Colt Disappointment NEW UPDATE--How long does this go on?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Colt Disappointment NEW UPDATE--How long does this go on?

Post by Kansas Ed »

I got a call yesterday that my SAA which I had returned for shoddy workmanship, was on the FEDEX truck and would be here this afternoon. If you remember the gun had the following issues:
1) Nickle plating flaking off after <100 rounds
2) Hammer off center and sticking in the fired position
3) Mill marks in the top of the reciever

Excitedly I tore open the box this afternoon and pulled out my revolver. The mill marks were 80% out of the reciever, the hammer still stuck, but somewhat less, and they had retimed the gun per the note.....

So now I have a reasonably fair example of a SAA in 38-40 with a 45LC cylinder....yep you read that right...a 38-40 barrel with a 45LC cylinder.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ed
Last edited by Kansas Ed on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Disappointment NEW UPDATE

Post by awp101 »

Wow, sounds like you and I have the same luck... :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I bet them cylinder throats ain't undersize now, are they...?

Dang, man! How could the Colt folks be THAT stupid...???

My next "Colt" will say USFA on it!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Have you called them yet or are you waiting until you can stay civil?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Just happened tonight, so tomorrow will be the call. My buddy suggested that I tell them the brass ruptured and blew out on the cylinder and put out an eye.

Ed
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, it never pays to lie but I understand the frustration!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow. :(
NRA Life Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Wow! That is hard to believe. I guess somewhere another guy has just the opposite set up!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think at this point I'd demand my money back. That is flat out ridiculous.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Yep, I feel your pain.

In 07, I ordered a pair from the Custom Shop, consec. Serial numbers, 44-40, with seperate fitted 44 special cylinders for each piece.
They came in as specified, with one exception. On was fitted with a 45 colt cylinder instead of the required 44-40 cylinder. This 45 cylinder had the frame last three numbers and fitted to the 44 caliber barrel.

I always wonder if there is a 45 Colt out there with a 44-40 cylinder.
Colt made it good and I got to keep the 45 cylinder. I later sold the new 45 cylinder for $250.00.

It looks like your Colt will get another Plane ride to Hartford.
You might ask Colt if the piece gets Flyer Miles. :wink:

FWIW; I love my 44 Colts. :o
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

J Miller wrote:I think at this point I'd demand my money back. That is flat out ridiculous.

Joe
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've been very fortunate in having a no problem SAA (ca 2008)--actually great-but that's ridiculous. They should really (really) make amends now! Hang in there.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yep - at this point I'd ask for a refund.

That's simply appalling, and shows real problems at
the plant. The worker doesn't care (or doesn't know?!?),
QA doesn't care, the QA of the QA doesn't care, and
mangement hasn't a clue.

That's why foreign competition with only reasonable
quality is making such inroads.

-Stretch
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Dave wrote:Wow! That is hard to believe. I guess somewhere another guy has just the opposite set up!
:twisted: :twisted: Just imagine his frustration tryin' to shove those .45 Colts into that .38-40 cylinder!!! :lol:

I'd be tempted to send it back and ask if they can figure out why? After they call & say, "huh?" Send them the link to this thread! At this point, cc the CEO on any and all correspondence, along with the head of QC. The stooge in "re-work" may not have any pride in Colt or their products... but those two certainly should!

Good luck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gyrhed
Levergunner

Post by gyrhed »

I would be tempted to chuck the sucker up in a vice and load it with some 45 LCs, get around a wall and pull the trigger with a string. :)

seriously you really need to stress how their neglegence put you in danger, and only your deligence saved them from a very ugly lawsuit.

I own 3 colts, and I guess thay all qualify as antiques. (Is a series 80 1911 and antique?) I bought the series 80 when the only other 1911 choice was a LLama :). Now days they don't make a gun I would buy. For the money they don't make anything you can't get cheaper and with better customer service from some where else. They live 100% off the old colt name.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

gyrhed wrote: They live 100% off the old colt name.

And government contracts. Every M-16 I have ever been issued had the Colt name and pony on it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Griff wrote:
Dave wrote:Wow! That is hard to believe. I guess somewhere another guy has just the opposite set up!
:twisted: :twisted: Just imagine his frustration tryin' to shove those .45 Colts into that .38-40 cylinder!!! :lol:

I'd be tempted to send it back and ask if they can figure out why? After they call & say, "huh?" Send them the link to this thread! At this point, cc the CEO on any and all correspondence, along with the head of QC. The stooge in "re-work" may not have any pride in Colt or their products... but those two certainly should!

Good luck!

I was informed that it took extra time because the QC manager wanted to inspect the firearm personally before it shipped....so either someone was lying in customer service with that tale, or the QC manager came from the auto industry and knows nothing about firearms.... which has happened a lot in the aircraft industry.

Ed
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JReed wrote:
gyrhed wrote: They live 100% off the old colt name.

