My name is Ben and I have a Lever addiction

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

My name is Ben and I have a Lever addiction

Post by BenT »

Talking to my shooting buddy this spring we established that we need to shoot the guns that we have more and that no new purchases are required to have fun. We needed a plan of action. Guns were discussed in length and we decided on handguns and rifles that we would get together and shoot. Also that we stop talking each other into buying more guns. Sure we could still go to gunshows and talk smart and buy once fired brass. But the support group was in place to control this addiction.

Now yesterday was just another day at work. I do field service ,so I travel around all day. When I take my breaks during the day,they seem to be directly perportional to me driving by a gunshop. ( I'm not sure if this is an enabler to my lever addiction or not, but lets not jump to conclusions.)

Well I stopped by one of the normal stops . Good shop always somebody in there to shoot the breeze while having a can of pop. Always about a dozen used levers there of various manufacture. When something catches my eye on the gunrack. A non- pistol gripped Marlin . I walked behind the counter to take a closer look. ( the fact that I can do that shows that maybe I frequent this place too much, but lets not jump to conclusions). I picked up the Marlin off the rack to show that it is a 45-70, I don't have one of those , and then I look at the price. Where is my support group when I need them . My mind is racing on why I don't need this . I have plenty of calibers of leverguns 30-30,307,308,30-06,356,38-55, 32-20 , 32 spl, 444,. When the proprietor walks over to me all I can blurt out is " is fifty bucks enough to put this on layaway".

After he says "yes" I asked why the price is so low? The bluing isn't even worn off anywhere. He's say that's what the blue book puts it at. Well gentlemen I'm only a mere mortal male and I gave into temptation. But when the price tag says $219 . I'm not strong enough! There is no hope for me.
bdhold

Re: My name is Ben and I have a Lever addiction

Post by bdhold »

I'm so proud, I walked away from a 39A for $250 (and he would have dropped it) last weekend.
It actually wasn't that difficult to walk away - it was a bit too plumb brown and rough for its relative young age, and I was near the salt...didn't trust it. Probably hard to shoot out a .22, but you can sure corrode them.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ben where is this shop, would be happy to go there and buy a few. Just to reduce the temptation for you :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats on your new Lever! I might not have been able to pass up that deal either!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Having bought 4 guns in the last 12 months- 3 lever actions- Browning 92, BLR 308, Winch 9410 and Savage 10PC I suffer your addiction. My wife cringes whenever we go into a new town- first thing I do is orient myself via the location of the Court House then find gun shops!.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Addiction or not, it would just defy common sense to pass up a Marlin 45-70 for that price!
NRA Life Member
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Well addiction I don't think you can call a passion that. Its all good esp. a nice Marlin.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

TedH wrote:Addiction or not, it would just defy common sense to pass up a Marlin 45-70 for that price!
what he said
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

If you hadn't bought that, I'd have you arrested . !!! :mrgreen: or put in the nut house!
Mutt
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Excellent move...hang on to it for awhile and if you don't like it, shine it up a hair and double your money. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

How could you NOT buy it for that price?!

I don't even need a 45-70, but I'd have bought
it for that. Use it on squirrels or something......

-Stretch
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

TedH wrote:Addiction or not, it would just defy common sense to pass up a Marlin 45-70 for that price!
Heck, that's almost free!!

Good on ya!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Were we having a meeting? I didn't get the notice. I always try and make the lever gun addiction support group meetings. :D

It would of been a real shame not to pickup that rifle.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You want me to break you of any possible future bad habit of not buying any guns?

I'm am not bs'en here.---------Everytime I ride past a cemetery, I say to myself, "None of those people are pulling the trigger or getting some excitement by buying a new toy".

Life is short buddy---------As long as your family is well taken care of, the bills are paid, you "do the right thing" in life-------then go buy your guns.

DON'T LET GUILT RUIN A HAPPY MOMENT---ITS A MAN MADE EMOTION. :D --------sIXGUN
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

yup! I see it the same way as most everyone else here. I know people that spend money at Taverns, and night clubs, I also know people who buy a new car every 2 years, and there are people who get mixed up into High dollar illegal drugs. So the rest of us "Normal" guys who live a good, clean life should not feel a bit guilty at buying a Gun any time they feel like it. I have even had to eat Venison for a week straight to catch up after I found a gun I just had to have! Congrats Ben, I would have taken it home also!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I'm just amazed on how easily sidetracked I can get. I wasn't looking for a 45-70 . I figured if I got a 45-70 it would be in an 1886. I love my leverguns and I love working up loads for them . $200 won't break the bank , but that would be money I needed to buy moulds and powder to play with the guns that I was planning on focusing on this summer. But it's money well invested.

Last year I picked up a 307 Win, 338 MX and a marlin in 32-20 that I haven't even begun to get ironed out. Come to think of it last year was a good year! :D I have a 3 month lay away . I'm not in any hurry to pick it up,as you can see I have plenty of shooting to do with what I got.

It's good hear that you guys would have a hard time passing on that deal. But I don't know if that really helps with my addiction. :shock:
Last edited by BenT on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My addiction has caused me to try to buy one gun a month.
Problem is it ain't always a levergun. Addicted to rimfire rifles
(non-10/22,AR) and S&W revolvers too, preferably vintage
as it's easier to get something interesting into CA if it qualifies
for C&R.

You will not get any help for your addiction from me
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BenT wrote:Talking to my shooting buddy this spring we established that we need to shoot the guns that we have more and that no new purchases are required to have fun.
Blasphemy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Actuallly, the problem is that you are trying to apply logic to the situation. A big no-no with leveritis. Glad you took the sane course and bought that .45-70!!! :mrgreen:
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I only have 7 levers right now and am looking at building two custom levers so I won't be buying to much of anything for awhile as custom firearms are not cheap and that is half the fun is putting together something that never was.
I am looking at building a 44 spl on an original 92 action and then building a 256 win mag on a new miroku action or at least a miroku action can better stand the mag pressures than the originals can.
I have had a model 1895 in my hand as I thought I would like one but don't like anything about them except the calibers you can put in one. I have one 1886 and would like another but they are pricey.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

In today's market at 219.00$ they would have had to call the fire dept to put out the flaming pile of bills that flashed out of my wallet so fast they caught fire.You did good!
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

stretch wrote:How could you NOT buy it for that price?!

I don't even need a 45-70, but I'd have bought
it for that. Use it on squirrels or something......

-Stretch

Now THAT's funny...

Southern 'Boo
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

We need to start a group 'lever action owners anonymous'.