OT coping with bad language.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT coping with bad language.

Post by Nath »

I have no wish to drag this upright place down and trust appropiate action will be taken should that happen but I have a problem and I wish to talk about it to good sorts like your good selves so it may help me.

I have at times a foul mouth, at work or in private. It is so much the norm now everywhere but it makes me feel bad after every time I have cussed.

Any tips on how to control a bad mouth any one?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT coping with bad language.

Post by Blaine »

If you pay me 1000 in British Sterling a day, I will follow you around with a large cricket bat......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote:If you pay me 1000 in British Sterling a day, I will follow you around with a large cricket bat......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a deal but I would prefer a "click" from a hammer, that should do it :lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Mental discipline.

I was a military policeman and I swear a lot more now than I did previously (I had quite a bit before......tapered off, then joined up and relearned all my old habits again).

When I concentrate and I know i'm in "polite company" it's not a big deal. Under stress or when i'm tired, or just being exceedingly blunt (as i'm known to be) they tend to slip out more.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

As MrMurphy said it's mental discipline. I cuss a lot less than I used to. But I've been unable to totally quit. I keep trying.
A friend of mine was just as bad as I was until he became a born again Christian and then he just ... quit. I was amazed as I wasn't able to.

We live in a time where polite conversation with proper grammar is almost dead. It's hard to have the mental discipline to speak properly and politely when we are surrounded by slobs.

Keep working at it, you'll conquer it eventually.
There is one incentive you might try, every time you slip stick a £ note in a rainy day fund.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

A long time ago I used to swear quite a bit and for the most part worked with guys that talked the same way. It becomes a habit, but habits can be broken. When I started having kids I decided there were some things I didn't want my kids see or hear and included in that list was me being drunk or cussing. I also looked around and saw that the people that cussed the most were the ones that had problems expressing themselves any other way or had a limited vocabulary. All that being said when I'm all alone and mad or frustrated, I still have a tendency to swear under my breath or "in my head". So I've still got things to work on. What bothers me today is how prevalent swearing is and a lot of people seem eager to drop the "f" bomb to give themselves some kind of credibility. I just know if my dad said dxxx it meant he was extremely upset and you best go run and hide. You can change your ways, Nath, I have great faith in you. You just have to want to change. Maybe your wife needs to apply the proper negative or positive reinforcement. :wink: My wife says "most" men are dogs, anyway.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

MrMurphey is so correct with regard to stress and tiredness and thanks Joe.

As Nemhed just said I think a low confidence can play a part to, thanks fellers :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Salty language can come back and bite you. It is known to lead to tickle fights and other deviant conduct and contact. Beware.

Bwana
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was in the army for over 27 years. I have heard or spoken just about every American English curse word and some in Korean, French and Chinese. I even know a couple of such signs for ASL. There is no need of using it. One doesn't always use adjectives why always cuss? Cussing is the great regret of my life. I make every attempt to avoid it now. Am I perfect? I doubt it. Mental discipline is it. Think before you speak. Break the habit.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

put on a E-Collier and have some one follow you around and each time you use fowl language they can shock you
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BlaineG wrote:If you pay me 1000 in British Sterling a day, I will follow you around with a large cricket bat......

............a simple solution, to a common problem. Just perfect. :lol: :D :lol:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I seldom swear or raise my voice. I save it for when I need it.

Mack
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Try thinking about it as a matter of pride that you are intelligent and articulate and grownup enough to be able to express yourself and get your point across without using foul language. It' s kinda like using positive reenforcement on yourself. Works.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J Miller wrote:A friend of mine was just as bad as I was until he became a born again Christian and then he just ... quit. I was amazed...
Words have power. Words change things. "Sticks and stones...but names will never hurt me" is a nursery saying that is consummately untrue. Words can hurt or offend, or soothe, and they affect how others think of us.

I remember from my first aid training sessions that a person can literally die if you go up to a disaster victim and say, "Oh, man, what a mess you are - you're a goner!" But saying, "It's okay - we're taking care of you - you're doing fine" offers a much greater chance of their survivability.

I know of several people who changed almost overnight when they ended up in a place where they got down on their knees, admitted their faults, and looked to a higher authority to take the driver's wheel.

One deputy in particular I knew sounded to me like a complete idiot, because he literally could not not speak a sentence without inserting the f-bomb. Yet, he was a very likeable, team-oriented guy. Then he "got religion" and the cursing stopped completely. The next time I saw him he was praising the Lord and leading other deputies to the path he had found.

I humbly suggest that when one's mind is exposed to, and accepts the unbelievable love of a supernatural being, the anger and rancor behind the cursing just disappears. The meaning and import of curse words as spoken with one's tongue becomes unpalatable to the speaker - like a favorite dish that you got sick on, and now never want to eat again. It worked for me.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JDF wrote, "I humbly suggest that when one's mind is exposed to, and accepts the unbelievable love of a supernatural being, the anger and rancor behind the cursing just disappears. It worked for me."

I like that :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't say any bad words. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Years ago, I was in the habit of continuously using foul language until I unleashed the "f" bomb at my mother's dinner table one night. She gave me a look that would have caused granite to melt, and said, "I do NOT allow that kind of language in my home!" I apologized profusely at the time, and started assessing my then current behavior. I wondered how many other people I had offended, and what they really thought of me. That was a very sobering thought, because I have always tried to be honest and kind to the people I come in contact with. To make a long story short, it took over two years of continuous effort to break that speech pattern, but I did. If I can do it considering how foul my mouth was, then anyone can do it.

I remember the incident when I finally broke the habit. I pulled open my sock drawer, and a pair fell onto the floor. I said dxxx, then thought to myself, what good did that do? I still have to pick them up off the floor!

Since that day, 30+ years ago, I can count on one hand the number of times I have slipped up. It is a wonderful habit to break! Good luck with it. :wink:
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Nath, As has already been stated self discipline and a heart for Jesus will get you on the right track. I use to couldn't talk without cussing in every sentence. I came to know The Lord Jesus about 22 yrs ago. With desire to please Him I have pretty well cleaned up my act. I still slip now and again, but realize right away what I have done and ask forgiveness. I figure if Jesus died for me, I should do all I can to honor Him.
UNITE
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sometimes, and I truly wonder this: Is it worse to swear and mean no harm or to pray and mean no good? I'm betting He dislikes hypocricy worse :wink: (not that there's a proper way to swear :oops: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'll tell you what cured me of using the "N" word--I ran my mouth at work bad mouthing certain individuals. My co-worker of 37 years turned me in to the front office :twisted: Management wanted to fire me but it was my word against his-----I was saved and good for me as I only have 5 years to go.

I know its not the Christian thing to do but someday our paths are gonna cross outside of work.

Nath, I have no cure for you. Personally, I just watch myself when I'm around most women as most men and some women are worse than me!---------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

every 4th word at work is f-this, f-that, f-you. outside of work i turn it off, without thinking. it's about respect for others. in the work place its used to get someone's attention fast and it works.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Swearing is like scratching your butt; there are many times it is inappropriate (a job interview comes to mind), sometimes it is acceptable (nobody else in the elevator and you have a wedgie), and a few times it is downright necessary. You just have to know what situation you're in and act accordingly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Words mean things, and every word has it's appropriate application.

The is no such thing as a "bad" word.

There are only inappropriate expression and bad people.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nath, just between you and me I know that reading James chapter three in my King James Bible, "not a new bible" tells me what a tongue is capable of. It tells of controlling the tongue. I have to read it once in a while, I get kind of sharp sometimes.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I was raised in a christian home. My dad was from a huge family of 16 kids counting half brothers and sisters. They were strong christians. I NEVER heard my dad or one of my uncles or aunts husbands ever talk dirty or swear. Then I started working on departments of foul mouthed guys and for a number of years fell into it sometimes myself. I got reaquainted with God. I very seldom swear. However what helped is retireing. Last night I cussed out our POTUS and my wife got on me. I prayed for forgiveness. Still dont like him though.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Start a "cuss jar", wherein you pay an amount (say, one Pound), immediately, each/every time you cuss - you might even have 15 or 20 new guns pretty soon, if you can get them put on your license.

