45 COLT bullets - 200 gr LRNFP and 230 gr. HP/XTP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

45 COLT bullets - 200 gr LRNFP and 230 gr. HP/XTP

Post by Topside »

Evening fellers, hope nobody took a fine sight on any bunnies today! I'm reloading for my Marlin 1894 and Ruger Blackhawk both in 45 Colt using new or once fired Starline brass and Win. WLP primers. Please tell me if the pictured XTP bullet, not having a cannelure, is suitable for loading for the mentioned firearms or should it only be used for .45 ACP?

Also, I've been loading the LRNFP pictured on left (wish I'd bought heavier than 200 gr.) using Trail Boss and Unique. Could you suggest any loads for either of the pictured bullets using Alliant 2400? I have a fair amount of this powder. Am most intersted in a load that's comfortable to shoot but won't leave too much unburned powder. Many thanks.

T. Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:15 PM EST

ImageImage
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: 45 COLT bullets - 200 gr LRNFP and 230 gr. HP/XTP

Post by adirondakjack »

I've used that XTP in leverguns with no issues. Load em so the case mouth is just behind the shoulder and apply a firm roll crimp right into the side of the bullet. it's a little rough on brass, but they will NOT set back in the magazine. I ran 2400 with the heavier 250 bullet, doing wel with 20 to 21.5 grains. I would think the 21.5 grains would be a fine load with the 230 as well. Not extreme top end, but enough... the 200 might need a tad more. Load a round or two and see....

if that don't work, use good ole Unique with the 200 lead bullet. About 12 grains would do the trick.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Topside wrote:Evening fellers, hope nobody took a fine sight on any bunnies today! I'm reloading for my Marlin 1894 and Ruger Blackhawk both in 45 Colt using new or once fired Starline brass and Win. WLP primers. Please tell me if the pictured XTP bullet, not having a cannelure, is suitable for loading for the mentioned firearms or should it only be used for .45 ACP?

Also, I've been loading the LRNFP pictured on left (wish I'd bought heavier than 200 gr.) using Trail Boss and Unique. Could you suggest any loads for either of the pictured bullets using Alliant 2400? I have a fair amount of this powder. Am most intersted in a load that's comfortable to shoot but won't leave too much unburned powder. Many thanks.

T. Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:15 PM EST

ImageImage
Topside,
Unique is probably your best choice for those 200gr bullets. 2400 is too slow for them. Yes it can be used, but unless you really load it hot you'll end up with a lot of unburned powder. 2400 has a sweet spot and I doubt you can reach that with normal pressure loads and a 200gr bullet.
Try 8.0 grains of Unique. That will be a moderate powder load.

For the ACP bullets I just load them using my ACP expander and then taper crimp them. I've loaded them pretty smoking hot and never had them jump the crimp. The trick though is a really tight neck tension.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Jack & Joe. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.
Whoops, must have hit the button twice.

T.
Last edited by Topside on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Jack & Joe. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.

T.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

+1 on Joe's advice. I have also noted that 2400, H110, and W296 all give better results when working at near maximum loads. They are a little slower burning and as Joe said they give a lot of unburned powder at lower end loadings. I did notice that the XTP bullets were the .451 which is generally intended for use in the .45 ACP. The typical bullet for the .45 Colt is in .452 diameter. While this is not very much of a difference, if the barrel of your firearm is a little on the large size, as some rifles have been as several threads here on Leverguns have mentioned (seems that I recall they were mostly made by Rossi), then accuracy may suffer. Having a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a spare .45 ACP cylinder, my barrel seems to be on the tight side and shoots great with whatever I feed it, in fact it is more accurate than I will ever be. Even if your rifle doesn't like the XTP bullets, your Ruger probably will, but I would try them in the rifle anyway. Hopefully you will be pleased with the results.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

