New SAA Clone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

New SAA Clone

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New SAA Clone

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations! And, it looks great.

Been to Western and Wildlife Wonders. They don't live that far from me, about 70 miles.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Man, you got one heck of a deal. Nice lookin' piece!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: Outstanding. You stole it 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BlaineG wrote::mrgreen: Outstanding. You stole it 8)
I know and I almost feel guilty too.

BTW, while sitting here ogling, fondling, and introducing it to the fold, I found an article on GunBlast that shows how to take it apart and slick it up a bit. The action is a bit stiff and the trigger is on the heavy side (naturally) so I figured that there must be a 'slickup' kit for these suckers. Sure enough, I found one on Brownells; a Uberti Wire Shooters Spring Pak for $24. Has anyone tried it and is it worth the money?

I can't wait to get out to the range (hopefully tomorrow) and give it a go. It looks like the weather is cooperating. Now if I can only get out of some 'honey dos' my better half has scheduled for me. :lol:
Steve
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Congratulations!!! I am looking for the same kind of deal but in .45 Colt. Not in a hurry, as I have others to shoot, but I'd like one with a Cavalry-length barrel. Looks right at home with your levers!!! :D
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Nice! I'm keeping my own eyes open for something similar--but probably shorter-barrelled, in 44-40, with the same use in mind as you've got for this one.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Steve,

You did good. I like it.

Stamped on the right side of the cylinder frame under the opening is a small box with two letters in it, go here:
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/ ... fmarks.pdf
and you can find out when your new pistol was made.

I don't like single actions with extremely light actions. You should be able to feel and hear the action working. I've seen them so light you could do neither. Yuck!
So I just polish everything that moves and install a set of Wolff flat springs. I don't care for the coil or wire type springs, they are too light for me.

Buy a single action polishing stone kit from Brownells and slick up the channels where the hand and it's spring work. This helps even if it has the Ruger style hand spring.
Then polish everything else that rubs against itself.

Now the cylinder bolt finger to the hammer cam needs some special attention too.
Steve Young told me he reduces the height of the hammer cam to the thickness of the bolt finger to reduce the flexing of the finger, then polishes it all. This increases the life of the parts.
Others here have also said they've done the same thing.
Also a bit of high strength grease put on the hammer cam keeps that area nicely lubed. (You can do this with the hammer at full cock.)

https://www.vtigunparts.com/ is your friend now. Bookmark this link if you haven't already.

Joe

Kinda wordy today, ain't I?
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! Looks great with your leverguns. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sounds like you got a good deal Steve. Maybe you can empty that pretzel jar holding your .357 brass by doing some reloading.

The revolver looks good. Let us know how it shoots.
ED
Yer never too old
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

J Miller - I looked it up last night and it was made in 2009. Also, stamped into the cylinder, behind one flute, are the the last 4 digits of the s/n. Thanks for the good information. I'll keep all that info in mind, especially about the hammer cam.

Modoc ED - Actually I have now have 2 pretzel jars full of 38spl brass as I recently traded some 45acp for another 2,000 pieces so I'm set for brass. Also, I've currently got 1,200rds of 38spl and 300rds of 357mag loaded up. :D Happiness is a full 30cal ammo can!!
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Decided to slick up the Uberti per John Taylor's write-up on Gunblast.com. It worked slick as snot! I have the Wolf Spring Kit on order from Brownells but I thought, what the heck and did the work in about 1 hour. Couldn't be simpler. Now the hammer pull is smooth and lighter and the trigger is great. After stoning the action and thinning the springs, I polished it up, slapped on some grease and put 'er back together.

I'm a happy camper. The sun is shinning, the birds are singing, so I decided to take it out to the range to give 'er a run. So I pack up my chrono and my Rossi 24" rifle so so I could use it to compare the readings from today and my previous outing with my rifles.

I'm on a roll because the pistol shoots square and straight but a tiny bit low at 25yds (about 1"). I figure I can learn my way to the right sight picture with it so it's good as delivered. Just for the heck of it I shoot a cylinder, standing two handed, of my 38spl+Ps at our 100yd gong and the third shot I ring it!!!

Things are going great so I trot out my chrono (Beta Master Shooting Chrony) and give the pistol a string of 10 rds. Average is 1,290fps with my 38spl+Ps! Just to check, I run a string of 10rds through my rifle and compare it to my previous strings. It ran 9fps average faster this time even though the temp was on 68° so that is consistent with my previous readings. That means that my 7½" barrel pistol generates about 209fps less than my 24" rifle (about what I expected).

After shooting about 100rds, I figured that my luck couldn't hold up much longer so I packed up and came home to clean up everything. I've got to say that I've had about the most 'gun fun' in the last 24hrs since I got my Uberti than I've had in a really long time. :D :D :D
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote:
BlaineG wrote::mrgreen: Outstanding. You stole it 8)
I know and I almost feel guilty too.
BTW, while sitting here ogling, fondling, and introducing it to the fold, I found an article on GunBlast that shows how to take it apart and slick it up a bit. The action is a bit stiff and the trigger is on the heavy side (naturally) so I figured that there must be a 'slickup' kit for these suckers. Sure enough, I found one on Brownells; a Uberti Wire Shooters Spring Pak for $24. Has anyone tried it and is it worth the money?
A...yep! Another must do, IMO, is to "hourglass" the main spring. From about 5/16-3/8" above the base of the spring narrow its width to about .25" up to about where the "trough" for the hammer roller is. Make sure you round all new corners an de-burr the edges where you've ground it. I go as far as to polish the edges of mine. I've yet to break one of my mainsprings so modified. Don't go smaller than 1/4" and don't let the spring get red as you grind it.