And government contracts. Every M-16 I have ever been issued had the Colt name and pony on it.
Strictly speaking it is a different company nowadays. Colt Defense and Colt Mfg.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a disappointment. Some lame idiot (or more than one) not paying any attention to their work ruining a classic name and reputation. Talk about a shame... :(
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

This is just so true for everything! Take your new truck to the dealer and see how many times you have to bring it back that's for the big three too, they are all bad! It is really something we have to live with I know it's sad and worse for us that do not live in the States. As they can hide behind I am a American Company and your pelosi outa luck. Or as I got with talking to Braze tech or what ever they call themselves Sorry your not in the States so your pelosi outa luck! Ya I am bitter!
It must have been mid 1990's I made a call to Tika/Sako in Finland Pre internet day's for me Now that was customer service!
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

So.... "QUALITY MAKES IT A COLT" huh????? My ITALIAN "Colt Clone" (Uberti) shoots straight, finish is good, and costs a THIRD of what a COLT does.... Get you money back and tell em to STICK IT!!! "COLT" WAS a gun once.. now only a memory....
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Ed,
Please be sure to ask the fine folks at Colt...to test-fire this revolver prior to shipment.

:wink:
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I told them today I wanted my money refunded. The rep said that someone else would have to approve that. He is sending a shipping label to the house for me to return the "firearm"....

What a miserable experience.

Ed
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Really sad :evil: .You are doing the right thing by returning the fubar hunk of metal.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jaguarundi wrote:Really sad :evil: .You are doing the right thing by returning the fubar hunk of metal.
Agreed!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Well fella's, they've had this gun for 3 weeks now. The Customer Service manager called as soon as they got it, and told me that he wasn't aware of the other issues. He instructed me to write everything down in a email so he could send it up to the top of the food chain at Colt. I did that evening and never heard back. I called a week ago, and the Customer Service manager told me that the Marketing Manager wanted to talk with me, that he was sure they could make things right, wanted to give me some free add-ons etc.....he would have the guy call....no call....so I call yesterday and talk to the customer service manager again and he tells me that he will see that the Marketing Manager calls me and once again takes my number....no call.....

So now what do I do???? They have my gun, they have my money...won't call me, won't tell me whats going on....I told them in the letter I DID NOT WANT THE GUN BACK...send me my money...but now they won't even talk to me???? When do I get a lawyer involved???

Ed
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Colt Disappointment NEW UPDATE--How long does this go on?

Post by Sixgun »

Ed,
If it was a individual that I did not know from the board, I would not believe it. That is downright disgusting. Tonight, when he gets in, I am going to make a phone call to my guy who has direct contact with Colt and relay this story. Lets see if we can shake something up. This is a true horror story.
Absolutely no excuse for this BS----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Before (and after) I bought some Marlins, I spent time on the Marlin forums. And before (and after) I bought a Handi Buffalo Classic, I spent time on the Handi forums. On both these forums I saw threads just like this one. I have several Rugers so I've spent quite a bit of time on the Ruger forums, but I don't see so many threads there like this one. It would seem they're doing a better job than Marlin, Handi, or Colt.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

What issues did you have with the Buffalo Classic??? I find this thread disgusting!!! We, AMERICA, used to be the Brand EVERYONE wanted stamped on their goods, our ships, planes, guns, locomotives, you name it, were all TOP RATE! Now they can't even get products out the door without defects, and THEN they cannot FIX them right!! Then, no customer service.... WHAT the heck HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hankster wrote:What issues did you have with the Buffalo Classic??? I find this thread disgusting!!! We, AMERICA, used to be the Brand EVERYONE wanted stamped on their goods, our ships, planes, guns, locomotives, you name it, were all TOP RATE! Now they can't even get products out the door without defects, and THEN they cannot FIX them right!! Then, no customer service.... WHAT the heck HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!

I agree. It seems a lot of our domestic products are falling in the category of items we used to make fun of with the "Made in Taiwan" stamp.

I bought my daughter a Crickett 22 rifle for her birthday last year. Discovered at our first range session that the bore somehow missed getting the rifling cut in it! I still can't understand how THAT ever got out the door!!! :(
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ed,
I got ahold of my guy and I'm disgusted at his response. Screwy business people must stick together. I tell him the story and he tells me, "Hey, mistakes happen all the time". I tell him, "Your comparing that major oil rig leak in the Gulf to a guy who spills some oil on his valve cover." and that "there is absolutely no reason for this "mistake" of this magnitude." ( read--negligence)." He then tells me, "There's more to the story". I hang the phone up without answering. :evil:

You need to have someone else call Colt and relate the story. Your wife would be a better choice than you because you are emotionally attached. I know this from personal experience. I'm ready to "blow up" and call them all sorts of names. This only turns them off and makes them indifferent to your needs.

This time, don't ask for customer service---they will be prepared---ask for R&D, engineering, or even the historian. Tell them not to transfer you to customer service and to listen to your story. Bad news travels fast within different departments :wink: Its kind of like "ratting" out customer service. :oops: -------------Sixgun

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Hankster wrote:What issues did you have with the Buffalo Classic???
I personally haven't had any issues, other than the front sight height. I was merely making the point that many firearm mfg. are producing problems like the Colt problem the OP posted about, and that Ruger seems to be doing a better job than some of the others.

