OT Taurus Revolving Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

OT Taurus Revolving Carbine

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I've always had an interest in the revolving carbines (that I first saw in a John Wayne movie!!) and find the Taurus Circuit Judge a daring move!!

http://www.rossiusa.com/2010newcatalog/?catalog_page=4

My question is about handloading for the 410 cartridge in this firearm. Seems to me a LOT of powder could be loaded into that case making it a really heavy hitter!!

Anyone have an insight into a "magnum 410" load with a single projectile in this little rifle???
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT Taurus Revolving Carbine

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd rather (if I had the money) get the Magnum Research BFR revolver in .444 Marlin.

You could shoot .410 shells in that if you wanted 'shot' loads...
...and ordinary .444 Marlin shells for 'slug' loads. :shock: :mrgreen:

WAY more power potential, and more compact. 70 oz.

Still, the 'Circuit Judge' looks like it could be a fun toy (...aren't they all... :wink: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I just LOVE the concept. I think Cimarron or somebody
like that made one (maybe still does!).

But that beast has got to be THE UGLIEST firearm
I've EVAH laid eyes on. It's like they went out of
their way to beat it into shape with a BIG UGLY STICK.
My word!

-Stretch
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

AJMD429, are you sure that's not a BFR. It looks identical to mine.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chas. wrote:AJMD429, are you sure that's not a BFR. It looks identical to mine.
Yep - I stand corrected. :oops: Post above now fixed. :wink:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Taurus/Rossi is gonna get flat eat up with law suits where someone has placed the forward hand/arm too close to the inevitably escaping gases of the cylinder/barrel gap.Remember the thing that recently went around the internet where the guy shot his finger tip off by having it too close to the gap?
The circuit judge is an accident waiting to happen.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Stan in SC wrote:Taurus/Rossi is gonna get flat eat up with law suits where someone has placed the forward hand/arm too close to the inevitably escaping gases of the cylinder/barrel gap.Remember the thing that recently went around the internet where the guy shot his finger tip off by having it too close to the gap?
The circuit judge is an accident waiting to happen.

Stan in SC
Those guns are really cool looking, but that's the reason I've never bought one. I had my left hand torn up pretty badly by the cylinder blast when I grabbed a gun in the hands of a drunk 16 y/o. Took over a year for all the powder to work it's way out.

If you get one of these be mindful of the cylinder blast, it's pretty potent.

Rob

Edited to add: If you look at the 4th pic on the add it looks like they've installed a sort of blast shield on this gun. The cylinder's different than on the Judge pistol.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I really hate to defend the Circuit Judge, since I don't care for the .45 LC/.410 concept, but there really is a cuard to contain the barrely/cylinder gap flash.

If you enlarge the photo a few times you can actually see that the gap is covered. how effective this will be I don't know, but at least they are making an attempt to prevent the flash burns.

My big complaint is the enormous amount of jump a .45 LC bullet will have before it reaches the forcing cone. I don't have a .410 or .45 LC cartridge handgy for comparison, but I believe that a loaded .45 LC cartridge is considerably shorter than a .410 shell. If 0.1" of additional jump can cause accuracy problems in a .44 RemMag or .357 magnum revolver shooting Special cartridges, imagine the possible problems facing 0.5" or more of extra freebore or jump from case to cone. There is not telling what the angle of the bulet might be when it hits the forcing cone. I will be surprised it accuracy is much better than abysmal.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Note: the cylinder guard is only on the left side. So you lefties beware. :evil:

This would be a cool gun if they would lose that ugly stock. Replace it with a polymer pistol grip and an AR15 M4 style adjustable stock. Or an underfold stock like on the Keltec SU-16s.

My other concern is price. MSRP is guesstimated to be $600+ which would be $500+ retail.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doc Hudson wrote:My big complaint is the enormous amount of jump a .45 LC bullet will have before it reaches the forcing cone. I don't have a .410 or .45 LC cartridge handgy for comparison, but I believe that a loaded .45 LC cartridge is considerably shorter than a .410 shell. If 0.1" of additional jump can cause accuracy problems in a .44 RemMag or .357 magnum revolver shooting Special cartridges, imagine the possible problems facing 0.5" or more of extra freebore or jump from case to cone. There is not telling what the angle of the bulet might be when it hits the forcing cone. I will be surprised it accuracy is much better than abysmal.
My ".45/.410" breakopen rifle shot maybe 12 inch groups with .45 Colt ammo at 25 yards... :cry:

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I mentioned that guard before, back when this useless (IMNSHO) thing first hit the board. Makes me wonder about just where it redirects the gases, &c to....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Cimarron's SA Revolving Carbine has a better look to me. However, its only available in 38/357mag or 45LC.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

COSteve wrote:Cimarron's SA Revolving Carbine has a better look to me. However, its only available in 38/357mag or 45LC.

yep, that'un looks better, but it will derned shore burn yer arm!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Buck Elliott wrote:I mentioned that guard before, back when this useless (IMNSHO) thing first hit the board. Makes me wonder about just where it redirects the gases, &c to....

Looking at this closer picture. It seems the cylinder guard directs the blast upward. It is the only thing that would make sense to me. If the gas is allowed to escape downward or horizontal the shooter would feel the blast. Unless it is totally shield to direct the gas to the other side of the cylinder, but the tolerance of the shield to cylinder would have to be very very small.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Here is a better picture with the cylinder open. Looks like it is tight tolerances to direct the blast to the other side of the cylinder. Beware it is a large image, but you can see the detail.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BfntzXv0_PE/S ... CN1684.JPG
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I have a Uberti made Remington Revolving Carbine. I previously posted the following picture in another thread. I shoot this carbine in both .44 cap and ball, and using an R&D replacement cylinder that enables using .45 LC. No matter which you use, you just CANNOT put your left hand in front of or even close to that cylinder. The hot gases will really scorch your forearm. Burned right through my shirt, and quite a bit of meat. There is a reason that there is no forearm on that carbine! I don't know if the Taurus "fix" will work or not, but I would be a bit leary. I learned the hard way.

That being said, once you find a comfortable stance and hold, that revolving carbine is a hoot to shoot. Note the spur on the back of the trigger guard. That tends to be where I steady with the left hand.

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I also have the above posted Remington 66 Revolving Carbine. This is a fun shooter, however you must never place your hand forward of the cylinder when firing the piece. I use a flat based conical 45 bullet or round balls. The Round balls are more accurate.

I bought mine from Cabela's 20 years ago.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

ANY clearance between the "shield" and the cylinder -- which there must be -- can direct gasses back at the shooter's face...

My thought is: No Thanks...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

COSteve wrote:Cimarron's SA Revolving Carbine has a better look to me. However, its only available in 38/357mag or 45LC.

I really wish someone would make a Revolving Carbine like the one in this picture in a 22 caliber. They could make it on a frame like the Ruger Super Single Six and provide a spare cyl. to shoot mags. This way you'd have a small game rifle that could shoot 22 shorts, longs, long rifle and 22 Mags. There is no other rifle out there that can do that and I would buy 2 of them in a heart beat ( one for me and one for my wife ).

JT