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I am a firm believer that it has everything to do with who you make company with. And that means at work, and outside of work. If you really want to work at it , tell everyone you hang with your intentions. If they slow down, you will also.
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

This is purely a matter of self-discipline.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Moynihan
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I have been known to drop into "inappropriate" language from time to time. I have a &^%$#@! suggestion.

It only takes a week or two to make or break a habit, I think. For the next couple of weeks, pretend that your momma or preacher or the entire church women's association is hanging out with you. You will slip up from time to time, but you will be aware of your &^%$#@! words. After a bit, I bet you'll notice that your &^%$#@! mouth is behaving much better. Maybe.

It takes work.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Nath,
You have recognized you have a problem that really is the first big step in solving a problem. After that the guys got it right, think before speaking and self discipline.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

jnyork wrote:Try thinking about it as a matter of pride that you are intelligent and articulate and grownup enough to be able to express yourself and get your point across without using foul language. It' s kinda like using positive reenforcement on yourself. Works.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Many have mentioned "religious" experiences have helped. Having said that, prayer is as effective as anything. Prayer for help does not negate all the advice given about discipline. Prayer and discipline will kick the "habit". JerryB mentioned the "good old King James" Bible so here is a quote in addition to his: "Faith without works is dead, being alone."
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

nemhed wrote:I also looked around and saw that the people that cussed the most were the ones that had problems expressing themselves any other way or had a limited vocabulary.
Building on this idea, I have another suggestion.

As others have said, it is just mental discipline to stop yourself and consider what and how you are saying it. I know this works because I am much more disciplined at home than, e.g., out with the guys.

But, in addition to this tactic of "controlling" the impulse, why not try coming at it from a different direction, and focus on DOING something different, rather than NOT doing? My suggesting is to take up a vocabulary improvement program. Learn one or new words a day, and concentrate on finding opportunities to use them during normal conversation. Focusing on that may raise your overall awareness of what is being said, without the constant pressure of trying to avoid a "mistake."
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In my case, the guys I work with (immediate surroundings) are all ex-infantry, so with an ex-cop and 3 ex-grunts we all pretty much talk like we're still in uniform. "Outside" of our immediate office.....we have to watch ourselves since the ladies, etc don't like hearing a string of English, Korean, Arabic, Pashtu, Urdu and/or French/Italian/German profanities and other politically incorrect sayings.

Knowing the time and place helps. I'm 32 and have never, in my memory, said a cussword in front of my mother out of respect (she has in front of me growing up a few times). I've cussed in front of my dad here and there after coming back from the military, he didn't blink an eye (he's 62, 2 wars, 2 services and a bunch of different jobs, not much fazes him).

He's aware i'm an adult (my mom, like all moms, still seems to think i'm 12 at times).

While I'm not the best at not cussing, I can be my most inventively insulting without using a single swear word. Now that i'm back in college, one 18 yr old kid was being such a little idiot that i started talking to him. About five minutes later he was so ticked off and ashamed he left the class for quite a while. And I never swore once......

But I did question his parentage, intelligence, schooling, bathing habits.......etc etc. Kind of like getting chewed out by a senior NCO who doesn't have to raise his voice yet terrifies everyone in the room? (SMSgt Sullivan...I learned from you!) :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:Start a "cuss jar", wherein you pay an amount (say, one Pound), immediately, each/every time you cuss - you might even have 15 or 20 new guns pretty soon, if you can get them put on your license.

For my last 2 years I had a cuss jar in my office. We collected about $600 a year. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

In my younger days I played a lot of Softball. Our sponsor was a Local establishment who had a policy that if you were heard saying the "F" word you had to put a Dollar in the Juke Box. There were some nights especially after a bad game that I should have just hired a live Band!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Like many things moderation and timing can mean everything. In a bar shooting pool with friends? Mouth tends to loosen up. Working on a car and crack your knuckle? You guessed it (first time I ever heard my dad drop the F bomb when I was 13 or 14). Work? Depends, dirty jokes are told by many salesmen but it's generally very limited.

