quick review- 2 pairs of field boots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

quick review- 2 pairs of field boots

Post by Streetstar »

Quick field review - Danner Ft Lewis boot in desert tan vs. Rocky Intermediate/cold weather boot

Every one on this site who encouraged me to pick up a pair of these when i inquired a few months back - thanks. I recall being a bit concerned about the "rough-out" finish, ( although it is the current optional field gear for the mil ) ---
I have not had a chance to try these in field conditions, unless you count tromping around people's yards in Baltimore after the blizzard, but i wore these for a recent visit to the Wash DC National Mall as well , and put them through a forced march pace for a couple of hours . As well, my feet were hurting yesterday in running shoes, so i slipped (well, slip is not the term, this is a huge boot) into these and i can honestly say they were more comfortable with better support for my feet than the running shoes. The rough out leather is much softer than smooth leather and these required no break in at all --- plus , when worn under jeans -- they just look like a pair of "Timbalands" rather than a 10" field boot --- great kit

Next up is a pair of issue intermediate weather boots (made under contract by rocky, Bellwether , and a couple others -- these are Rockys) -- picked these up in a shop in Columbia Missouri on my way East, ---- I wore a pair of these for a year overseas in the late 90's and was familiar with their cold weather capabilities --- but since the switch to the new uniforms , and the tan boots (like the Danners) supply of these in popular sizes has about dried up

I have worn both an equal amount of time roughly (still dont want to tromp around in mud with those pretty tan Danners yet :lol: )
There is no comparison in terms of comfort and break in time - the Danners win hands down. Fit of both boots is close though, as they are both 11xw's . After many hours of continuous wear -- i still cant say they are broken-in yet, but they are definitely waterproof and mudproof--- They will probably last forever for my uses too -- they just don't have that feeling of putting your foot in a nice , secure glove the Danners have
However , there was a price difference -- the Danners were 240, and the mil-surplus Rockys were --- $45 :D

I think price no object for a hard use military style field boot that is warm, and waterproof -- the Dans win, but i was pleasantly surprised that the $45 surplus boots i bought for mud use are not that far off the back and would really do somebody a good job if they were on a budget too and just needed a nice sturdy and warm pair of hunting boots -- (i just dont remember them ever taking this long to break in -- although i am not doing 8 hour patrols anymore either :lol: )

----- Doug
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Re: quick review- 2 pairs of field boots

Post by BwanaDave »

I'm a big Danner fan too. I was very disappointed with my one experience with Rocky's, I threw them away after one hunt and bought Danners. I put a lot of miles on them and I am on my second pair. They last me about ten years. I still have the old pair I leave them at my cabin since they are still useable.

Dave
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Just my own experience with Rockys.They were my last pair of boots before I retired and I would go Danner if I had to do it again.The soles wore in a strange pattern and they developed a squeak that wouldn't go away till I got them real wet one time.The only reason I held out so long with them was being cheap and stubborn.May put them in the fire with my last uniform!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Mine squeaked too. It drove me crazy, I was on a moose hunt and it was squeak squeak squeak like I was trying to call in mice.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

model55 wrote:Just my own experience with Rockys.They were my last pair of boots before I retired and I would go Danner if I had to do it again.The soles wore in a strange pattern and they developed a squeak that wouldn't go away till I got them real wet one time.The only reason I held out so long with them was being cheap and stubborn.May put them in the fire with my last uniform!
were yours the NSN contract issue boots like i pictured? I never had a prob with mine using them for a year in Bosnia in the late 90's , but who knows who made them as they werent marked -- i would imagine Atala or maybe Bellwether. These Rocky's are identical, down to the lining and the size stampings at the top of the shank.
No squeaks yet, but i'll keep that in mind

The Dans on the other hand, are so comfortable i am still wearing them, even though the weather on the east coast is great right now -- the feets get warm, but they dont sweat yet

I cant wait till hunting season now! This last season i was out in 20 degree weather in completely inappropriate footwear and it was miserable --- but now i feel the problem is solved
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For myself I have found the uninsulated Danner Gore-Tex GTX 8"(non zip)Strikers amazing.
One GOOD pair of Merino wool socks(cold weather) and regular white cotton boot socks rest of year is what I use year round when I wear them. So far have had mine since 2006 and they are good as new!
During the cold hunting seasons used to use the heavy insulated stuff and my feet were colder?
Think because maybe they were cramped more or whatever.
Danner's are great boots. Paid $99 for mine (New) on EBay from a dealer.(Think then they were normally $149)
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I am pretty sure mine were a different model and they were made in china :oops: