OT MANNLICHER CARBINE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

OT MANNLICHER CARBINE

Post by barbarossa »

A chance has come up to but this, a 1903 Mannlicher carbine in 6.5x54 price is$1600 canadian
I was thinking for using it for vintage deer and coyote hunting what do you think.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT MANNLICHER CARBINE

Post by awp101 »

Nice looking carbine! How big do those vintage deer get in your area? :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

:o For gosh sakes, don't tell me where it is! I've lusted in my heart for this carbine, well, forever. Price seems inline for what I've seen on the net.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

What a shame that a beautiful country like Canada must bear the burden of having such an ugly stick within its borders. Feel free to ship it south for discrete and proper disposal... :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Oh my gosh... That just gets to me...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun makes my heart beat faster :P
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well they say it's wrong to covet, so I'll just say that I wish I had that one and you had a better one.

I think I'm going to end up with a M77 Ruger International one of these days.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Margaret used one of those on Francis
http://www.duke.edu/~ss57/macomber.pdf
not a very good choice for lions

beautiful rifle - congratulations.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

That sure is pretty. If one has the means, then by all means! I truly hope you grab it. 1886.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

bulldog1935 wrote:Margaret used one of those on Francis
http://www.duke.edu/~ss57/macomber.pdf
not a very good choice for lions

beautiful rifle - congratulations.
Thanks for the link! I thought of Hemingway when I saw the word Mannlicher!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

from what i read, no first hand expierence :x , it's a heck of a game killing machine. i think the long ,heavy bullets took elephants in afica, :?: the swede's still like it for moose. guess it would have been too much of an all around package and would hurt new caliber sales
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[what do you think]

Instead of what I think, please let me tell you what I KNOW - Once you buy it, it will never leave your hands. :P :P :P

The machining of the magazine box to the receiver, and the way it glides smoothly in/out, is "something else".

I owned one similar to that, but with the front receiver ring cut for the front half of a European-type scope mont base (on the rifle), of the type where the rings are soldered to the scope bell.

The scope & rear mount were missing (of course) - until I ran across an acquaintance who had a scope setup, and was looking to buy a scopeless rifle.

Both of us wanted to buy the other's item, and were at an impasse' - until we agreed to cut cards for dibbs.
He won, so I sold him the rifle for $2K (10 years ago), but have since replaced the chambering with another 6.5x55 (a Winchester FW).

Believe me, when I tell you, you WILL hate yourself if you pass on that rifle !

dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

CZ produces several Mannlicher stock rifles including the 550FS in 6.5x55.

They're gorgeous and is on my want list.

For more details:
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice looking rifles, both of them.
Old Law Dawg
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

There is NOTHING like one of the original Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines. They are truly made as well as Mercedes would like you to THINK they make their cars!! The machining,
fit, finish, etc. are off-the-charts superb. They also are not at all plentiful, and many have been beat up/butchered, so good specimens at a fair price are not easy to come by.

I've had the pleasure of shooting a 1903 carbine in 6.5x54 (with double-set triggers) and accuracy was excellent using Hornady's 160 gr. RNSP. It also had virtually no recoil... truly amazing. On paper, recoil "should" be about like a .30-30 Win. 94 -- basically same powder charge, essentially same bullet weight/velocity, but it was extremely mild -- like shooting a big .22. I dropped a sprinting wild hog with its ballistic twin, shot through the shoulder, and it fell instantly at the shot -- its chin dug a trench in the dirt. It literally didn't take another volitional step, just skidded to a halt. I still remember seeing the 2-3 foot dust plume kick up behind the hog and thinking "What the...??" as I didn't expect the slow, slender bullet to drop him like that. (About a 150 lb. boar.) Exit wound was small, but the pig didn't like it one little bit -- it expired like it was hit by lightning.

There is one little trick to loading for the original Mannlicher Schoenauers with the rotary
box mag that you need to know, if you will be handloading. The cartridges MUST be loaded
to correct (i.e., full) length or they will NOT feed from the magazine, as the bullet nose is what starts the process of camming the round out of the magazine. Due to the design of the magazine/feed ramp, if the cartridge is too short, you can push till the cows come home, and that round ain't going to exit the magazine. This is not a problem in my (limited) experience, but knowing about it will prevent some head scratching when you establish your cartridge OAL.

