OT - Sick as a dog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Sick as a dog

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm home sick right now. My daughter caught a stomach virus raging through our schools last week, and she was nice enough to share. It hit about 12:30am early Tuesday morning, and I haven't been able to keep anything down since then. Actually, without going into too many gory details, it is simply a race to see which end anything I eat or drink exits from first. :shock: No sleep in two days and my head is swimming...

So, where does the saying "sick as a dog" come from? I feel sicker than any dog I've ever seen!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Sick as a dog

Post by AJMD429 »

That's what you get for telling your kids to 'share'...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yikes, I feel your pain, YK. To say "I've been there and done that" would be an understatement. Feeling the effects on both ends is miserable, indeed, but it will soon pass.
Start with soup and unsalted crackers, and before long you'll hardly remember it. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

You should try to drink some gatorade/powerade/vitaminwater.....you'll want to replensih your electorlytes to avoid feeling like you have a hang over (fatigued, headache, etc).

It won't cure you but it will lessen the length and depth of your illness.

Wm
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

What WM said, pedia-lyte or generic is perfect for this.

I have Crohns disease, suffering a massive flare up right now. I have been living on pedia-lyte and insure for almost two weeks now.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Get well real soon Jay.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sorry to hear about this. We ( the wife and I ) had something similar a week or so ago. Miserable is an understatement. Rest and get better.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

prayers up for you and your family. :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hang in there Jay! Been there, done that(about 3 months ago :? ).
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

You have my sympathy!!!

aI had tht stuff back in February, it hung on for three weeks.

About the only thing that would setttle my stomach was Crystallized Ginger and Ginger Ale.

Give that a try. Eat a few pieces of Crystallized Ginger and drink large amounts of Ginger Ale. If it doesn't settle your stomach pretty quick you'd better see a doctor before you start to dehydrate.

Good Luck and God Bless. I can't think of many people I'd wish that stuff upon, and most of them hold elected offices.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Sorry you are "under the weather" (yet another expression. Aren't we all under the weather? I guess on the space station they are "over the weather."). I was once told that the expression ""sick as a dog" was coined because dogs, while great and loyal friends, will eat anything. Sometimes with disastrous results. So, if someone is sick as a dog, they are usually demonstrating the same behavior as a dog who ate what he/she should not have.

The best to both you and your daughter. Get well soon.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Some good advice has been given regarding your not feeling well. But no one mentioned purging, bleeding, application of leeches. Ice water enimas, followed by Cayenne tea as well as Cayenne infusion as an enima. Eat a lot of sauekraut as well. Nothing else it will take your mind off how bad you feel. Hope you get well soon. :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can keep warm mint tea down and it settles my stomach and bowels pretty good....

Joel, that sucks....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Yuck, that sucks. And no, I won't trade places with you... :lol:

You know, if I'm going to have "those" kinds of issues I'd prefer it was due to a little "hair of the dog" rather than a virus. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and advice fellas. I think I've finally turned a corner. Was able to eat a little soup for dinner and keep it down. Only problem about working from home is there is no such thing as a true "sick day". I still ended up putting in a full day and then some, so got little rest. I'm off to bed in a moment.

Joel, sorry to here about your condition. Prayers up...
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

One thing that I have found to help is plane toast with some honey on it. The bread soaks up some of the crud and honey has enzymes that aid digestion taking some of the stress off your system.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I feel ya - I travel for a living and my wife is school teacher. 'Twixt the two us we seem to find a way to catch anything/everything that's out there!

Hope you feel better,
Oly

P.S. Or how about "hunt you down like a dog"? Huh? Who the heck hunts dogs?
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since I've started taking extra Zink supplements, I don't seem to come down with stuff as much....Maybe once or twice a year.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Some mean critter is going around here as well. My 84 yr old FIL had a painful belly, nausea, etc for a couple days, ended up hospitalized for two days where they rehydrated him and shot him full of IV antibiotics (high white cell count). He bounced back and was released from the Hospital Monday. I had a mild bout yesterday. Painful bloating, felt like something bad was inside, nausea... Luckily I feel better today. That pain was no fun, but lasted less than 24 hours....
Certified gun nut
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

JReed wrote:One thing that I have found to help is plane toast with some honey on it. The bread soaks up some of the crud and honey has enzymes that aid digestion taking some of the stress off your system.
Thanks for the heads up on the honey-toast. I got hit with a version of the stomach bug myself. The honey-toast is the first thing I've eaten in 36+ hours. Don't know if it was the over sensitivity I sometimes get when I have such a bug but man that honey was super sweet. Almost too much so. But it went down, no nausea and I'm feeling a bit better for it.
Glad you're feeling better YK.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear your predicament, Kid. Hope you get well soon. Those types of bugs really suck.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mklwhite wrote:
JReed wrote:One thing that I have found to help is plane toast with some honey on it. The bread soaks up some of the crud and honey has enzymes that aid digestion taking some of the stress off your system.
Thanks for the heads up on the honey-toast. I got hit with a version of the stomach bug myself. The honey-toast is the first thing I've eaten in 36+ hours. Don't know if it was the over sensitivity I sometimes get when I have such a bug but man that honey was super sweet. Almost too much so. But it went down, no nausea and I'm feeling a bit better for it.
Glad you're feeling better YK.
Glad to hear it worked for ya :D Got it from my Mom and it has yet to fail to make me feel better. :D

YK hope your feeling better.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Ice water enemas- YE OWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Wife and I came down with this bugger early Thursday morning so I can relate to you guys. I found chicken & rice soup will stay down this morning. I jokingly accused my wife of saving back some of that stuff from her colon scope and sprinkling it on supper Wednesday night. Effects match up well but she says not. First decent weather in 2 weeks and I'm cooped up in the house.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith