Offhand Shooting with a Sling?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Offhand Shooting with a Sling?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Was watching a show the other day on (I think) the Military Channel. On it they said that a sling was pretty well worthless for offhand shooting. IIRC they said for a sling to do any good the elbow must be supported at a minimum. Now this goes against everything I have read or been taught and I strive to always use a sling. I will admit that I don't notice much improvement at the range with one though.

What say you?

LK
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Offhand Shooting with a Sling?

Post by JReed »

We (the Marine Corps) have gotten away from using a sling in the off hand. Not because it isn't effective but because most people don't know how to teach the use of it correctly.

Personally under good conditions I shoot just as well slung or un slung. When shooting on the range i prefer not to sling the rifle in the off hand. If it is really windy I like to use a sling in the standing just for extra support other then that fighting the sling just makes my arm tired.
I wish I had some good pictures of the right way.
In the standing the sling shouldn't be as tight. You wrap your arm through as you would in any position except the sling is loose. You tighten the sling up by lifting your non firing elbow to apply sling pressure and steady the rifle. The concept is that you don't adjust the sling the technique is for quickly steadying the rifle for a fast standing shot while you look for cover.

Where the sling really makes a difference is in the kneeling, sitting, and prone positions. Here you are turning your self into a bench rest so the more you lock your self and the rifle together the better.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sling is not used in NRA or ISU competition in offhand, only in sitting, kneeling and prone. If you can make good use of it in the field, go right ahead. :D
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

At Matches I did not use a sling on Off Hand, M-14, (Leather Jacket made a difference though)
It is not the critic who counts
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I use the sling in offhand shooting, but don't know if it does much in that position. The main reason is to keep the sling from swinging around like a pendulum. I think it can help hold the rifle in position when working the bolt offhand tho.

I like to practice offhand at the 600 yard plate.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i learned to shoot using a sling. i always look for a tree to brace myself against when shooting game. if, there isn't a tree, i drop to one knee and brace my elbow against it. try shooting with and without a sling, see which one works the best for you.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have been using a sling, in the offhand position, most of my life, and for me anyway, I know it helps, even though I have read many times by the experts that it doesn't help, but for me, it does, not that I can't do pretty good without it, but I do think it has made the difference on several shots I have taken in the field.
NRA Life Member, Patron
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I use a tight sling when shooting offhand and it makes a big difference to me, especially past 100 yards. I have the sling over the top of my wrist and under my elbow. I find the gun is tight into my shoulder and the muzzle movement is minimized using the sling like this.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

use the sling it dose help the old boys had it right
use the sling when ever I can ether hasty or delibrate can consitently
hit 10"x8" steel plate at 700yrds this way(scoped rifle)
.Dave
Last edited by dbateman on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't use a sling to shoot while hunting. My deer rifle is one of the early Ruger M77 MK II all-weather (stainless with lightweight Zytel stock.) it doesn't take much pressure on the sling to move the forearm and cause it to contact the barrel, changing the POI. When I first got the rifle I had to float the barrel to improve accuracy, then I had to learn to keep my hand farther back under the receiver.
I only shoot offhand when hunting if I have no other choice.
With a rifle that has a good, stout one-piece stock, a sling can help. But if the sling attaches to the barrel and there is any give whatsoever, inconsistent pressure will cause varying points of impact.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I used a sling to kill a deer at about 170 yards this year. I would normally take a rest but the lay of the ground wouldn't allow it. IMO the sling made the difference.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

When I was in the Marine Corp we were always using the sling to shoot off hand. We actually used it in all firing posistions.
I really hated using that sling. It was actually more like a tourniquet. That thing would make your arm go numb in about 30 seconds flat.
It really did make a difference though. Imagine shooting man size targets at 200 yds offhand, body shoots every time :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

That pic by COSTEVE is exactly what type of sling mount the Marine Corp's used to use to train new recruits.
Works very well.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

