Anyone heard of the Appleseed Project?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Anyone heard of the Appleseed Project?

Post by shooter »

It's a two day class taught at various locations all over the country. They say they can teach anyone to hit a man size target at 400 yds. with a rifle. I'm thinking about going to the class in April. I don't usually shoot much past 300 yds, so I thought it might be beneficial to me. A life long shooter I know said he took the class and learned more in those two days about shooting long distance than he had in 50 yrs. combined on his own. Don't know if he's exaggerating or not, but coming from him it doesn't sound too bad. Anyone taken this class here?

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://appleseedinfo.org/
Last edited by shooter on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hobie

Re: Anyone heard of the Appleseed Project?

Post by Hobie »

You should get some replies shortly as I know some members have indeed taken the course.

Fred started the project.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks interesting. Been over 6 years since I took any instruction... (sniper refresher), maybe it's time. April (could be) is sometimes nice... in TX. $70 for a two day session isn't unreasonable. Hmmm....
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Seems like the Army had us doing that in 1972 with an M16 and peep sights 8) Maybe it was 300 yards, but still. I think the target was the torso and head only, whereas the closer ones were shoulders and head.
I can't imagine that a sporting rifle with any kind of scope would be that much of a problem, unless you couldn't get past the shooting a person part.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/page/2/

Scroll down to read Massad Ayoob's take on the project.

-Stretch
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cool I will have to check if they have one near me. I am always up for range time. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:Seems like the Army had us doing that in 1972 with an M16 and peep sights 8) Maybe it was 300 yards, but still. I think the target was the torso and head only, whereas the closer ones were shoulders and head.
I can't imagine that a sporting rifle with any kind of scope would be that much of a problem, unless you couldn't get past the shooting a person part.
Yes, it is pretty much the Army method...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hobie wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Seems like the Army had us doing that in 1972 with an M16 and peep sights 8) Maybe it was 300 yards, but still. I think the target was the torso and head only, whereas the closer ones were shoulders and head.
Yes, it is pretty much the Army method...
Nuts that means it is all goofy. :wink: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Griff wrote:Looks interesting. Been over 6 years since I took any instruction... (sniper refresher), maybe it's time. April (could be) is sometimes nice... in TX. $70 for a two day session isn't unreasonable. Hmmm....
The guy I talked to said that 95% of the instruction happens on the first day, so if you only wanted to pay for the first day and save yourself $35 on the second, you can go that route.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I went last year and had a ball! HOWEVER it isn't what you are thinking! Most of the people there used ruger 10-22 and the shooting is done at 25 yards on(very) scaled down targets. Now don't think it is a breeze at 25 yards cause it isn't. I went both days and learned a bunch about shooting and myself. I shot about 200-250 rounds on Saturday and all but another 500 on Sunday hence the 10-22s instead of the garands and 14's. A semi is the best choice because most of the shooting is timed. I did not make rifleman and will be returning this spring to try again. You shoot from standing, sitting/kneeling and prone. I will be happy to answer any more questions but it might be better to google revolutionary war veterans, and see for yourself. A good time guys. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

fordwannabe wrote:I went last year and had a ball! HOWEVER it isn't what you are thinking! Most of the people there used ruger 10-22 and the shooting is done at 25 yards on(very) scaled down targets. Now don't think it is a breeze at 25 yards cause it isn't. I went both days and learned a bunch about shooting and myself. I shot about 200-250 rounds on Saturday and all but another 500 on Sunday hence the 10-22s instead of the garands and 14's. A semi is the best choice because most of the shooting is timed. I did not make rifleman and will be returning this spring to try again. You shoot from standing, sitting/kneeling and prone. I will be happy to answer any more questions but it might be better to google revolutionary war veterans, and see for yourself. A good time guys. Tom
From what I understand, they teach you the basics at 25 yds. with scaled down targets, and then if the range allows it you shoot at the long distances on the second day for the qualification. I have also been advised to use a .22 instead of a centerfire, except for the long range shooting. Don't know if it's different depending on who teaches the class or not, but I was told to bring a .22 for the 25 yd. shooting, and a centerfire for the longer range stuff. I'm seriously considering making a trip to Roswell to take the course in April. Get to visit with my dad and bro. on the range, and learn something I don't know about shooting? Sounds like a good weekend to me.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

It may be that way at other places but I went both days and never shot farther than 25 yards. I had a blast and realized I wasn't as good as I thought. Will return this spring, it was about an hour from my house and worth the drive. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This really looks to be some fun. Found three places within a spit and a holler from me. Contacted the closest one and yep, fordwannebe had it dead to right .22 @ 25meters...both days, even though they have a 200 meter range. The next closest one says .22 @ 25 yards on Saturday, but if you want you can bring 'A' (I would like to bring five to ten rifles) center fire for up to 600 meters on Sunday. He said be forwarned though, last year there was a huge waiting line for long range. I have not received, nor managed to contact anyone at the third place....but they do have ranges up to 1200 yards. My .22 is pretty down right inaccurate, but fun, it is a Marlin 60 with an uber expensive Tasco 3X scope that someone threw into the garbage at my local club twenty five years ago. Not that it matters about the scope, the gun 8" patterns at fifty off a bench, even locked down in a vise...high quality piece it is. Now my M96 Swede, that'll lay'em in on top of themselves all day long or my little Trapper, it'll do a fair job of keep'n 'em in a 2" circle all the way out to a hundred. I suppose they will not allow those, will they?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sounds like NRA High Power, which is of course, military shooting.

I liked the matches that I shot. I've been thinking about getting into it again - there's a monthly match at the Austin Rifle Club and I've got the basic equipment (match legal AR, Champion's Choice scope and mount, shooting mat..). Maybe take my youngest son and have him shoot too. I could bring my 1903-A3 and shoot that and let him use the AR...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The problem with "other" guns is on Sat and pretty much all day Sun you are doing forty round strings in a couple of minutes. It was tough to do with loaded mags in an autoloader but some of the people were just there to learn to shoot better but you won't make"rifleman" without an auto. Good time and lots of very good instruction. Tom
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Appleseeds are aimed at rank beginners. Nothing wrong with that, it's a job that needs to be done; but when you are shooting at a 25 yard target there is no wind in the equation.

The general hope is that an Appleseed gets folks started with shooting, but also that people progress beyond that. You're not supposed to take an Appleseed and then figure you are done.

I don't necessarily think it hurts for someone to take an Appleseed even if he has been shooting for years. It's a rare shooting course where you don't learn at least something.

Disclaimer: I've never taken an Appleseed, but have read interminable discussions between proponents and, well, maybe they aren't opponents, but there are some folks who aren't crazy about the course. I learned to shoot on the Marine Corps range, M14's at ranges up to 500 meters.