I hope you'll consider getting it. They are a rare treat in the firearms world, indeed!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Even without a lever that is a BEAUTIFUL rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Once had a MS in .243. It did not have the full stock. I currently have a Model 7 MS in .350 as a second best because I have never been able to find a good MS carbine chambered for a 'classic' calibre- for some reason most carbines imported down under were in .270- a poor choice calibre for a short carbine because of velocity loss and blast.

I would love to get my hands on a gun like yours.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

get it get it get it
----- Doug
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Very, very nice!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

You can still buy a lot of meat for $1,600s! Not quite as much fun though, I guess!
Harry O
Levergunner

Post by Harry O »

I have an original 1910 M-S in 9.5x57 caliber. It has the "swinging" peepsight. The rifle is the quickest handling rifle I have ever handled. It is light and well balanced. The sights are outstanding. The front sight is a german silver bead that makes the best use of any light available. The original rear sight is a "wide-V" 2-position folding sight. It is very easy to align for quick shots. However, it does not work well trying to shoot slow and accurately. It is too coarse for that. The swinging peep takes care of that problem, though. The only problem I have with it is that the 9.5x57 (270gr bullet at 2,150fps) in a 6-1/4lb rifle does kick. Now that I am taking blood thinners, every time I shoot it my shoulder is black and blue for a couple of weeks. The 6.5mm would be much better in that respect. As far as the price goes, I can't believe how much they go for now, but EVERYTHING that shoots is getting expensive.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Oh the angst this thread has caused me! :lol:

I came back to this thread at least three times yesterday and last night finally started looking around to see what's available.

Found a late-60s MCA in 7x57 for $750. Almost instantly I started mentally sorting the safe and projects. I decided it would take the place of a current project and at least one other semi-safe queen.

Went back this morning to get the stock number and contact the seller only to find it was already gone. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth...

Dang it! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Post by CarlsenHighway »

Guys I just bought one myself only last week! - buy it, you will not regret it. One of the most charming rifles you will ever meet, and the action and magazine is an engineering marvel. I have an old Lyman scope on mine with 1950's swing around detachable scope mounts....and without the scope they are wonderfully balanced little carbines, a real joy to shoot over open sights.

(The earlier poster is right - if you hand load you have to seat them to the magazine - but load the WHOLE mag to check - because the first two will go in fine but its after that that they jam if theyre too long...had to take the mag out and examine it to found that out.)
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I have an older Sako Mannlicher in .308. The styling is soooooo sexy! You should grab that M/S before someone else does.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Went back this morning to get the stock number and contact the seller only to find it was already gone.]

Yep - That's what usually happens, about 99% of the times a diamond isn't "jumped on" , when found. :mrgreen:

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've liked those since I saw a photo of one back about 40 years ago. You should probably get it, as I'm sure you will kick yourself royally for many years to come if you don't.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:[Went back this morning to get the stock number and contact the seller only to find it was already gone.]

Yep - That's what usually happens, about 99% of the times a diamond isn't "jumped on" , when found. :mrgreen:

AFAIK, this one was an absolute STEAL at that price:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... tid=108594

I found one locally for about $600 but it's been messed with quite a bit. It's had a recoil pad added, the stock doesn't run the full length and the only (proper) scope mounts I've found are $450! :shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
tdoor
Levergunner

Post by tdoor »

John in MS wrote:There is NOTHING like one of the original Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines. They are truly made as well as Mercedes would like you to THINK they make their cars!! The machining,
fit, finish, etc. are off-the-charts superb. They also are not at all plentiful, and many have been beat up/butchered, so good specimens at a fair price are not easy to come by.

I've had the pleasure of shooting a 1903 carbine in 6.5x54 (with double-set triggers) and accuracy was excellent using Hornady's 160 gr. RNSP. It also had virtually no recoil... truly amazing. On paper, recoil "should" be about like a .30-30 Win. 94 -- basically same powder charge, essentially same bullet weight/velocity, but it was extremely mild -- like shooting a big .22. I dropped a sprinting wild hog with its ballistic twin, shot through the shoulder, and it fell instantly at the shot -- its chin dug a trench in the dirt. It literally didn't take another volitional step, just skidded to a halt. I still remember seeing the 2-3 foot dust plume kick up behind the hog and thinking "What the...??" as I didn't expect the slow, slender bullet to drop him like that. (About a 150 lb. boar.) Exit wound was small, but the pig didn't like it one little bit -- it expired like it was hit by lightning.