Watch the left backstrap screw. It should be hollow with a coil handspring inside. Make sure you use the correct screw when you reassemble it. Using a std screw over-compresses the spring. :twisted:

Enjoy! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Just like mine... order some extra screws... Ubertis tend to have soft heads.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL !! :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful sixgun. You got a deal and a-half!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great deal...you lucky dog ...you! congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nothin' like a new toy to spice up life a bit! :D 'Ya done well.

Unless you know what your doing, leave it alone, especially the mainspring. I like a heavy (and fast) hammer fall. A thousand rounds will smooth it up a bit. -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

COSteve, nice set up, it kinda reminds me of something.........

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Nice rig, Steve, you're a lucky guy. :D
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

draperjojo wrote:COSteve, nice set up, it kinda reminds me of something.........

What a beautiful family picture!!
Steve
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very nice. I've got one in 5 1/2" and it's a joy to shoot.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Thanks to all. I know that the 5½" version is much more popular but I'm really glad I got this one with a 7½" barrel because the performance of my 38spl+P out of it is great. So good in fact that I'm going to be 'forced' to go to our range again today and chrono my 357mag loads in it too (I forgot them yesterday). This performance testing is tough but someone's got to do it. :mrgreen:

Also, while the holster wasn't that much (retail price for holster and belt was $105), I'm actually pretty pleased with it. Besides being lucky that it fits, the holster & belt is their 'Lawman / Trailbelt Comb' they designed for SASS so it's cut down in the front which really helps in drawing that longer barrel.

The backplate (?) is also fairly stiff and it holds it in place well so I can leave the muzzle end unattached to my leg. That will make for easier walking with it in the woods. Finally, the belt is nice and wide and rides comfortably on my hips and holds the 20 rds of ammo pretty tightly so I'm not worried about them wandering off.

I'm undecided whether to wear it strong side or crossdraw. The holster is canted at 6° muzzle forward in strong side so when you swing it to crossdraw it presents butt slightly forward very nicely, even when worn over on my left hip. I'm leaning towards the crossdraw setup because then the pistol won't be in the way if I carry my rifle on a sling.

What thoughts do you all have for holster position?
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Well, I came back from the range after chrono'ng my 357mag loads in my Uberti and it's clear that the 7½" barrel really helps with the velocity! My H110 loads aren't full bore (16.7grns), but rather a bit under (16.5grns) because that's where both my rifle and carbine get the best groups. Even so, my 10 shot string averaged 1,548fps with a SD of 23.49. :D

More sobering, I gave the 200yd gongs a go with the pistol and surprise, surprise . . . . . . . . . I didn't hit it once. Scared it to death a couple of times but no hits. :cry: In truth, with those sights I'd have to be a terrific shot to hit anything that far away and the truth is I'm not. So, to salve my wounded ego I gave the 30" 100yd gong a go and hit it twice out of 6 shots so I don't feel a total failure. :lol:

I put another 125 rds through it and the action is now beautiful. It's smooth as silk but not too light. I can still spell out C-O-L-T with the clicks. The trigger has also settled into a fine grove and as tonight was Cowboy Action, as I was leaving, the guys were rounding up for their shoot.

A few checked out my Uberti and all agreed that the action was really slick and the trigger a respectable 3-3½lbs but smooth and with a decent break. I couldn't be happier with my new addition.

Oh, and I'm not sure I like the crossdraw rig, I switched it back to strong side and the rig seems to ride on my waist / hips better.
Steve
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Steve, it sounds like you are having a really, really good time with your new pistola and there can't be anything finer than the pleasure of having done the work yourself. Nice job!

Do you have any longer range rifles by chance? I'll be in Hotchkiss, CO for a Billy Dixon Shoot July 10th and 11th and would love to meet you if you could attend. You don't need something that shoots 1538 yards but something for plinking at 700 yards or less would be great.

I expect to have at least one levergun with me and probably more.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Tutt - Thanks for the invite but the truth is that 300yds is about all I'm good for with any of my rifles. I've tried my A4 AR with a 12x scope out farther using 68grn Hornadys but the truth is at 62, my shooting abilities are just a shadow of what they were 30yrs ago. I might not be able to hit much but I sure do have fun trying.
Steve
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Steve... dont feel bad about the long range shots... hitting a oil barrel at 300 is a 2 for 10 endevor if the wind is up at all for me. With my eyes, it just takes a few more "ranging shots" than my kids need.

I am glad your pistol slicked up with use. You probably know this... but it's probably a good idea to let things break in before you chase a problem that may go away on it's own. if nothing else you get the bright spots so you know what may be rubbing internally

My 357 has over 1000 rounds of factory level 158 grain loads and some 38 specials through it... still no drag line, and timing is as good as the day it arrived
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Killer Deal! Congratulations!
B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

COSteve, beautiful guns. I have a Rossi 92 with 16 inch barrel and a Uberti Catleman with 4 3/4 inch barrel, both in .45 colt. They are a blast to shoot. I have not attempted anything past 100 yards, the Rossi is spot on, the Uberti hasn't hit anything out that far. Is it the gun, or is it the shooter? Time will tell. Having fun trying.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Do not hour-glass the hammer spring, this is not necessary.
Get some small metal washers and install as many as necessary between the grip frame & spring screw. This will lighten the hammer, Two or three should do the trick.
Old-Timers used leather, but leather absorbed moisture and would rust out the lower grip frame.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Steve