Cartridge Belts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Cartridge Belts

Post by 336A »

I'm starting this thread as I did not want to hijack Rangerider's thread below. I understand that cartridge belts make a whole lot of since to some here. But I would like to clarify upon my stance of cartridge belts. The reason that I posted that I don't see the point is due to me wearing my revolver on my trousers belt. Also I have a butt cuff which holds 10 rounds and one of those nylon fold up cartridge wallets that hold another 10 rounds. I do conceed though that if I could afford a nice leather rig that KirkD posted awhile back with his very nice S&W (great photo BTW) then I probably wouldn't have made that statement. Until I can afford a rig like that and find a suitable western style holster for my S&W M10 looks like I will be sticking with what I got. So lets see those rifle cartridge belts for if ya' got em' as someone here may just give me an idea :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cartridge Belts

Post by FWiedner »

I have mixed feelings on cartridge belts.

A guy needs extra ammunition, and a belt provides a nice place within easy reach to find that extra ammo, but I much more favor a wallet or pouch casing than exposed cartridge loops, which is what I envision when the phrase cartridge belt is used.

I don't have an objection to the temporary carry of ammuntion in a cartridge belt, although I do have a concern about environmental issues of handling to prevent ammunition from becoming damaged or collecting debris that might render it unavailable for immediate use.

I guess I have I have an objection to storing ammo in a cartridge belt, which to me is how ammunition put into belt loops on a cartridge belt always ends up.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I like a cartridge belt, but with only 10-12 loops. I have a money belt from Rick Bachman, dba Old West Reproductions, www.oldwestreproductions.com that I bought 10-12 years ago and it's the most comfortable belt I've ever had. It's made with chap leather and it forms to whatever I'm wearing and doesn't give me hot spots on my waist.

I like a cartridge belt because no matter what I'm wearing, chaps, heavy clothing, etc.. I can get to a few cartridges without getting half undressed or digging around in my pockets.

I know Buck could make the same belt.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I like cartridge belts. They keep a usable number of rounds handy, and don't bulk up your pockets. They are easier to get to than wallets also. I use my belts every day. Most hold 20 to 25 rounds. I like keeping 2 or 3 small game/grouse/snake loads on the end for easy access. When carrying a belt of rifle shells, I usually turn the rounds to the front so they're easier to get to, and they don't scratch the rifle if Im carrying it slung. They also don't scratch up the truck seat or make lead marks on it that way.

I'm not sure why it would be a problem to store ammo in a belt, I do it all the time. I use a smaller size plastic bore brush every now and then (maybe a couple times a year?) to gently clean the crud off the inside of the loops, and wipe off the rounds, but otherwise the belts I use have had rounds in them for years. I just like having them handy and ready to go.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I like cartridge belts. As has been mentioned they carry a usable amount of ammunition in a place where it can be reached when needed. It also serves as a good place to carry your handgun (if not using a shoulder rig) knife , and saw/hatchet.
check out www.jeffsoutfitters.com they sometimes get some good deals running on cartridge belts.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Interesting discussion, never gave the issue much thought. Here in Iowa ya just don't need much ammo when in the field. 10 rounds is about all I carry, we aren't out for days and aren't very far from the truck. When hunting with the Security Six I'll start with 10 rounds in the loops on the bandolier holster I use, subtract six after I load. When slug hunting I shove 5 in the shotgun and an extra box of 5 in the pocket. When calling or spot and stalk hunting fox/coyote I usually have 5 shots in one pocket (that go in the gun when I get out of the truck) and 5 more in another pocket. Same when I took the .30-30 out deer hunting, cept I think I had 6 in each pocket. The only time I carry a good bit of ammo is when coon hunting, callin or behind hounds. Then I have a small freezer ziplock bag with a handful or an extra CCI plastic box with ammo in the daypack. Sometimes both for that matter. But in general, I usually have a full gun and a reload, plus or minus a couple.

Anymore, if I'm carrying a gun "on the hip" it's on my leather pants belt, extra ammo in a pocket or daypack. Only tried a dedicated, separate gun belt a few times with the Security Six and my 22/45 and didn't care for it much. So no cartridge belts for me I guess.

LK
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Most of y'all have seen all the rigs I have. I have trouble enough keeping my pants from sagging without have ammo in the pockets or a revolver on my pants belt. I have cartridge belts that can carry rifle and revolver cartridges. I do at times just carry a rifle or carbine with cartridges on the sling with no handgun. I never go out on the ranch without at least a handgun, too many 4 and 2 legged varmints around. In the last 6 years I have had to point a revolver at poachers 5 times. The ranch is close to COE land and they say they got lost or mixed up. Sure they did. All the COE land has walk through gates!
"That'll Be The Day"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I wear a rig for 2 reasons. 1 to carry extra ammo in an easy to reach place. 2nd and the main reason is the wider belt spreads the weight of my 7 1/2" Vaquero out over a larger area making it more comfortable to wear all day when going up and down ruff terrain like you find out west were I am from.