piller wrote:+1 on Joe's advice. I have also noted that 2400, H110, and W296 all give better results when working at near maximum loads. They are a little slower burning and as Joe said they give a lot of unburned powder at lower end loadings. I did notice that the XTP bullets were the .451 which is generally intended for use in the .45 ACP. The typical bullet for the .45 Colt is in .452 diameter. While this is not very much of a difference, if the barrel of your firearm is a little on the large size, as some rifles have been as several threads here on Leverguns have mentioned (seems that I recall they were mostly made by Rossi), then accuracy may suffer. Having a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a spare .45 ACP cylinder, my barrel seems to be on the tight side and shoots great with whatever I feed it, in fact it is more accurate than I will ever be. Even if your rifle doesn't like the XTP bullets, your Ruger probably will, but I would try them in the rifle anyway. Hopefully you will be pleased with the results.
Yeah I wish I'd waited on a Blackhawk with the extra ACP cyl., expecially since I already load for my Colt series 70 acp., but nooooo. I was in a hurry to have the 45 Colt cal. so I went ahead and bought one without. Suppose I wanted to add the ACP cylinder now........would it require sending my Blackhawk to Ruger for fitting? Your comments on bullet/bore diameter are noted.

THANKS,

Topside.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

A few years ago I got a super deal on 500 Montana Gold .451" 230gr bullets I happily loaded up 300 of them and headed to the range for some cheap practice with my two 5.5" Ruger Bisley Vaquero's in 45-Colt.

I had nothing but problems the bullets would not seal the bore so I had the lowest velocities, brass when extracted were completely black so were the cylinders.

Still have several hundred of these loaded bullets left haven't found the time to pull them apart yet.

I will never load them or recommend anyone ever loads them in 45 Colt.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Lead bullets are generally .452. Jacketed are generally .451. They work.
Certified gun nut
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you know a competent gunsmith, you can buy an extra cylinder from Brownell's and have it drilled and timed to your pistol. I would check around for where the best place in your area seems to be. If I needed pistol work, I would send it to Dury's gun shop in San Antonio. They were recommended by 86er and a friend sent some Smith &Wesson pistols there for a spring job. The work was top quality. I live in Texas, so someone in Texas would be my choice for convenience.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Topside,

Regardless of what powder you ultimately decide on, those bullets will be leaving your rifle MUCH faster than your Ruger. It's nice that Hornady claims a "..controlled expansion over a wide range of velocities." I tend to doubt they mean THAT WIDE A RANGE.

I know it means having MORE than just one bullet in inventory; but, as with powders, no one projectile can meet all potential needs.

In my Rossi .45Colt Short Rifle I load 4 different bullets, for 3 different needs. 1) fer cowboy shooting I load a 200 LRFN that's near the twin of the one you show. 2) for defensive purposes & light weight, thin-slinned game I prefer Speer's 200grain HP (#4478 Gold Dot). It also lacks a cannelure, unlike its predecessor, but with a good crimp and the .45ACP level loads, I've not had any setback into the case. 3) for heavier game I have some Speer 250 JHP (#4481) and some Hornady 250 grainers (#45200), these appear similiar and if I were industrious I'd do some penetration tests in wet phonebooks. 4) the last bullet is also the only .45 Colt load I make that can't also be loaded in my Colt SAAs or 1860 & 1873 rifles. It's the Hornady 240grain XTP MAG (@45220). Again, not a bullet I've had the opportunity to test... but as its designed for the high performance handgun cartridges, I'm hopeful it'll hold together at the velocities I can get in the 20" barrelled Rossi!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have used the 230 gr XTP out of a Ruger Bisley and been very pleased with its performance (wet newspaper, one doe & one hog). I used Win 231 & Win 296. Also Accurate #9 if I recall correctly.

If I was using a lever action like you I would buy one of those reloading bench fixtures that allows you to impress a cannelure on the side of the bullet just so they did not tend to slide deeper into the case and raise pressure.

In fact if someone knows who and where they offer those fixtures for sale I would appreciate them posting it. I've seen them on other's benches and in magazine articles in the past but not lately.

Wm
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

wm wrote:In fact if someone knows who and where they offer those fixtures for sale I would appreciate them posting it. I've seen them on other's benches and in magazine articles in the past but not lately.
Wm
Try: http://www.corbins.com/hct-1.htm
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

I agree that Unique is possibly best for the 200 cast, BUT, I WOULD STILL TRY 2400 BECAUSE
In the .44-40, 15 grs. /2400 works really, really well...better accuracy wise than any Unique load I have ever tried!
Velocity runs 1,300 f.p.s., no leading , and fine accuracy. :D

Now, the .45 colt has a little more room in the case and a larger bore, but it would definitely be worth a go.
I'd suggest 16 grs. with the 200 cast.

Have fun!
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Thanks to everybody for all your help. It's much appreciated.

T.