OT - Show us your swords!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Show us your swords!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, on page 4 of the responses to JReed's post on "Show your military long arms", http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 1&start=60, Hobie suggested a "show your swords" post.

I'm here to please!

Rapier and Scottish backlash/broadsword

Patton sword

Artillery short sword and a Roman gladius

A katana, a tachi, a pirate cutlass and a "300 sword"

A "barbarian sword", a claymore, and a Viking sword

A cavalry saber and schmitar

A pair of katana's (Y2K's on the top, mine on the bottom)

A wakizashi

A dagger to go with the rapier in the first photo

Hobie, I apparently can't count. Then again, I was going from memory before. I have 17 swords in my office, not including the dagger in the last picture. :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: OT - Show us your swords!

Post by KirkD »

Wow, you have a lot of nice swords. I have just one, made by 45 Stomp. That fellow is a real artisan. This is a hand and a-half, also known as a bastard sword. With two hands, it is very fast. As you would expect from a gifted craftsman like 45 Stomp, he made it to be a working sword, with a strong tang that goes right up through the handle into the pommel. The handle is wrapped in leather. The blade is spring steel. The entire sword is a work of art, yet built to be used hard. Here are a couple photos ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

holy moly!
yk, are you ready for the zombie apocalypse? or what? :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thank you Kirk,
blade steel composition is a pet peeve of mine,
what makes a good " modern " steel,
does not by virtue make a good blade steel,
you got it right
mine is high carbon.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well here is one that many of you should recognize. I will have to take pic's of the others I have.
Engraving reads JREED LG 2008 again many thanks to you all fine gents.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

My 1912 pattern cavalry sword.

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoftwarePro
Levergunner

Post by SoftwarePro »

I'm not 100% sure, but my best guess on this one is an 1810 Militia Artillery NCO Sabre. It's a little rough but it's my own little piece of history.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pokey wrote:holy moly!
yk, are you ready for the zombie apocalypse? or what? :lol:
I started collecting swords a very long time ago. I wanted to be like my Dad, who collected guns, but as a minor they were out of reach financially and legally. So I collected every other type of weapon I could find, but really fell in love with the sword. Took fencing in college. Someday I'm going to have one custom made like Kirk did... :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jay,

That is quite a collection. Has your wife told you that you can only wield one at a time? :wink:

I have two. I'm sure there's some closet sword collectors. I'm not a bit surprised that .45Stomp could make one either!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

When it's "Lights Out" at Jay's house, you've got to count your fingers before you go to bed judging by the first picture. :o

Nice collection Jay.
ED
Yer never too old
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I remember well "Project Sword" for Gunny JReed, but it sure looks like the Kid doesn't need any help!

Nice collection Jay!

Here's my late father's original 1864 Civil War sword...
1864 07 Sword 3 views.jpg
You guys sure are "feeding my addiction"... I gotta getta sword of my own now!!!

And for some reason... I still have this pix saved in my "sword" file... Look familiar Jeremy??? This was before your change in rank and quarters...
JReed Sword 01.jpg
Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

WOW! neat swords YK!

I only have one, a Windlass Armory American Revolution Cavalry Saber. I'll try to get some pictures today or tomorrow.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's my son's and it's for show and not go, but I do have to say it's made very nicely out of real materials. From Lord of the Rings, The Sword of the King:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

1863 US Army Infantry NCO sword, AMES marked, and original scabbard. My dad found a box containing three swords at a dump when shooting rats in the mid 1960s. Two were KofC ceramonial swords, and ths old jewel then frozen in the horsehide. He soaked it in neatsfoot oil for a month or so to get the sword loose of the leather.
Certified gun nut
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Here's two Japanese swords from WWII

A Japanese sword from WWI. I need to sell this one and concentrate more on WWII items.

Sorry for the poor photo. I didn't want to dig them out of the cabinet, but here are a couple German WWII swords. The lionhead sword is triple etched.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JB wrote:A Japanese sword from WWI. I need to sell this one and concentrate more on WWII items.
That is really a Russo-Japanese War era piece BUT they were apparently carried and captured during WWII.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

They were issued Russo-Japanese and WWI, but you're right I've heard of people finding them in limited use in WWII. I still think of them as WWI or earlier. Most people that see it call it a cavalry sword, but this one actually is an infantry sword.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

It is starting to look as if I will never get my camera up and running, so I'll post some manufacturer pics of my America Revolutionary War Cavalry Saber.
http://www.kultofathena.com/images%5C500872_l.jpg