Oh I almost forgot when you are out in the brush it is nice to be able to take the gun belt off when answering the call of nature instead of having it on your pants belt dangling beneath you. :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

JReed wrote:
Oh I almost forgot when you are out in the brush it is nice to be able to take the gun belt off when answering the call of nature instead of having it on your pants belt dangling beneath you. :wink: :D
Dang straight there zippy, I completely forgot about that one! Everytime I drop my trousers a gun on my waist belt pulls the dang belt outta the loops on my pants. Have to be quick to keep the gun from dropping.

Thought of another reason that I don't use cartridge/dedicated gun belts though...... It's easier to leave the holster on your person and put only gun in the top storage of the dog box or tool box when at/in the truck. It's an Iowa law thing that states you either have to have the gun outta the cab or in a case to big to be concealed.

BTW, thought I'd let you guys in on a secret...... They have invented the perfect item for carrying extra ammo. It's called a detachable mag! Oh the humanity! :twisted:

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

L_Kilkenny wrote:
BTW, thought I'd let you guys in on a secret...... They have invented the perfect item for carrying extra ammo. It's called a detachable mag! Oh the humanity! :twisted:

LK
What is this detachable mag thingy you speak of :?: :D Sound like just one more thing to lose in the weeds. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JReed wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote:

LK
What is this detachable mag thingy you speak of :?: :D Sound like just one more thing to lose in the weeds. :lol:
You know, it goes in the bottom of that hot rod .22 Uncle Sam lets you play with... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I've always liked and often use cartridge belts. I have several. Some dedicated to one specific cartridge like .357 or .44 that allows me to carry extra ammo for either my handgun or rifle of the same caliber. I also have two other belts, both have 10 rifle loops and 12 handgun loops. One I use for .308 and .44 mag and the other for 30/30 and .45 Colt. I also have a canvas cartridge belt similar to the old cavalry type that could hold up to 40 rifle cartridges. It never has cause it is too heavy, but if I ever have to ride in search of Geronimo, well I'm ready. . . :lol:

I like a cartridge belt because it's separate from my trousers and doesn't pull them down. I can take it off when resting without getting half undressed and it is sort of cool hanging on the hook in the camp tent. I guess my cowboy days are still with me because I started wearing a cartridge belt nearly 60 years ago when I was allowed to "carry" my uncle's .22 pistol. Been doing it ever since. They don't have to be fancy or expensive, in fact I like plain leather belts best because you can't hurt them.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Are the best thing since Col. Colt perfected the Revolver! :twisted: I have a Jack Stewart made 3" money belt that's looks suspiciously like Jeremy's. However, it hold a full 50 rounds (#1 advantage to being a fat guy)!

I've had Hunter's, Safarilands, but my favorite after Jack's creation are those by Bianci.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Fat guys and cartridge belts...
My buddy Bounce is a BIG guy, a BIG guy. He bought a custom money/cartridge belt and had them sew loops all round, 78 of them to be exact. He came to range and sat filling the belt, then he strung on a Colt 7 1/2" SAA and a 10" bowie. He slung the belt around and buckled it tight and, and, and the darn thing dropped around his ankles. He never could get it to stay up fully loaded and had to have the local boot maker attach SUSPENDERS to it.

I don't carry one hunting as I have yet to use more than 5 shots to finish a deer. I carry the revolver in a shoulder rig under my jacket or in a cross draw on the belt. The cross draw has 6 loops on the holster and that is enough for me. I ifgure if I can't find my way home with 11 revolver rounds and 7-12 rounds in the lever gun I wasn't destined to make it. If this were 1880 and I thought I might get in a fire fight i'd probably have a ctg belt and a bandoleer.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

KCSO
Your right I don't fill my belt up when out hunting. I only carry 1-2 reloads of pistol rounds in the loops figure more then that is just to much extra weight. I do have 4 extra rifle rounds on the belt as just in case.
I really don't care for shoulder holsters. I always wear a pack of some sort when out and shoulder holsters just seem to get in the way of my pack straps and give me uncomfortable pressure spots.

I guess the reason belts work for me is I am tall and thin @ 175lbs soakin wet so don't run into the problem of them wanting to not stay up. They work for me but everyone is built different and has different tastes.