There is one little trick to loading for the original Mannlicher Schoenauers with the rotary
box mag that you need to know, if you will be handloading. The cartridges MUST be loaded
to correct (i.e., full) length or they will NOT feed from the magazine, as the bullet nose is what starts the process of camming the round out of the magazine. Due to the design of the magazine/feed ramp, if the cartridge is too short, you can push till the cows come home, and that round ain't going to exit the magazine. This is not a problem in my (limited) experience, but knowing about it will prevent some head scratching when you establish your cartridge OAL.
Good point about care in loading the rotary magazine. I have also found that I cannot use neck sizing only die (my thought was to help preserve relatively scarce 6x54 brass). At least in my case, the expansion at the shoulder was just enough to preclude using the rotary magazine, even though the load was modest and the rounds chambered fine, so now full length resize, no problems. Great guns, love to carry them.
tdoor
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I found one locally for about $600 but it's been messed with quite a bit. It's had a recoil pad added, the stock doesn't run the full length and the only (proper) scope mounts I've found are $450! ]

It's still a good buy.

The recoil pad is an EZ fix, even with a cut stock,

FWIW, M-S also made half-stock "rifles" ILO full stock carbines.

I'd peep it, but unless EAW European claw mounts are wanted, Leupold/Redfield/Burris turn-in scope mounts aren't a big deal, either ($165).

http://msbases.wattswalnut.com/

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

pete, it turns out the one I saw is most likely a sporterized Greek 1903 military rifle. It's had a dovetail cut in the front ring and filled/rewelded later.

I'll just have to think long and hard on that one...

Thanks for the lead on the mounts!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Very nice rifle!
I just saw some ammo for it last weekend at the gun show some old 6.5x54 C.I.L 160gr sp for only $22.00 a box seller had three boxes, I was looking for 6.5x55 so I was outa luck.
I always wanted a M,S in 6.5x54 one day- one day if the wife will allow it that is. :lol:
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Still waiting to hear back from the seller but here are some more pics.The only thing that I can see is that the front swivel is missing

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

...and what happened to the double set triggers?

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Some were made with out double set triggers.Guns sent to england didn t have them as the Britsh preferred the single trigger.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Oh well, I still like them.

I looked at the one on the Cabelas web site. there's something strange about that thing. No iron sights for one thing but the lines of the rifle it's self are just wrong.

I've also been thinking about the full stocked CZ in .223. That would be pretty sweet too.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[/quote]AFAIK, this one was an absolute STEAL at that price:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... tid=108594[/quote]

Not quite a steal - more like "all the money".

When you first spoke of a M-S Carbine @ $750, I presumed it was all original, but in poor/bubba'd condition, as in an added pad/etc - and not the Cabela's 7x57 with the aftermarket stock and the sights gone, as in: either shaved off or rebarreled w/o sights.

Any M-S with a dovetail across the front receiver ring (welded/filled or not), means that the front scope base was removed because a scope ring, soldered to a scope obj bell, stayed with the scope, both getting somehow separated from the rifle.
In Europe, many owners carried those scopes in a separate padded tube, hung from a shoulder strap, and only placed/installed the scope atop the rifle after entering their hunting stand with their guide and told it's "OK".

348WCF
Levergunner

Post by 348WCF »

Barbarosa,
Get it!!!!!! You will not be sorry. I agree with the above posts about the quality and craftsmanship that went into the Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles. I am the proud owner of three original Mannlichers: 1952 carbine in 7x57mm, 1952 rifle in 30-06, and a 1961 in .358 Winchester. I would not trade any of them for anything.
If it's a slow day in the woods, you always can admire your rifle :D
Jim
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Deal has been sealed it is mine :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

CONGRATS ! ! ! - You won't be sorry.

I can't wait for the full range report, complete with pics of that beauty ! :P :P :P :P