My Keystone Cops skunk battle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

My Keystone Cops skunk battle

Post by fatoldfool »

Stepped out the door and he was about 30 yds away in the yard. Grabbed the little Mossberg with the green laser and my 6P and went back out. Laser dead. Held flashlight behind my head with left hand, rifle in right hand and fired first shot. Skunk humped and ran. Attempted second shot, no function. Back in the house, Mossberg had empty and two live rounds jammed in port. Had to move seven guns from the safe to get to another .22. Stuffed 4 rnds into the old Rossi pump and back out. I could see skunks eyes shining over top of snow clump. Fired 3 more shots, one eye gone, one eye still shining. Walked close enough to see skunk was dead (probably from first shot) with several holes. Good old dependable Rossi pump. Oh, yard stinks!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Keystone Cops skunk battle

Post by pokey »

well.........uh.........good job?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Those Rossi are great guns,I have a short one i got new in 93 or so.It is dead on out of the box.I hate that smell.. :o
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

At least you found it and dealt with it before the dog did. Be thankful!!!!!!!

My old Golden Retriever once chased a skunk. MY God above did she stink!!! And she smelled fainly of skunk for months!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

The reason for my war on skunks is several months ago one got into my tightly fenced back yard and sprayed my two 8lb toy poodles. Of course they ran back through the doggie door and wallowed on the carpet and couch, and the whole house smelled of skunk for a long time. UGH, I have to go now and carry him away!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I NEVER WANT TO DEAL WITH A SKUNK SPRAYED DOG AGAIN THE REST OF MY LIFE!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

8lb toy poodles VS Pepe' LePeew :lol: :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Massingil pre-mixed douche, works every time.
Does that tell you somrthing?
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

My last battle didn't end as well. Skunk was in yard I'm yelling at dog to stay away from it (he's only half complying) all the while trying to get a shot and cut skunk off from making it to barn. Got the dog clear took a hurried shot and missed clean. Dog figures that it's hit and he now gets to bite it (standard operating procedure on my farm, for other critters) he runs in takes a squirt from unhurt skunk right to the teeth. After he got clear of I skunk I dipatched it with shot to the head, but I then had the fun of washing the skunk smell out of aforementioned dog. Two baths with Hydrogen Peroxide, soap, and baking soda mixed together later and he was good enough to let into the house that night.

I hate skunks.

TDF
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Based on the results of my last encounter, I can wholeheartedly endorse the 170 grain .30 WCF as a skunk stopper.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

This thread REALLY STINKS!!

:twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am actually hoping that I never have a reason to kill a skunk. I'll leave you all to it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

mescalero1 wrote:Massingil pre-mixed douche, works every time.
Does that tell you somrthing?

:o :o

I had one come right at me out the old place.
A 9x18 to the head changed his attitude.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

You can bet that from now on either that old pump Rossi or an iron sighted Marlin 39 will be in the front row of the safe! BTW, I guess this fat old man can still shoot a bit. There are 3 neat holes in a two inch group through the aluminum door that was behind the skunk, also shows skunk ribs don't deflect .22LR solids very much. :lol: Now the strange part, almost all odor was gone at noon today when I took a shovel and carried the good skunk away.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

I hate the stinky things too. I worked for the city for a while when I was young and had to trap them (cage) when folks complained. Just throw an old blanket over the trap and carry them to the truck, no spraying. But when we got out of town and put a 22 in their brain, they really sprayed! You didn't have to get hit directly with it, it just seeps into everything around, especially leather!
Got real lucky one night. A skunk had fallen into a window well and of course couldn't get out. The well was too deep and narrow to put a board ramp in there, so I carefully draped the noose of the catch stick over his head and around one front leg, cinched it up lightly and slowly lifted the critter out, and loosened the noose. The skunk waddled away without ever spraying. That would never happen again!
Glenn
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Wow, got another one last night, almost all black. As he died he let it all out. He is 40 yards from the house, the temp is 22 degrees F and when I step out the back door it is like he right there. It will be shower and washer time when I carry him off with the shovel.