The 30-30 Lives!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

The 30-30 Lives!

Post by J Miller »

Here's an ON topic article from the September 1979 issue of the American Rifleman.

Joe
Page 1_web.JPG
Page 2_web.JPG
Page 3_web.JPG
Page 4_web.JPG
Check out the Glenfield 30 and Marlin 336T on page 4. I wish they still made those models. I'd love to have one.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: The 30-30 Lives!

Post by iceman »

Amen
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I agree...it''s like being seated before a 5 star meal & then going to hear a concert. Awesome stuff!!!

LB
slamfire
Levergunner

Post by slamfire »

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Joe,very on topic :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

How great would that be as a poster size??!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

m.wun wrote:How great would that be as a poster size??!!

m.wun,
I had to reduce the size down to 800x600 in order to get the forums system to upload it. Even my fotobucket gives me fits with anything over that size.

I agree though, poster size would be nice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

My dad has a Glenfield model 30, and it may have 1/2 box of shells through it. He also has a 336 Marlin with a Gold trigger. They will be mine some day. I told my Dad that some day down the road when they become mine I will hunt with one that next deer season after hes gone, and If I shoot a nice Buck I will know for sure he is there with me. Hopefully they won't be mine for a long time.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Great post, Joe!
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've noticed just about any article about the 30-30 has a line "...adequate for deer sized game at ranges not exceeding 150 yards..." or some derivative of that statement. Here it is in this article from 1979, and I've seen it stated in everything about the 30-30 up to 2010, most notably the 2009 Legacy of Leverguns (Wolfe Pub.) where it is stated twice in two different areas in the same magazine. It's been in books too, most recently American Hunting Rifles (Boddington) and Rifles and Cartridges for Large Game (Simpson). All of these writers are considered to be experts in their field. I find it interesting that the "experts" have all used the "150 yard" clause in their writings for at least 6 decades of books and periodicals that I can find offhand. However, I very often see internet forums including this one, and other chats at the old timey gun store, the range, e-mails, etc where people that proclaim to use the 30-30 for hunting purposes throw out there 175 yards, (or in my observations) more commonly 200 yards. There are a few, including Hornady's LeverEvolution advertising campaign that would say 300 yards!

This was a very interesting article from the past and it could have been written yesterday and remained the same. Thanks Joe!

I leave it up to you to decide what the effective range is on deer sized animals, to each his own. Me, I'm with the writers on this one for a number of reasons but I would love to see recovered bullets or wound photos and especially real time video of deer/game shot with 30-30 at ranges beyond 150 yds to get a better assessment.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Here's T.R.'s perspective on the .30-30:
Whenever Winchester introduced a new model, Roosevelt was quick to put it through its paces. He acquired an 1894 similar to all his other rifles in extras and embellishments and used it on an antelope hunt. His "little .30" as he called it, was able to knock down a good sized antelope at a distance of more than 180 yds. After witnessing the fantastic shot and the irrefutable and immediate results, his guide said that the gun was just "aces" in his book.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Those posts about TR's thoughts and those of the "experts" clearly show the difference between and "expert" and a "rifleman."

The expert is passing along his advice to those that are CLEARLY not at his skill level, based on his observations of others; whereas the rifleman is passing along HIS own actual results.

I may never be an expert, but I sure would like to be a "rifleman!" :twisted: :mrgreen: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Good post Joe.

Back in 1979 we sure as heck didn't need the NRA to tell us "The 30-30 Lives". Those of us who used the .30-30 regularly knew it had never died.
ED
Yer never too old
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

when the 30wcf. first came out winchester advertised it as a grizzly cartridge. it was a popular elk cartridge out west into the 1950's. at some point, it became accepted practice for gun writers to belittle an existing cartridge to sell a new one. all of a sudden the 30wcf bounced off of game. elk and moose gourded you with their antlers and big bears stomped the poor dumb guy into mush for stupidley trying to shoot them with the now declared pathetic round. if, anything the 30wcf is a better cartridge today, than it was back then. i understand that there exists today, better choices for heavy game, that shouldn't nullify the past performance. if you have to build youself up by tearing something,someone else down, there is something wrong :evil:
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

Thanks and perfect timing!
I just bought a Winchester 94 in 30-30 that was made in 1979. The gun is a real time machine like the article, it appears to have never been fired, nearly mint condition. A Lyman receiver sight is on it's way along with some cast bullets.
1979, what a great year, I was a young sailor stationed at Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico.....(drifts off into a nostalgic daydream)
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My neighbor still has his older Savage model 219 in 30-30 plus he has a 20 gauge barrel for it. Sweet balance and excellent trigger for a so-called economy rifle.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My first levergun was a Glenfield 30. Had a Weaver K4 on it.

Eventually sold it, as I did not (then) hunt and my interest has always been primarily military type weaponry and pistols.

Eventually picked up a .44 Marlin to replace it.

Some days I miss that old Glenfield. :) The .30-30 does what needs to be done by most people. It's not sexy or cool but it gets it done.

I prefer a bolt action .30-06, but I could do most jobs with a .30-30 if i really had to.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Great thread, Joe.

I'm keeping my eyes out for a glenfield just like the one in the pic.

Nice, and affordable, rifles.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think the biggest reason I like the Win 94 is it's shape. Basically flat with no protrusions like a bolt gun. Very compact, moderate weight so you can carry it all day if need be. Durable, not prone to breakage or going out of order.
And J.M.Browning was a master of the K.I.S.S. principle. If you study the innards of a Mdl 94 they are simple. The basic functional design of the 94 remained unchanged until 1982 when USRAC messed with them.

I own a Win 94 16" Trapper, a 20" carbine, and I want a 26" rifle. This will satiate my 30-30 cravings ..... for a while.

Joe
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

when the 30wcf. first came out winchester advertised it as a grizzly cartridge. it was a popular elk cartridge out west into the 1950's. at some point, it became accepted practice for gun writers to belittle an existing cartridge to sell a new one. all of a sudden the 30wcf bounced off of game. elk and moose gourded you with their antlers and big bears stomped the poor dumb guy into mush for stupidly trying to shoot them with the now declared pathetic round.

This happened because the Magazines now became "Commercial" and an AD RAG instead of an informative publication... come on now, we've all seen the lame 30-06 Vs .308 which is better stuff articles...etc.... They are hyping and helping sell the latest "supermag" some manufacturer cranks out. Biggest "Pop" round I've shot extensively was .308 (and the 06)..... and have found the 30-30 dropped the last deer just as dead, just as fast, even tho my shot was a bit off!!! Rounds of the past, were "anemic" by today's power standards, but they did indeed Kick ***.... I don't buy magazines anymore.... websites like this give me all the "knowledge" and entertainment I need!! Without the "Yuppie filled" BS......

An "article" I'D like to have seen???? Some of these "supermag" shooters, going OPEN SIGHT vs CREEDMORE boys open sighted! THAT would be entertaining!! Bet the "super" boys would get their backsides handed top them!!

Other Stupidity i've seen.... Rifle guy says 30-30 not powerful enough.... then in SAME magazine the "Handgun" guy saying how the .44 mag out of a handgun will drop anything at 100+ yds no sweat... look up the energy/velocity charts..... um... do they even READ that stuff before writing dumb comments?? LOL!!!
Lanyard Stretcher
Levergunner

Post by Lanyard Stretcher »

Beware of anyone who claims to be an expert :!:

Mike
Fire Mission!!!!