Marlin 39a stock decorating comments requested

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Marlin 39a stock decorating comments requested

Post by wecsoger »

Or maybe re-decorating is more appropriate.

Just got a good deal on a 39a official Golden Mountie (w00t!) for a great price. Didn't want it that badly and had to clean out my stash fund, but it was a more than good price and the guy said he'd rather see me buy it now and kept cutting the price...

"U" serial so that makes it 1961 and in surprisingly good shape. Not much bluing left on the steel butt plate but good wood and good bluing else where. Not shabby at all for an almost 50 year old.

That's good news. Not-so-good news is, "Bubba" decided to decorate the stock by insetting a quarter on the right side. I have no clue as to what Bubba was thinking, as it's not too good a job.

So I have three choices now.

1. Leave as is. The quarter is the 1975-76 bicentennial one with the drummer, that's the side that's displayed.

2. Tap it out and do a proper inletting job with my dremel and throw in a fifty cent or silver dollar piece. If it did this I would definitely get a 1961 one.

3. Put something else more color appropriate. I mean hey, this is a golden mountie. I checked today with a friend and he said any gold coin to cover the hole would be in the range of $1000, so that's out of my price range. In addition I would be scared to death it would fall out sometime when I was in the woods or at the range

Or maybe someone has a better idea?
Ysabel Kid

Re: Marlin 39a stock decorating comments requested

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The minute-man is probably the bicentennial-issue quarter from 1976. Not a bad design, just a little small.

If you have room, how about one of the NRA coins. These are like "challenge coins" for the military. For that matter, a challenge coin would probably look sharp too!

I'm holding one of the NRA coins right now. It is just a shade larger (diameter) than an Eisenhower dollar coin. About twice as thick. One side has the NRA seal. The reverse says "Defenders of Freedom... NRA" with "'A free people ought...to be armed...' Geore Washington 1790" in the middle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a NRA medallion commerating the M-1 Garand that I'm going to put in one of the commemorative stocks I got for a Winchester 94. The flip side just has the NRA emblem (gold tone). Same size as a silver dollar.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

1961 50 cent piece seems to make the most sense.

Chris
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I would use my duplicator, and make a new stock.
As to the coin thing, I have a 50 Peso piece that has been gold plated,
it has engraved liknesses of
Juarez
Carranza
Villa
Zapata
Always thought I would dress up a Win. with that.
Should go over here on thr border.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You could find someone that does laser engraving and have them put any picture you want on that side of the stock. Maybe a Mountie standing at attention? There's a guy near me that does it. Dixie engraving I think is his name.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ I checked today with a friend and he said any gold coin to cover the hole would be in the range of $1000]

A Sacagawea US Gold Dollar is the size of a US Quarter, and Image

a similar George Washington Dollar coin will cost you $1 at any bank.

There's actually a bunch of Presidential $1 US Gold Dollar coins available for 2010:

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Wow, you guys are a lot more inventive than me.

Thought about it a bit today, I'm still a little torn. Would have liked the original stock untouched since that's part of the character of the gun, but Bubba has already done his thing so that's the way it is for now. If I do go ahead with a coin, it would (in my mind) have to be a 1961.

I'm going to have to ruminate and chew my cud on this. Bore looks clean but I still gotta get it out and shoot it, as soon as mother nature cooperates and that ain't happenin' for a couple of days. Guess I'm just stuck with taking it out in the garage and cleaning it. (grin)

Thanks for all the good ideas.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

The 1961 coin idea sounds good! Since the rifle is apparently a Canadian commemorative, maybe a Canadian coin would be the thing? Maybe Kirk will check in with an idea. 8)
How about a picture? :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

D'oh! I had sort of skipped over the "Golden Mountie" Canadian connection.

If it did anything, I really wanted to pitch a gold coin in there and dated 1961. Just checked, the Canadian 'loonie' didn't start production till 1987.

Oh, yeah. Also the 'loonie' is eleven sided, so that would be a very interesting exercise in inletting!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

A scrimshander could decorate an ivory-polymer disc or poker chip with any thing you want.

http://www.leverguns.com/scrimshaw/Default.htm