powder for 45lc??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

powder for 45lc??

Post by dbateman »

ok so I have 100 unprimed starline cases 300 large rifle primers
and 400 cast 255gr prjectiles need some powder would like to also
load shells for my 30-30 with the same powder is that possable
if not just need to no good powder for the colt
wouldnt leet me post bigger pics?
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: powder for 45lc??

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have used from 11.5 to 15.7 grs of HS7 behind 255 gr LFN Lee cast boolit. Nice thump to shoulder. Safe in my gun. WORK up to in yours. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Also keep in mind Starline is tough brass, if you get blowby or discolored brass its normal.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

thanks 3leg looked pretty hard for that starline brass spos to be the best brass you can get?
keep the blow by in mind
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

It is w'out doubt. But less than top loads it dont seal. i only resize 3/8ths inch of case mouth after 4 loads stil chambers easily :)

Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Mr. Bateman,

Any particular reason you're using large rifle primers in a revovler case????

I've been handloading for the .45 Colt since ..... oh ..... 1973, and have never used a rifle primer in them. I've used a standard pistol primer with Bullseye and a 200 grain swc for plinkers, on up to mag pistol primers, 255 grain Keith style cast, and WW 296 for "flame throwers". Today I'm experimenting with Hodgdon's Lil Gun and 280 grain WFN bullet from Beartooth, looking for 1400 fps, and the recommended primer is a standard pistol primer.

Be really careful with rifle primers in your Colt cases !!!!! :o
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

Lobo
large rifle primers are all i can get at the moment (Im in Mt isa Au)
could get some large pistol primers
ok here is the dumb qustion why cant you use rifle primers in 45lc ?

I can all ways use them in 30-30 or 308 when i get some dies
Dave Bateman .

tankusaz
Levergunner

Post by tankusaz »

I have used 8 gr. Unique and a 454424 Keith w/w cast bullet in several 45s and my 454s. Accurate and pleasant to plink with..... Steve
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Large rifle primers are a little taller. The primer pocket is swaged deeper in rifle cases to allow for this. If you use LRP as opposed to LPP, you have to crush the primer to get them flush with the case and can get inconsistent ignition. If seated to the right depth for the primer, they can bind the cylinders after firing in revolvers and slam fire in autos. Both scenarios are not common but can happen. I've seen both.

Small pistol and small rifle primers are the same dimensions.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

oh think i better go find me some pistol primers
thanks Buffboy
Dave Bateman .

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I like 7.1 grains of W231 with 255 grain bullets for a soft shooting, accurate .45 Colt factory duplication load. I used W296 (H110) for Ruger Only loads, but several other powders will work for them. I haven't used rifle primers in pistol cases myself, but know at least one reloader who has and he is still with us.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

2400 will work nicely in both the .45Colt and the .30-30.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bluedot, unique, and 2400 all work pretty well in the 45 colt and the 30-30. aa5744 also works great in the 30-30 but only mediocre in the 45 colt.
If you can't get the large pistol primers try the large rifles.(the 30-30 needs them anyway) I've had some good results using large rifle primers in the 45 colt.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AA5744 works good in 45 & 30-30 ,17.8 grs for 45 for standard load using 255 bullet. In 30-30 I run 173 gr on top of 22 grains of 5744. I have also made up some hotloads for the 45 with 255's with 22.5 grs. danny
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used VV N110 with the 250 grain bullets. It might work for the lead 255 gr ones. I load with the VV N110 for a lower pressure slower load for my Dad to use in a derringer. He thinks the regular factory loads kick a bit much in a derringer, and he might be right. Derringers are kind of small and don't absorb much of the recoil.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

dbateman wrote:ok so I have 100 unprimed starline cases 300 large rifle primers
and 400 cast 255gr prjectiles need some powder would like to also
load shells for my 30-30 with the same powder is that possable
if not just need to no good powder for the colt
wouldnt leet me post bigger pics?
100 brand new starline cases .... why so few? Just teasing :wink: . Good choice for medium to heavy loads, but I don't like them for light loads.

I've tried LR primers in .45 Colt cases. I could not apply enough force to seat them even flush. I'd really suggest getting some LP primers and saving the LR for your 30-30.

For your 255gr bullets I'd suggest 231 or Unique for standard to medium loads and 2400 for heavy loads. I've used many different powders but I keep coming back to those three.

Of those Unique and maybe 2400 will also work in your 30-30 if you're using cast bullets. I don't know if it will work good with jacketed bullets or not.

Just added this: I've had totally unacceptably miserable results with Accurate 5744 in the .45 Colt. I followed not only the load data from the Accurate site but others load data as well, and suggestions by Don McDowell and never could get the stuff to burn even remotely good. I got so much unburned powder it literally fouled the actions of my S&W 25-5 and my lever guns. Matter of fact as I ejected the empties from my 94AE Trapper the unburned kernels would sprinkle all over my face. Finally with the last 50 rounds worth I tried CCI 350 LP magnum primers and got a fairly decent burn. I would not recommend that powder for anything but fertilizing the garden.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Another vote for 5744.
5744 works great for .45 Colt and should for .30-30.

