OT: What sight is on this Enfield?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: What sight is on this Enfield?

Post by J Miller »

I was watching the video "I Like Guns" by Steve Lee of Australia. Very enjoyable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb ... re=related\

Anyway he was shooting an Enfield, No1 Mk3 I think with a sight on it I don't recognize. Can somebody ID if for me?
Here's a screen cap of it:
Enfield sight from I LIKE GUNS.JPG
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Re: OT: What sight is on this Enfield?

Post by Hobie »

It looks like it might be a Redfield at about max elevation but it could be a Parker-Hale. It is NOT a Lyman or a Williams. I suppose it could be a Pacific... :idea:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Wish I could help, Joe. I had to resort to modifying a Williams 5d made for a Rem Model 788 to work on my Ishapore No. 1. It looks like that sight would have saved me a lot of trouble.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The elevation part looks like a Redfield 102 , they made it only for the Enfield 1917. It doesn't look like this one mates to the receiver very well.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Most countries have a match version of their service rifles that feature a different sighting system. It could be one of those variations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty wrote:Most countries have a match version of their service rifles that feature a different sighting system. It could be one of those variations.
It isn't one that I've seen before.

I have a Williams FP for the No. 1 rifle... I'm waiting for a reasonably priced barreled action to come into my area of influence so that I can use it to make up a .375 2½" Express... They sure are more expensive, even bubbaed beyond belief, than they used to be. :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

375 2 1/2 express. I think you are leaving a baited hook out there and I'm bitting Hobie do tell more.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, Hobie, what's a .375 2½ Express????

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

J Miller wrote:Yeah, Hobie, what's a .375 2½ Express????

Joe
Joe,

A little info here:
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage. ... iberID=256

BSA and others chambered Lee Speed/Enfield sporters for this cartridge. Like this:

To get back on topic, the receiver sight is a bit of an oddball to me. Parker Hale, Mues, Central, etc all mounted on the LH side with a long extension that attached to the butt socket.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Could be a sight adopted from one intended for another model firearm.
Sincerely,

Hobie

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

I was thinking that same thing. It looks familiar, but don't look right on that rifle.

Bruce,
That is a neat looking cartridge. I wonder if you could convert a No4 Mk2 to use it?

Joe
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Was wondering the same thing because of two things ,one you can scope a no4 and two the barrel on the no1 is usually a bit lighter weight then on the no4 if you were to keep the same conture. I wasted my youth on scopes.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

J Miller wrote:Hobie

Bruce,
That is a neat looking cartridge. I wonder if you could convert a No4 Mk2 to use it?

Joe
I can't imagine why not. I would love to build a rifle up from an SMLE action for this cartridge, trying to replicate the Lee Speed look.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

J Miller wrote:Hobie,

I was thinking that same thing. It looks familiar, but don't look right on that rifle.

Joe
Maybe one of these ???
Redfield 102-M
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

That looks real similar, but there are a couple minor differences.
That Redfield has some of the design features of the Williams 5D series.

Joe
jc5
Levergunner

Post by jc5 »

Who owns that BSA Lee Speed pictured earlier in the thread? I'm researching those and would love to get some data on it.

Thanks!
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have questions or data to share, please send me a PM.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Looks like a Parker Hale hunting sight. The easiest conversion for the L/E is to take a 336/94 Williams and mount it on the right side with the base backwards. You turn the apeture mount around and you are in business. I've done a lot of these for folks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KCSO wrote:Looks like a Parker Hale hunting sight. The easiest conversion for the L/E is to take a 336/94 Williams and mount it on the right side with the base backwards. You turn the apeture mount around and you are in business. I've done a lot of these for folks.
I'll have to look at my No4Mk1 and FP 94 and see how it looks.

Joe
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Looks like an old Redfield 102 to me.

For the No. 4 SMLE Redfield made a cute little adapter that replaced the rear sight and provided base to mount a sight on the left side. The sight was the same one as used on Marlin leverguns, but with a different designation. I have one on my Longbranch and it works very well.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Charles wrote:Looks like an old Redfield 102 to me.

For the No. 4 SMLE Redfield made a cute little adapter that replaced the rear sight and provided base to mount a sight on the left side. The sight was the same one as used on Marlin leverguns, but with a different designation. I have one on my Longbranch and it works very well.
Charles,

Could I impose on you to take some pictures of it?

Please, purty please???? :P
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I'm 99% sure that isn't a Redfield, the construction is wrong. BSA purchased car loads of surplus arms and reworked them and sold them as new. There were many variations and I would bet this is one. The sight could be a Parker Hale or an Aussy product. If you look at the base, it looks like it wasn't made for the gun. It actually hits the wood.

BTW I just purchased two of the last four copies of the Golden Century from the publisher in GB. The Golden Century is the history of BSA and isn't sold in this country. Since I was going to all the trouble of having a copy shipped over I ordered an extra thinking it might help someone else out cause there aren't no more. PM me if interested.

Dave
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Redfield 102-M

That's a Redfield sight?

I have one that was on a Mauser sporter. I didn't know who made it. Been thinking about selling it, have any idea what they go for?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I also have that Redfield sight on my original Win 1895 30 US and that is why I don't think the one in the picture is a Redfield. First off the knobs are different. The bend in the appeture base is a much larger radius and I suspect that is because it was pressed. The appeture doesn't look like it has the same windage adjustment but it is hard to tell in the photo. It would seem much more likely that a British concern made it. Over the years I have owned several Enfields including one now and I have never seen such a sight. Since I have a fondness for Enfields I pay attention to them in shows and on line, I have never heard of a Redfield on an Enfield in over 30 years of looking at them.

Dave