Little Help---45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Little Help---45 Colt

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am looking for a gallery load I can shoot in my 45 Colt Low Wall. I will only be gong shooting at 50 yards off my front porch. I have a prretty good gallery load worked up for my 45-70. But I want to work one up for my 45 Colt. Anybody have a good Gallery load for a 45 Colt rifle?? The bullet will be a 255 grain-Keith style cast bullet from my RCBS mold. Thanks, Tom.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Little Help---45 Colt

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd recommend a light charge of Red Dot, Bullseye, Universal Clays, Tightgroup or W231 :P

Any of the cowboy action loads will work. 6.0 grians of W231 will give around 650 fps IIRC.

Why not try a round ball? If this is just for plinking, a round ball load would be just the ticket - again with a light charge of fast powder.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

OSOK-what size round ball would you recommend?? .454??

I use 4.0 grains of Red Dot for my 45-70 "gallery Load" with one round ball. It seems lke that load should work in a 45 Colt?? I am just looking for a little experience before I put a load together. Thanks, Tom.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yes, a .454" would be good - the bearing surface of the round balls is rather small and a little extra diameter in a swaged lead ball is good.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Gallery load ya say? Start with the bullet of choice and Cowboy .45 Special brass (reduced case capacity means more consistent burn at popgun levels) and a starting .45 ACP "Bullseye load" using Bullseye, 700X, red dot, or trail boss. You can use anything from a 160 grainer to a 265 and get good results. I recently built a rolling block for just tjhis kinda play toy, and with 4 grains TB and a 265 soft lead (RCBS .455 Webley mold) bullet it's a very mild tack driver....
Certified gun nut
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I can not remember the last time I bought a round ball or a cast bullet for that matter. I went to the Midway site to see how much a box of 100 Hornady round balls cost. The price was $13?? Wow!! Can you believe that. $13?? that is ridiculos. I guess it is time to buy a .454 used mold. Anybody have one?? Tom.
cassog
Levergunner

Post by cassog »

I've been getting fairly good results at an indoor range using 12g 2400 behind a 250 g cast swc in my Uberti 1873. Not too much Oooomph and fairly accurate - certainly plenty accurate enough for gong shooting. Have also tried 7.5 g Unique behind the same head with similar results.
I also plan on trying some Trail Boss loads, but won't have the luxury of using .45 special brass as Adirondakjack Jack suggests, as I do want the rounds to cycle through the action. (You obviously won't have that problem). So I guess my starting load for Trail Boss is going to be a little bit higher than 4g.

Anyway, have fun, and let us all know how you get on. Especially if you come up with a good non-ball load. Again, balls are a no-no for me because of the action. I might give them a try if we were talking about a Win '94 maybe, using single-shot drop-and-lever technique, but the '73 is a bitch to try and load in this way.

Take care.
Thees l'il thing? Ees for rabbits!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For roundball loads, I prefer the .457" diameter balls over the smaller sizes. They will swage down some, just loading them into a case. No, they don't work well in a '73, but they sure are fun in a SA revolver. I can shoot 'em in the shop with just a stack of newspapers for a backstop, when I load them over a CCI LP Magnum primer and NO powder...

Make NO mistake, such loads can still be VERY DANGEROUS to life and limb.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

+1 for RCBS 457!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I also found while loading some .311 RBs in my .30-30 that after you load the cases if you'll put about a drop of candle way on top of the ball it will act as a lube and help keep fouling problems to a minimum.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Gallery loads were the smallest lightest projectile available... Round Ball was the top choice.
A .454 round ball would be my starting place. 4 grains Unique. If you have real tight cylinder mouths you can remove the cylinder and with a fat wood dowel tap the RB through and then of course load it with the sized diameter touching the case. You can begin to reduce the Unique load .2 grains at a time until you stick a ball.. But less than 3 grains is real peaceful. BUT remember any 45 cal projectile will hurt whatever real bad.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

With 255gr cast bullets I started at 5grs(book recommended starting load) and settled on 3gr of hodgdon's titegroup in my 45 trapper. I went as low as 2gr but was scared of eventually sticking a bullet in the 16" barrel. 3grs is very mild but penetrated better than expected on phonebooks and quiet too. Wish I had a chrony to give some numbers.... Dave
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

FWIW in about a month I expect to bring to market a 120 grain HB .45 Bullet that will be the cat's meow for gallery loads, CAS, or just plinking. It's also VERY interesting on top a healthy load of Power Pistol out of a 1911 in ACP cases ;;)
Certified gun nut
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Since you're looking at casting... I suggest a Lee mold - they are very economical and work well for me.

Here's a two-cav 160 grain mold that would work well for your intended use...

or this would also be a good way to go - 200 rnfp - 6 holer:

These include the handles - or rather the two-cavs do - the 6 holers need handles to go with but they're very reasonbly priced too.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Anybody know where I can get 100 pieces of that 45 Special brass?? Thanks, Tom.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

If you use a RB, get some Lee liquid alox and thin it about 3/1 mineral spirits/LLA. Just put them in a ziplock bag with a little LLA and coat the RB's and then let dry (in garage because of the smell) for a day or so. IIRC, I used to shoot RB's in my Ruger BH 45acp with 2gr. of bullseye. Was a great frog load, they didn't jump in the pond with one of those things thru them.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

another vote for the 200Gr 6 hole mold.
I myself did this some time ago and I used Round balls. I cast a bunch of 454 round balls and rolled them in Lee's Alox and shot them with about 3.5Gr bullseye and I had great results . One bad thing was that My handguns didn't have enough front sight to sight them in. I was doing this to save lead and get a low report. Everything worked well with the rifle . A High wall would be just the ticket for Round ball. J.Michael
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Round ball .454 or .457 seated over 2 grains of B.E, in the case with a little grease smeared over the case mouth. Excellent 50 foot accuracy and litle noise or smoke.