First 30-30 !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

First 30-30 !

Post by 243dave »

Here I am a few months shy of 40 years old and I've never owned a 30-30, I'm ashamed. About two hours ago I was in the local Gander Mountain strolling by the used guns when I noticed a 94 winchester 30-30. It was a angle eject with 20" barrel with none of the safeties and a little rough with blueing wear in places and the wood dinged up too but it was calling me(especially when the price tag said $199), so I placed it on layaway. I'm as excited about this old rifle as I would be as if it were a $1000 bolt-gun. For me its gonna be a project gun, new blueing and redone wood with linseed oil. Plus a peep sight of some sort. It has a old tasco scope on it set in see-thru mounts but it won't stay on a hour after I get it off lay-away. I am looking forward to this gun since it will be only my 2nd lever-gun. Now I need a 45-70.... :) ......Dave
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First 30-30 !

Post by COSteve »

Congrats, great find! Now you know that you have to post pictures when you bring it home, don't you?
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Congrats!! +1 on a picture :D .Dirty-.30
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good deal! I too went nearly 40 yrs without a 30-30. Frankly, I don't love the cartridge but I somehow feel incomplete without one. I do enjoy shooting it! Good luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes, you should feel ashamed - but now have redeemed your sin :-). I do love the cartridge--actually quite capable and a good pairing with the gun, still true today as "Oliver Browning" devised--and would feel incomplete without mine. You did good--and no safety c***!
Last edited by gak on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! You will enjoy it and you will also find that it is all that you really need to hunt deer, hogs, bear, etc. - especially if you're hunting in the woods and not shooting much beyond 150 yards.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done, every time I see a 30 30 case around home it makes me smile :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

And so it starts. :D :D a hard habit to kick.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Congrats! They always say the 1st one is the most difficult, and its all downhill after that. You did well! It doesn't matter how many 30-30's happen to be in your safe ,when you come across another in a Gun Store it just feels Great!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I don't know if I like .30.30 or not! But I own only 8 so far. Maybe buying another one or 3 I might really get to liking them . :D When ever I see one for sale at a good price, just can't no to a good lever action .30.30 .
God has truly been good to me .
Some years ago my entire gun collection was stolen. At that time the insurance paid much better.
But then too \, I didn't try to rob them. Showed the actual amount I gave , and then even upped the amount on most to popular prices at that time.
Helped to restore the damage to my home and all else .
Lever action .30.30 + SAA revolvers are my addiction . :twisted:

GO & ENJOY your fire arm,.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Congratulations! I was in my early 50's before I owned a 30-30. Previously, I thought it was too ordinary. Now that I have one, a Winchester Model 94 named 'Old Savage', I would not want to be without one. The carbine 30-30 is one of the handiest guns, in a good all-around caliber, that a fellow can have. It comes with me when I take my family wilderness canoeing and camping, and it comes with me when I go on a car trip.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good! Your bit. Now most of us don't feel alone. The grand 'ole 30-30 is a great cartridge, lot more accurate than the press (and non-30-30 people) gives it. Cheap to shoot, especially with cast and...........in shooting 30-30's since 1968, I have never heard of one being worn out!

I've owned dozens of 'em through the years, made from 1895 to the early seventies in Winchester, Marlin, and Savage and have yet to own one that was inaccurate.

Get yourself some gas checked lead bullets and a couple of hundred empties. You can shoot 'till the cows come home for $10 :D --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Now you made Griff happy...congradulations to the cartridge that EVERYBODY should have at least once.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

good rifle and round you will not be diserpointed
+1 on the pics when you bring it home
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I don't think a man can keep house without at least one 94 Winchester leaned in a corner, somewhere. I've used it for everything from a pest gun to a hunting rifle to law enforcement rifle; never found anything I liked better in any of those roles. The old 30-30 is a workhorse of a cartridge that can pull big loads without burning much hay.

The combination of the two brought many good things together, in one place.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

welcome to the wool shirt and duck boot crowd...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Like many young guys, I started out with a borrowed 30-30. My Grandad was my first Mentor and we often hunted together in the western foothills of the Big Horn Mts. Grandad was born in 1889 and hunted carefully and patiently to get within good shooting range for a sure shot. Neither of us knew that we needed a 270 or 30-06! I took my first elk with that 30-30 and many mulies as well.

1973, Grandad died. He was 84 at the time. But at least some of his wisdom was passed to me. I'll share this about the 30-30 cartridge:

- plan to shoot from make shift field rest
- shooting beyond 150 yards or so is risky; get closer
- shoot your first bullet through the chest organs at broadside angle
- shoot a 2nd shot quickly but accurately if the animal is still on its feet
- don't hunt downhill because dragging uphill is too much effort

The new leverevolution ammo by Hornady is reputed to extend lethal range of 30-30 well beyond 200 yards. But I have no first hand experiences with this ammo to share.

Good hunting to you.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Glad you got one :D
I love the 30-30, it is a great all round cartridge :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations! I know the store you're talking about. I don't get up that way very often, but I try to allow time to "walk and drool" if I'm in the area! :mrgreen:
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

I've owned this one since 1974.
My dad bought it for me off the rack for 94 dollars.

Forgot about it for a while when I was in college.
Came home and discovered some rust on it.

Been taking better care of it since.

243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

Very nice WEG. If I can get the one I have on lay-away close to yours I'll be a happy feller. Dave
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

cancel your subscriptions to GUNS&AMMO and SHOOTING TIMES. a great cartridge that will will do everything a hunter/explorer in north america needs. with the old time rem ington corelocks, to the new hornandy revoulitions, to the proposed BUFFALOE BORE 190's, and that's not with handloading 8)