I use the Lyman 454424 as well with 16.0 grains and it is a good plinking load.

Accurate .45 Colt

I've not (yet) used the .30-30 load, but plan to with the 173 gr Lyman.
Accurate .30 WCF

Of course, I use it because I buy it 8 to 16 pounds at a time for my BPCR guns and always have it on hand. Reduces my stock that way. 5744 is more expensive than other powders and takes more charge weight than other powders, so it's not the most economical way to go if you have a choice. It is bulky, so it makes it easier for me to get consistent charge weights for good accuracy results and reduces the chance of a double charge.

I also use 19.7 gr under a 50 gr V-Max in my .223 for p-dogs and it works great.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I suggest going with separate powders for each caliber otherwise you will end up with a poor compromise for both...

I suggest W231 for a good standard level powder (HP38 is the same) or Unique.

You could use this pistol powder if you intend on loading cast bullets in your 30-30 and would like around 1500 fps.

Otherwise, I recommend another Winchester powder- W748 for the 30-30. IMR 3031 is also an excellent 30-30 powder.

My favorite 45 Colt load is 250 grain cast boolits over a charge of 7.0 grains of W231 for a velocity of 800 fps out of a 4.75" revolver.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Can't help with 30-30, but for .45C here's a few that are safe in my gun--YMMV in your gun

CCI Large Pistol Primers and Starline brass and Lee 255TL cast wheel weight sized to .452

11.2 grains of Accurate #5 (most accurate)
9.0 grains Universal
7.1 grains Red Dot
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

ok guys got some large pistil primers on the way be here in 2-3 weeks
Last edited by dbateman on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Bateman .

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

piller wrote:I have used VV N110 with the 250 grain bullets. It might work for the lead 255 gr ones. I load with the VV N110 for a lower pressure slower load for my Dad to use in a derringer. He thinks the regular factory loads kick a bit much in a derringer, and he might be right. Derringers are kind of small and don't absorb much of the recoil.
Piller,
Is N110 still available? I love using it in 357 and 44 mag loads. I haven't been able to find any in over 2 years.

David
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

H-4198...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Buck Elliott wrote:H-4198...
Buck,

care to share some 45C loads using H4198, or point me to some refrerences?

thanks,

Rimrock
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That is an interesting idea Buck. I'd like to know more as well!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Buck and Paco both been talking about using 4198 in the 45 for years. I like it alot in rifle loads,good accuracy out to 250 yds, but there's better stuff to use in a handgun me thinks.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I use small rifle primers in my .357 and never had a problem. I came to the conclusion that it may be a pistol cartridge but I'm feeding it into a rifle, and rifle primers are a bit cheaper here in Perth. As to powder, you could also look at ADI AP70 or AP100 or if you can find a load for it 2205 although if the 45 is anything like the 357 you will find 2400 gives better velocity for less powder than 2205 does. It all depends on what you want out of your load. You can forget about the Hodgdon powders as I don't think anyone is importing them to Oz.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Don, I agree with you totally. But the original post was asking for a powder for both pistol and rifle cartridges in general IIRC. In order to do that, compromises will have to be made but its doable.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I use small rifle primer in my 32-20 and 357 Max , just remember the cups are heavy to hold the higher PSI of rifles and don't show high PSI sign in a pistol till it is way over normal PSI reading if you are reading primers pressures ...
Image..Image
Image......Image
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tutt. I found that if you work up a load with powder x in your hogleg, then transfer those loads into your rifle, they'll work just as good, but give higher velocity.
As I recall both Paco and Buck liked 4198 in both thundersticks. :) I just happen like like other powders a bit more gooder for dual purpose.
Can tell you for certain that 4064 in the 45 colt will get you a bit over 1100 fps from the rifle but will hurl still burning and unburnt powder kernels thru the plastic over the read out on a shooting chrony :shock: :lol: :lol: Powders slower than 4198 may not be so whippy in the colt....... :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Powders slower than 4198 may not be so whippy in the colt.......
Yes, I would expect so!!!! While I did initially and supposedly take up handloading for the cost benefits, in the end it really didn't save me much as I was simply way too interested in finding the perfect load for a hand gun or rifle. Still, money very well spent!!!!

-Tutt

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Well remember we use the "cost savings" as a rationalization to justify the rooms full of stuff..... :mrgreen:
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wow I haven't been around for a wile thanks for all the good info guy's
. Dave
Dave Bateman .

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I use 7.8 grs. of Unique for my Colt SAA's and Marlin 94. Just because it was the most accurate of my load testing for the SAA's. The Marlin doesn't seem to mind them either. I have no information on reloading the 30-30 as I haven't ever reloaded for it. :oops:
Old Law Dawg
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Small pistol and small rifle primers share the same external dimensions. Large rifle however are generally four to six thousanths of an inch taller than large pistol. This may or may not cause a problem. A slam fire being one of those potential problems though, and those are nothing to play with.

A powder for both cartridges - there's a ton that could serve. Universal Clays comes to mind along with 2400.

Good luck.

Cat