Your Thoughts About a 30 Carbine Lever Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Your Thoughts About a 30 Carbine Lever Rifle

Post by RANisbet »

I have ben seriously thinking about a plinker bolt action in 30 carbine and feel that it would also be a nice youth training rifle.
It just occurred to me that a lever rifle in 30 carbine might be fun.
Any thoughts on whether it would be an easy conversion of an off-the-shelf rifle.
Bob Nisbet
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Your Thoughts About a 30 Carbine Lever Rifle

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .30 carbine round won't do anything in a levergun that can't be done with the .32-20, except be a relative PITB because of its rimless configuration. .30 carbine ammo does its best work in the US Carbine, Caliber .30, M1...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I have a US Carbine and a batch of ammo too.
Thought I might get another rifle thast uses the same ammo.
For serious shooting, I use my early vintage Winchester 348.
Bob Nisbet
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Look for a Marlin Model 62.. They made 'em in 30 carbine :D
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

It would be an interesting cartridge but Marlin did offer a rifle which had a removeable magazine. The levermatic there are some still out there with attendent prices. One I idea I had was to find a halfway decent spanish destroyer carbine bolt action, which was chambered for the 9MM Largo used removeable magazines. Only I wanted or was thinking of converting it into a 7.62X25 Tokarev. I don't know if the action would allow a longer carbine cartridge but some youngin would certainly help you shoot it. Interesting project, but barrel prices would be high I feel. Good Luck.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Guys used to buy another slide for their M1 carbines, grind clearance on it so the gas piston didn't impinge on it to stop it from cycling so they had themselves a straight pull bolt repeater....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And you can easily load a .30-30 down to those plinking charges also. Darn fun shootin'!!! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Guys used to buy another slide for their M1 carbines, grind clearance on it so the gas piston didn't impinge on it to stop it from cycling so they had themselves a straight pull bolt repeater....
I think you can just remove the piston and get the same result. Works on an SKS.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Your Thoughts About a 30 Carbine Lever Rifle?

I can honestly say, none. it just ain't worth thinking about.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I think you can just remove the piston and get the same result. Works on an SKS.

jb
Nope.. A bunch of the gas would then be vented (more than required to move the piston) out into the works..LOUD and very messy LOL...However the end of the piston could be ground off with the same result as cutting clearance on a spare slide, but then to return the rifle back to full gas operation one would have to buy a new piston (yes cheaper than the spare slide) But the gas piston nut must be removed with a $pecial wrench to get the piston out...And the gas piston nut is STAKED in place, it takes a lot of force to get it to turn.. Removal of it scars up the threads in the body into which it's screwed (part of the barrel) ...then the threads will need to be chased with a $pecial chasing tap..Piston and nut properly installed to the correct depth and finally re staked....
WIL TERRY
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Griff is right its pretty easy to do and plenty enough accurate.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

+1 to what Griff said. Dad always wanted a '94 in 30-30 so years ago I gave him one. Knowing that he wouldn't use it for anything but varmints I loaded a whole bunch of 110gr plinkers with it at 32-20 velocity. It was a dog/coyote/skunk/possum/groundhog killing machine. Made me want a 30-30 for myself....but then of course I've already got a 32-20.

Ed
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

How about a Lever Rifle in the the Federal 327 ?

My brother in la Grande, Or., took deliver of a New Ruger BH 8 shot in Federal 327 yesterday.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

QUOTE:
How about a Lever Rifle in the the Federal 327
-----
+1. The Marlin Connecticut plant closing/move may--or may not--have complicated prospects (?) for a .327 lever coming from the most likely suspect, but I think/hope one is coming--from someone.

In the meantime, we have a .30 Carbine lever - in the form of various .357s. Pretty close anyway. I'm a major Carbine fan, but think the complexities others have mentioned, and the availability of the .357 levers (and the .327 cartridge), makes it a difficult proposition. More power to anyone who can pull one off "cleanly," though!
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Hi RANisbet....As long as were talking .30 carbine leverguns, I'll though in my 2 cents worth on an idea I proposed on Single Actions.com, that is a .30 carbine Auto Rim cartidge. The selection of .308 projectiles is outstanding compared to ones for .312 especially if one is talking about flat nosed jacketed ones.

A .30 AR could/would headspace on the rim and not the case mouth, which would allow you to crimp in the bullets. I'm guessing a Model '92 clone would most easily handle the 40,000 or so PSI that the carbine is loaded to. A .30AR would greatly simplyfy chambering in a revolver, and I'm guessing an 8 shot "L" frame or a 6 shot Colt SAA clone would make a dandy companion piece...

I mean, as long as were thinking out loud here...

mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

mergus wrote:Hi RANisbet.... that is a .30 carbine Auto Rim cartidge. .

A .30AR would greatly simplyfy chambering in a revolver, and I'm guessing an 8 shot "L" frame or a 6 shot Colt SAA clone would make a dandy companion piece...

mergus
Not trying to be a wet blanket here....but have you ever shot a .30 carbine in a pistol? Plugs and muffs for sure. Not one I care to shoot again.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

mergus wrote: I mean, as long as were thinking out loud here...

mergus
Loud being the operative term if my .30 Carbine BH was any indicator... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Get your carbine a companion revolver - Ruger Blackhawk 30 Carbine.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

As to companion guns, someone mentioned the idea of a Colt SAA in .30C. Little known is USFA came out with the chambering in their single action 12-18 months ago. I do believe it was a pricey WWII (or some such) commemorative, though I could be mistaken.
Harry O
Levergunner

Post by Harry O »

I have a Marlin Model 62 in .30 carbine and a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20. Both give Marlin accuracy (very good).

The Model 62 has a cheap 4-round magazine. I bought three more from Numrich since the original did not feed reliably. After tweeking them to feed reliably, I hardened the lips and the bottom plate of the magazine (heat it with propane until cherry red and plunge it into cold water). I have not had a problem with them since. The Model 62 has a snug chamber and a short throat. You need to trim ALL cases to under 1.290" (I have mine set up for 1.280" to 1.282" after trimming). Bullets with straight sides and short nose radii have to be set deep. Bullets that have longer nose curves and shorter straight sides can be set further out. My M1 carbine is much more forgiving and will feed and shoot just about anything. It is not as accurate as the Model 62, however.

The 1894CL has a 5-round tube magazine. No tweeking and no hardening needed. I have reloading the 32-20 down pretty good since I have been loading it for about 45 years. It is harder than reloading the .30 carbine without case loss (it is pretty hard to ruin a .30 carbine case). Again, trimming all of them to the same length is very important.

Performancewise, both are equal when loaded to equal pressures. Both handle quickly and easily, although the 1894CL has an edge. The 1894 is much more traditional. The Model 62 has a short lever throw that works great, but is different. Both seem to be selling for about the same amount on the auction websites, so that is not much of a deciding factor. Either way is good.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I own an M1 Carbine and a 357mag levergun and by any measure, a 30 Carbine levergun would be a step backwards from the 357mag levergun.

A M1 Carbine will shoot a .308 cal, 110grn bullet at 1,990fps producing 967lb/ft ME out of it's 18" barrel with Federal, Remington, & Winchester ammo. I can't find anyone who makes 'hot rod' ammo for it.

In comparison, a std 18½" barreled 357mag Marlin levergun shooting Buffalo Bore 158grn bullets at 2,153fps produces 1,626lb/ft of ME.

In practice, both platforms are compact, easy to aim, and have very little recoil and muzzle blast. Both cost about the same to reload to shoot. Based upon their respective performance, spending a ton of money to develop a 30 Carbine levergun is just plain stupid.

I love my little M1 Carbine but one has got to be realistic, it will never be an equal to the larger diameter, heavier, and faster bullet out of a 357mag carbine. It ain't even a close race as the 357mag's 44% heavier bullet, traveling 8% faster produces a whopping 68% more ME.

Bigger hole, deeper penetration, larger wound cavity, more impact shock. The 357mag carbine is just plain better in every way.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

mergus wrote:As long as were talking .30 carbine leverguns, I'll though in my 2 cents worth on an idea I proposed on Single Actions.com, that is a .30 carbine Auto Rim cartidge. The selection of .308 projectiles is outstanding compared to ones for .312 especially if one is talking about flat nosed jacketed ones.
Thompson Center almost did that. Their Contender 32-20 barrels used a 0.308 bore. You got both the rimmed case and the 30 caliber bullet selection.

Bruce
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

COSteve, good post. Because of the format, "firepower" and more-than-adequate (actually very good) close-in HD performance, the M1C is my go-to for that role--amongst centerfire rifles--with the .357 carbine 2nd. But in an overall ballistics comparison, you're right on, and particularly favorable to the .357 if even remotely considering 100-125 yd medium game (deer) stopper. I know the M1C "can" do it, but I won't. More than 125? We're on to .30-30 land anyway IMO.

Perhaps contradicting myself here regarding "need," and the earlier poster's better .308 bullet availability aside, I *do* see a slick .327 lever in our future as a great all 'round plinker and varminter. THAT would be the ".30 carbine lever" we're looking for, and with a decent number of companion handguns for it. The new .32-20. Like the .357, the .327 already exists as a rimmed round to build a lever around.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ben_Rumson wrote:

jb
Nope.. A bunch of the gas would then be vented (more than required to move the piston) out into the works..LOUD and very messy LOL...However the end of the piston could be ground off with the same result as cutting clearance on a spare slide, but then to return the rifle back to full gas operation one would have to buy a new piston (yes cheaper than the spare slide) But the gas piston nut must be removed with a $pecial wrench to get the piston out...And the gas piston nut is STAKED in place, it takes a lot of force to get it to turn.. Removal of it scars up the threads in the body into which it's screwed (part of the barrel) ...then the threads will need to be chased with a $pecial chasing tap..Piston and nut properly installed to the correct depth and finally re staked....
Ahh!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have/had a nice Marlin in 32 H and R mag, but it was adopted by the wife i I haven't gotten to shoot it. I do load al lot of ammo for it and it's a dandy varmit and plinking gun I HEAR! In 327 Federal it would be just a tad faster than a 32-20 but not by much.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have an Encore in 30 Carbine that I gave to my girl friend to shoot and hunt with. And she loves it. No recoil what so ever. I load the Sierra 130 grain bullet that they designed for the 30-30 non-lever rifles. The bullet does a great job on deer. She is deadly with that rifle. If you are within 100 yards then you are in a world of hurt if she wants too shoot. I think Sierra quit making this bullet. But I have about 150 bullets left. So we stopped shooting them for practice. We are now working on a cast bullet load for her to practice with. It is a fantastic cartridge as long as you stay within the parameters of the cartridge. Tom.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Please forgive my 2 cents..... the.30 carbine cart might have some limited use, but it's an absolute thing as a manstopper. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Someonne on this site decided to edit my opinion of the .30 carbine cart. I violently DISAGREE with their edit!!!! As a fight-ender, it's not worth a darn!!. jd45
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Actually, I believe the 30 carbine with good soft point or hollow points would be a great 'man stopper' for home defense purposes. One paper, it sure beats the living daylights out of a .357 handgun and nobody complains about the ineffectiveness of a .357. Judgements about 30 carbine rounds are often made with the assumption the shooter will be using hardball as our military did. Hardball would be the last thing I would use when shooting a carbine at game or for self defense purposes.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Hey COSteve, I was agreeing with you 100%, maybe seemingly roundabout. Just saying, my M1 is my go to for HD because of its configuration and "firepower"--rapid (capable) 15 to 30 and quick change--with the round still also being effective in its close-in role...and thereby relegating the .357 lever to BUG duty (in relative terms). Any other duty (woods'ing, close in hunting, etc) it goes to the .357.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yes, that's what I thought and why I posted about my M1 also.

Must be that great minds think alike! :lol: :wink:
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the .324 Federal's favor is that it is a straight walled rimmed pistol round and is easy to reload. Carbide dies for the .32 H&R Mag work very well. My wife has a .327 and loves it, and she would rather shoot it than her .357. If someone did come out with a .327 Levergun, I would buy her one so that she had the handgun and rifle in the same caliber. Is it a match for the .357, NO it is not. Is it a caliber which would be useful on coyote or smaller varmints, yes it would. Hogs might be too much for it if they were over about 100 to 150 pounds. Would the .327 probably work well in a levergun, I would think it would load and cycle as well as the .357. If the .32-20 were a little easier to find for me, then I might just get one of them instead of waiting for a .327 levergun as the performance specifications seem to be almost the same. .30 Carbine, I just would be afraid that the rimless round would be trouble in a levergun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

jd45 wrote:Someonne on this site decided to edit my opinion of the .30 carbine cart. I violently DISAGREE with their edit!!!! As a fight-ender, it's not worth a darn!!. jd45
jd45 - you might have run afoul of the software substituting ordinary words for naughty ones. Re-reading your original post, I bet you didn't say "it's an absolute thing as a manstopper", you must have had a more colorful word for "thing".

I ran into this on a private message where I used a term describing both the rearward protruberance of a human being and also the biblical term for donkey. The software substituted "butt" for my choice - even on a private message.

It's possible no one edited your post, except for the software. Of course it's a little reminder of the rules of site, ain't that a female dog?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."