Belt is covered by my jacket but the but of my pistol clears just fine.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Those are some nice rigs folks. Don when the heck did elk start burrowing under tress :lol: Was it when you started letting loose on them with that there howitzer? :lol: Seriously though very nice elk and rifle you have there. Anyway I've got another question for you folks. On another board I saw a picture of what is possibly a first year production S&W M&P with a 6 1/2 barrel. The poster bought from it from a friend who in dire financial straights with an open invetation to buy it back for the same price. This was the friends granfathers' revolver so it is a family heirloom. Anyway the revolver came with a double loop holster. So my question is how well would my S&W M10 with it's 4" barrel fit in a western style holster? BTW here is the picture of the M&P along with the holster, enjoy.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I have trouble enough keeping my pants from sagging without have ammo in the pockets or a revolver on my pants belt.]

That sounds like you need to take some Asitall pills - made for those folks who have no asitall. ;) :mrgreen:

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

".....how well would my S&W M10 with it's 4" barrel fit in a western style holster?"

"Western style holster" leaves a LOT of latitude. If you mean how would it look in a traditional style holster made for the gun, then I would say it would look great. If you mean how would it look in a holster that wasnt made for it, it probably won't look great. There were many different makers and styles of holsters used in the 1800's. Some were regional, and some varied by time period. For an online resource, I'd suggest looking at El Paso Saddlery's web site http://www.epsaddlery.com/ They do some nice traditional style rigs in several styles. It will give you some ideas on different styles. If you can lay hands on a copy of the book "Packing Iron", then you will have a lot to digest. Your library may have a copy or be able to get a copy for you.
Last edited by Malamute on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D you gotta watch them elk they's some sneaky critters , no tellin where you'll findem :mrgreen:

You see alot of the old SW #3's in double loop holsters, and sometimes some of the early ones like the one you pictured.
Moral of the story if you want to carry a double loop holster by all means then do so.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

always carry way more bullets than i need. goes back to watching old movies were they run out of ammo. not me, i'm ready for anything :lol:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Can't say I'm a fan of cartridge belts. I much prefer some sort of belt carrier that encloses the ammo. Less chance of loosing any (yea, I know it never happens, except I've seen it). Also, if you carry a rifle slung, the ammo carrier protects the stock.

As to carrying lots of spare ammo, I have to admit that when I was younger, I would carry a heck of a lot. But I've smartened up a bit. I usually carry the firearm loaded, and another complete reload. Still probably too many. Let's face it, unless you're doing something like busting running jacks with a .22 handgun, just how many rounds are you really going to need on most hunts. I've never missed a shot because I was out of ammo.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'll weigh in on this one, too. I wear a sixgun (5 1'2" old vaquero) a lot around the farm and woods; in fact, practically anytime I'm not wearing an issue sidearm for my paycheck. I've tried a number of belts and have come to a few conclusions.

I like a belt at least 2" wide, with a lot of flex. It also has to have considerable adjustment because I might be wearing it over jeans or insulated coveralls. It can't be slick lined because I don't have an azz to hold it up. Especially in 'quiet' insulated coveralls, I'll walk it down around my ankles in short order. This DQ'ed an old on Hume River Belt I've used for 20 years.

On a whim, I bought a $8 black nylon 2" cartridge belt with bullet loops. Think it's made by Bob Allen or somebody. It had a sucky buckle on it and enough length to go around me 1 1/2 times. I shortened it up, burned the end and added a slip-keeper to tie up the loose end, while allowing for plenty of adjustment. The cartridge loops are tight for .45 Colt and do an excellent of retaining the 25 rounds the belt holds. I've never lost a cartridge from it while cutting brush, splitting wood, in & out of the pickup etc. It'll also hold 30-30's, which is an added bonus. The nylon is rough enough that it stays put and don't slide around, no matter what I'm wearing. It's light in weight and dries quickly if I get caught in a downpour.

The gun is always loaded and left in the holster, secured by a hammer loop. If I'm headed out, I just grab the rolled up rig & I'm well-fixed for whatever comes. While not traditional, this makes for an extremely practical arrangement that leaves nothing to be desired in a hard-use outfit.

Last edited by Sarge on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Malamute, I absolutely LOVE those photos! LOVE them!

Anymore I use the same belt though I have many. This particular one is after years of learning. It is a 3" El Paso Saddlery belt with 15 rounds of .44 and 9 rounds of 45-70. The 45-70 loops stay empty except during hunting season or I'm out shooting a 45-70. In the fifteen .44 loops I carry 5 cast SWC's, 5 cast RN and 5 jacketed, all with the same load. The 3" belt makes it so I don't even think about weight of my belt, holster and pistol.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson