunterdj »

We have the most snow I have ever seen here and today it was 11 below.

ddj
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Thats bad as its a damp cold there Ive had a mild winter most the snow has burned off the south slopes and the frost is gone on the bare ground deer and elk are eating on my round bale feeders at night spring is coming. danny