86er wrote:I use a tight sling when shooting offhand and it makes a big difference to me, especially past 100 yards. I have the sling over the top of my wrist and under my elbow. I find the gun is tight into my shoulder and the muzzle movement is minimized using the sling like this.
I started using the sling that way too but felt that it tended to pull the rifle to the left. That's when I reversed the sling and started using it this way because it doesn't put any pressure on the barrel (as is clearly visible).
Steve
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I only use offhand at muzzle contact distances, and for that a sling is not needed. :lol:

Seriously, I've learned to avoid offhand at all costs for anything but punching holes in paper. There's always a better option. I suppose one could get good enough at it to make it a useful position, but it would take more work than I'm willing to invest, just to get something of dubious benefit.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

PaulB wrote:I only use offhand at muzzle contact distances, and for that a sling is not needed. :lol:

Seriously, I've learned to avoid offhand at all costs for anything but punching holes in paper. There's always a better option. I suppose one could get good enough at it to make it a useful position, but it would take more work than I'm willing to invest, just to get something of dubious benefit.
Shooting offhand isn't serious. I teach Marines to shoot offhand @ 200 yards it only takes 5 minutes of instruction to get them in the black. If you want to be in the 10" ring it just takes a few rounds of practice. It is all about form.

Here are a couple of pics I took while coaching on the range they are shooting the way I told them both shot 3 out of 5 in the X ring for the first time ever.
This young Sgt shot expert for the first time on this range session after I told him the right way.

COSteve here is how we use the sling. It is attached to the bicep in the same way that you do but goes around the wrist the other way and is drawn tight to the point of the loss of feeling in the non firing hand.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I know, they taught me that in the Army back in 1967. Sorry to tell you that it wasn't effective then and isn't effective now. I shot expert in basic because I switched to my way, not because I followed theirs.
Steve
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If I were to compete and a sling was allowed I'd use it. When I went through USMC boot a sling was used and I can say it helped me immensely. Especially out to the 500 meter line. When I went through countersniper training we used the sling and again, I'd use it if I needed to. I do believe any time you can stabilize your platform you're going to be more consistent. And, if you have a sling it's always there.

Hunting, target practicing and in general I don't use it. I'll try and find a support if shooting offhand or go to kneeling. Prone preferred if I have the time.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If using asling makes you think you're steadier, it helps. I found the AR doesn't lend itself well to the sling... If the slign's tight enough to feel effective, any little tremor in my off arm is transmitted to the barrel... with the M-1 or M-14 the sling is a huge help.

No pics avail, or even a sling to take any, but... I use sling even with my mdl 94s. Mainly to help hold my supporting elbow tight to my chest. This way I gain that "bone-to-bone" support that you get with kneeling or sitting. Sling tension on my wrist aids "MY" form, enough to distort the forend would be too much. My sling is attached to either the mag tube or to the forend cap on my mdl 64A. If they go into the 10 ring off a rest, they at least go into the black with the sling. Never found that the sling has made my shooting worse.

But, as they say, "YMMV." :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Was watching a show the other day on (I think) the Military Channel. On it they said that a sling was pretty well worthless for offhand shooting. IIRC they said for a sling to do any good the elbow must be supported at a minimum. Now this goes against everything I have read or been taught and I strive to always use a sling. I will admit that I don't notice much improvement at the range with one though.

What say you?

LK

Well,... I think the above mentioned show is relating an individual's, or, a minority of opinions on the use of a sling.

Sometimes when these things come out, I just can't help thinking it is some sort of a plot to make Americans shoot worse, not better. Kinda like the promotion of handguns/calibers that can't penetrate level 1 Kevlar vests, smaller calibers that wound rather than break bones, or hollow points that flatten against vests or are designed to not exit and create two holes to bleed out from.

It just seems to be a systematic effort that leans in a direction I find more dangerous to my health, than helpful.

Not that everyone can improve with a sling,... but, I believe the majority can!

Old school?

Maybe.

But some things are just tried and true and a sling works for me when I have one.