I can tend to have a potty mouth. I do very good in front of customers though and pretty good in front of the folks and my kids. Was working on a bad electrical connection at Walmart here a couple years ago. The wiring in this box was a mess and had way too many wires under each connection. I had to rewire the whole thing, on the sales floor while standing on a 12 foot ladder and resting against the metal grid ceiling. I got zapped no less than 6 times and managed to hold my tongue the entire time. Dad was at the base of the ladder to run interference from customers (another story all together) laughing his behind off though. I was ready to tear the place down I was so mad.

Cussing in movies....... I really get tired of all the F bombs in movies. While throwing it in for effect or realism may be necessary, movies with an F bomb once a minute really grate on me. What kinda messed up mind thinks that actually adds to the quality of a movie.

Don't like preachy types though. While rare, I have met fellows that get truly bent out of shape when they hear cuss words. While I don't expect anyone to put up with a true potty mouth to be offended and the mere thought of cussing is going a little over board. In today's world (or any day in history for that matter) you have to have thicker skin than that. If you get offended around cussin........ stay outta bars, stay off of boats, stay outta hunting camp, stay away from construction, auto repair and electricians that are getting shocked!

LK
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Cussing in movies....... I really get tired of all the F bombs in movies. While throwing it in for effect or realism may be necessary, movies with an F bomb once a minute really grate on me. LK
Yeah, I saw a cop movie once where guys were getting shot by crooks and lots of lead flying, and the cop finally gets ahead and draws down on the main crook who's just killed a couple fellow officers and innocent civilians, and the cop shouts "Allright, get your buns outta that car and on the GROUND, you jerk!" - somehow the word "buns" and "jerk" affected me then the same way seeing a 'Civil War' movie with a 1898 Mauser would affect me - just kinds not too. . . realistic...! :lol:

I do agree that most of the time it's the other way - swearing overdone for some kind of 'effect' that isn't needed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well you guys are the best, I was thinking I was going to be laughed out of town :D
Today I did manage to control my mouth some and yes I felt better for it.
Mucho thanks to all the advise you have shared :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

I've been known to use some really flowery language when, for example, dropping an anvil on my foot, or spilling (like earlier tonight) a bunch of powder all over the place.

I do not however blaspheme. I have also trained my girlfriend / wife / soulmate out of blaspheming.

I have sworn in front of my mother, mostly as a battle of wits, in the intellectual sense. Maybe you had to be there. It was fun.

Swearing in movies is sometimes appropriate and sometimes not. Sometimes well done and sometimes not. Sam Jackson in Band of Brothers springs to mind (on the well done side).

You can do pretty much anything if you really want to. Wanna stop saying words you don't like saying? Then don't say them. It IS a habit.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Hobie wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:Start a "cuss jar", wherein you pay an amount (say, one Pound), immediately, each/every time you cuss - you might even have 15 or 20 new guns pretty soon, if you can get them put on your license.

For my last 2 years I had a cuss jar in my office. We collected about $600 a year. :lol:
I used to work with a lady who owned a bar. She didn't allow the "F" word to be used, but other cussing was fine. Anytime the word slipped, she made the customer or employee put $1.00 into the cuss jar. At the end of the year she held a party with the jar collections. On that one day everyone enjoyed the party and was free to use the "F" word as much as they wanted!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I have cussed like a sailor most of my life. I try to control it, in mixed or polite company, but I have worked around rough talking construction workers and farmers all of my life, and it's hard to break the habit, although I have been trying for a while.

Unfortunately, if I get mad or fustrated, it just comes out. My cussing is directly related to my stress level, which is pretty high a lot of the time. If I couldn't vent, I might just blow up. I think if I didn't have to work for a living, I could do a lot better. And If I didn't have to follow a bunce of stupid drivers to work every morning, I could do better. And if the democrats would resign, I might do better. IF, IF, IF, IF, ETC. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron