cast bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

cast bullets

Post by two bit okie »

I WILL be getting a mod 94 in 30-30 and shooting exclusily cast bullets. I will load them my self soooooooooo, when preping the cases, do need to bell the cases or just stuff the cast bullet down the throat?
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Re: cast bullets

Post by 2row »

I load lots of cast in everything I shoot an the old 30-30 is the best an yes you have too bell the case or it will cut lead from the bullet a very small bell will work BEST!!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You need to prep your cases once with a case mouth chamfering tool. I've not needed to bell mine with a gas checked bullet.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I just started experimenting with cast in my 30-30s and was advised to buy a Lyman M die to expand and bell the cases for the cast bullets. Best advise I've gotten in a long time. That die is the finishing touch in case prep.
Full size
Trim
M Die
Prime
Powder
Seat bullet
Crimp

The best thing is the M die is consistent. Belling by hand is not.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Buy the 30 cal. Lyman "M" die.

I use mine for 30-30, .308, 30-06, 30 Remington & etc.

Makes for easy loading with gas checks also.

They are not much money and save much time. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Get either the Lyman die so you get the M die, or the RCBS legacy die set if you don't already have dies.
Belling the case mouth helps to make double sure you don't shave a bullet while seating.

5744 powder is the way to go as well.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have the Lee universal expanding die, works very well to bell the mouths of any size case. Price is right.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Lyman M-Die. :wink: :wink: :wink:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

jnyork wrote:I have the Lee universal expanding die, works very well to bell the mouths of any size case. Price is right.
+1

And you may consider the Lee 170 grain flat nose mold too. I just got one. Gas check design.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Another vote for the Lyman "M" die.
Best $15 you will ever spend.
It opens the case neck in two steps, one just under bullet size and one a bit larger.
You will be able to seat the bullets straight, easy, and without shaving.

Jack
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Jmiller's right with his sequence of loading operations. I'd take it one step further though. Buy either the latest edition of the Lyman Reloading Manual and/or their Cast Bullet Handbook, and read up on all of the little nuances that go with cast bullet loading. Different alloys, lubes, and powder charges can be the difference between superb groups and shotgun patterns out of the same rifle. Keep good track of what your loads were, what lead mix you use, and what your groups turn out to be-for each rifle. That way you can go back to your favorite load for your favorite gun easier. Cast bullets can be astoundingly accurate, and they won't harmlessly bounce off game, either. You might want to check out the Cast Boolet website, where the guys over there take casting and swageing their own bullets to all kinds of extremes, using all kinds of techniques along the way. They are sometimes a pretty opinionated bunch (like here) but are generally very helpful when it comes to troubleshooting.

I agree with everyone who's recommended the Lyman M die or Lee expander die. That step really makes a big difference.