OT- First new gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- First new gun

Post by Andrew »

Today I was finally able to go pick up my first new gun. It's a Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry model in .380ACP. I did a lot of reading and thinking about what would suit me and my needs and this little guy kept coming out on the top of the list every time. I plopped out in the driveway for a quick pick of it while it still looks perfect. As you can see I have a small pile of different ammo to try in it(more on the way) and I also have dies and some components for some load testing as well. Time to do the happy dance. :D

ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT- First new gun

Post by J Miller »

Andrew,

Congrats on the "first new gun". It's always a milestone when you get there. 450 rounds of ammo too. Just remember, put down a tarp or clean out an area so you can recover that brass. From what I've read 380 brass and ammo is kinda hard to come by in certain areas.

My "first new gun" was a Colt Peacemaker .22 Convertible. No pics of it and I wish I still had it.

Enjoy your new shooter and don't forget the range report.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Aside from BB and pellet rifles, my first new one was a Mossburg 12ga pump with a PolyChoke....I forget if those were 500s way back then, or not...this would have been about 1965, IIRC.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yer gonna love it. I was an early adopter of the Bersa Thunder .380 when it came out. I own and have owned a lot of guns, but this is the ONLY semi I have complete faith it. It has never so much as threatened to hiccup. When ya get geared up, I strongly urge you to get a can of Power Pistol, some 93gr LRN (practice) bullets, and 90gr XTPs. 4.6 grains will do ya fine. Mine ran the lead practice rounds into about 3" at 25 YARDS and nicely centered around POA (yep, even with lousy eyes and tiny sights) laying more or less prone over a dirt mound, elbows rested on a rolled up jacket.
The only caution I can offer is stick to genuine BERSA mags. the aftermarket ones suck.
Certified gun nut
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice and all that ammo, good for you, enjoy. I like the photo :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Argentines make excellent pistols!

We got my Mother a Bersa .380 a couple years ago. I ran a case
of .380s through it with out a single malfunction.
I also have a couple of their .45 System 27s. One is the most accurate
.45acp I've ever owned!!

Have fun!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Andrew,

You're going to love that little piece. I have one and
it has proven ultra reliable and accurate too. Ammo for it is scarce
around here so I have been reloading. Darn cheap that way too. :D

Spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I would have had a range report today but the shop wasn't able to get through to do the background/registration so I had to leave it there while I did some other errands which took up too much of the day. Hopefully in the next few days I will get the chance to punch some paper and report back. I have another 200 rounds of ammo coming in the mail along with 1000 100gr FMJ bullets; my dies are already here. I have no powder nor small pistol primers but I might be able to remedy that with a trip to Bass Pro.
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Looks like a winner to me! Congrats :)

Also,for myself I like the idea of a safe(when one is racked in chamber)guess its just my own insecurity??
I would carry that for CCW no doubt.It looks rugged and the style is cool! Good Job!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Seriously, where did you get all that .380 ACP ammo? It is nowhere to be found down here.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Seriously, where did you get all that .380 ACP ammo? It is nowhere to be found down here.
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-f ... Path/25_29
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.380_ACP

I found some at J&G Sales, Ammunition To Go and the others on Gun Broker. There is none to be found around here either. I wasn't able to find any reasonably priced small pistol primers or powder at my local haunts to boot.
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats Andrew! Is .380 ACP ammo still hard to come by in your neck of the woods?