American Revolution Saber - 500872
American Revolution Saber

Circa 1775: The American Colonists were, like most of Europe, amorous of the dashing French Hussar. The handmade hilt of this American saber reflects their admiration of the 1700's French style. This well-balanced, fast sword was designed for the mounted fighter. Solid steel hilt with spiral pattern carved hardwood grip is married to an effective 1085 high carbon, well tempered blade. Comes with black leather scabbard with steel mounts. This attractive sword can be seen in the book ''Swords and Blades of the American Revolution'' by O.C. Newmann.
Overall Length: 39 3/4'' Blade: 33 7/8''

Weight: 1 lb 15.4 oz
Edge: Razor Sharp
P.O.B.: 6 5/8''
Thickness: 4 mm - 3.5 mm
Width: 33.1 mm
Grip Length: 3 7/8''
Pommel: Peened

In addition to the saber, I will have a Cold Steel naval Dirk by week's end. i don't know if it should be here or in the big knife thread, but I'll post it here.

http://www.kultofathena.com/images%5CCS88ND_l.jpg

Cold Steel Naval Dirk - CS88ND
Cold Steel Naval Dirk
During the golden age of sail, the Naval Dirk was a common sight on port town streets or on the windswept quarterdecks of a British Man of War. Worn daily by young mid shipmen and officers alike, it was often beautifully made and richly decorated. It was never simply a fashion accessory though; it was a very dangerous and lethal weapon. At sea, it made for a very effective slashing or stabbing tool that could be used independently or in combination with a cutlass, sword or saber.
The Cold Steel Naval Dirk features a sharpened, double edged, 1050 high carbon steel blade with a wide fuller and a thick spine for strength. To protect one’s fingers and to serve as an aid in parrying, it comes with a generous solid brass cross guard. The traditionally styled polished black horn grip is attractively ornamented with a brass pommel and matching spacers. Handsomely crafted and ready for battle, the Cold Steel Naval Dirk comes complete with a wood lined leather scabbard. The scabbard includes a decorative brass throat and chape as well as a carrying ring.
Overall Length:21 7/8'' Blade:16 1/2''

Weight: 1 lb
Edge: Very Sharp
P.O.B.: 1 3/4''
Thickness: 5.4 mm - 4.2 mm
Width: 31.6 mm
Grip Length: 4 15/16''
Pommel: Peened

If any of you guys have a hankering for a Naval Dirk, but have balked at the near $200.00 price tag, you'd best hurry over to The Kult of Athena website. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... Naval+Dirk. Cold Steel has discontinued the Navak Dirk and is selling off the remainder at $189.99. Kult of Athena has them in stock and is selling them for $104.95. You'd better hurry before they sell out. i don't think there will be any more.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Worth the wait Doc!!! 8)
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Here is the rack above my easy chair that holds my small sword collection. I had a few more, but donated them to the Sons of the American Revolution to auction off for scholarship funds. Top to bottom here is what is there.

1. Left handed Dixie flinter Tennessee rifle.
2. U.S. Naval Officers Swords presented in 1898 to Naval Cadet Walter B Tardy for contribution to athletics. He was Captain of the Academy football team.
3. U.S. 1860 Light Cavalry saber. Marked 1861 and made by Boker
4. U.S. Model 1860 Staff Officers sword. Made about 1875
5. Fraternal sword circa 1880
6. U.S. Marine officers sword circs 1915
7. U.S. Model 1902 officers saber (circa 1925) Carried by Col L. G. Mathews (my grandfather)
8. Persian 98/29 sporter made by yours truly in 2008
9. Irish blackthorn walking stick I use from time to time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Old No 7,
Your Dad's sword is a Mansfield & Lamb made in Forestdale, RI. I grew up less than a mile from where that factory used to be.

My dad has one of those Model 1860 Cavalry Sabers made the same year as yours. I always thought it was pretty neat to know it was made right next to home.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

US Cavalry sabers are interesting items with lots of history. Their evolution and eventualy disuse is hand and glove with hourse mounted cavalry tactics.

Most US Cavalry sabers were issued with a blunt edge. The thinking of the military was a soldier with a 32" sharp blade was a greater danger to his horse, his fellow soldiers and himself than the enemy. Most often the point was used to skewer the enemy on the ground. Even though the edge was blunt it would inflict a fearsome wound when swung with vigor by a man on horseback at a man on the ground.

The basic Cavalry use was to carry messages, scout, attack the flanks of the enemy but most inportantly to hack at fleeing foot soldiers after they had been routed. With the advent of the Colt pistol, that was all changed and Cavalry became attack forces. The South made great use of them during the Uncivil War.

After the Uncivil War, the saber was pretty much obsolete and relegated to the barracks and parade ground. I remember reading the account from the Geronimo Campaign, of a 6th Cav. patrol that made camp and a patrol from another unit came by. The 6th Cav. officer noted in his journal that it was only time in years of service where he saw troops with sabers in the field and he heard them coming almost two miles away with all of the nose the sabers made.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

JB- is that a paratrooper knife in the cabinet with your ww2 german swords.