Front sight height - 45-70 BCs are sold with a Lyman 17AUG front sight which is .584 in height. Most BC owners know this is too tall and replace it with a Lyman 17AML which is the same sight but is only .494 in height. This problem is common knowledge among the BC owners and is in the FAQs on the GBO Handi forum. I called H&R and the phone-answerer stands by the 17AUG as being the correct sight. The 17AUG is the correct sight for the old .38-55 Target model.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have always used the method of keeping going until I get to the top. Usally that person has already heard about my problem and is ready to settle how ever I want to by the time I have him or her on the phone. Don't have them call you, stay on hold or gett the number and ect. somehow.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Did you pay with a credit card?? Put it into contest with the card company... let THEM slug it out with Colt over it. They can get the money back. I'd also start putting this story all over the place.... "squeaky wheel gets the grease" When you become a big enough pain!!! .... send a "Letter" to Guns and Ammo" etc.. ALL the gun rags for that matter, where the "readers" can Comment... tell your story!! when COLT sees THAT, you'll get a call FAST!! A few MILLION people seeing the BAD PR will shake em up FAST! You want to win, you have to Kick serious butt, and hit em where it hurts.... those magazines, and millions reading of the "bad service.... THAT is an attention getter. You paid good money, you acted, MORE than once, in "good faith".. and they have failed miserably..... no mercy!
Last edited by Hankster on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

i had colt single action in 45 colt i soon got rid of it when i bought my first cimarron it is far more accurate and fit and finish was also far superior to the colt and half the price or less i wish it were made in America but it is still a good gun i like the usfa as well but far to expensive for me it's a shame quality made firearms are getting scarce being made in the USA, manufactures don't have people who care about what they make anymore only how much money their union can make for them to turn out a product no pride in quality and in their craft.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've always wanted a Colt SAA. Ever since my parents took me to the outdoor theater to watch a John Wayne western when I was about 5 or 6 all I could think about was my desire to own a real Colt.
Never did get one. Always just out of my reach. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just buy a full sized color picture of one and be happy.
At least I wouldn't have the problems you guys seem to have with them.

Joe
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

You COULD still have the gun, Joe..........it just goes by another name now...........USFA. Even with the "plain-Jane" Rodeo, the inards & shootability are what counts, when all is said & done.
BTW, didn't I bring my USFA SA with me when we met at that Police Range near you a few years ago? jd45
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Mine is a year 2000 Colt SAA in 45 LC. Got a few thousand through it by now, with ZERO problems. Fit, finish, function is flawless. I have been a gun owner since 1974 and this SAA and a Colt 3rd gen 1851 Navy have been the 2 best looking and best functioning guns I have ever owned, or shot. The Colt SAA feels better than a Cim or a Ruger, etc,. Locks up like a bank vault even after all the rounds thru it. It is a shame what is happening to you. Instead of a refund which they may be loathe to do (altho they should do it willingly at this point), consider asking them for another gun instead, they may be more amenable to this.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jd45 wrote:You COULD still have the gun, Joe..........it just goes by another name now...........USFA. Even with the "plain-Jane" Rodeo, the inards & shootability are what counts, when all is said & done.
BTW, didn't I bring my USFA SA with me when we met at that Police Range near you a few years ago? jd45
jd,
I don't remember that one. You might have though. With that hurricane wind we were fighting I know neither of us took out everything we brought.

No jd, A Colt is a Colt. All others are just wanna bees. Don't matter how good they are, they aren't Colts. If I'm gonna spend what a Colt costs for a Single Action Army, then it's got to say Colt on it.

But hey, I got IJ and he shoots just fine.

Joe
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'm puzzlled, Joe......what's IJ? Iver Johnson's the only thing I can think of. jd45
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Just like Joe just said I wanted a Colt 45 sixshooter too...When Colt started producing them again sometime in the 70's IIRC... I had the means (barely) to get one & I found one....There it was...The much vaunted, apex pinnacle pistol I'd dreamed about...even envied anyone who had one... THE Colt SA .45 5 ½” model...Brand spanking new sitting under the glass.. I asked to handle it...with the thrill in my guts, of KNOWING I was, totally and finally going own one... Much to my dismay the gunsmith told me he was sending it back to Colt because it was badly out of time...I don't know if they sent him the same one back or what... But the second one he got was messed up too...When Colt came out with their 44mag Anaconda, or whatever it was called.. I heard they had issues too...The bubble was burst...
Old Colts are great tho... I love my New Service Colt 45 & my OMM 38 Spec..
ED...I can’t say I know how you feel... But I have had Colt burst my bubble in regard to their new SA revolvers
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jd45 wrote:I'm puzzlled, Joe......what's IJ? Iver Johnson's the only thing I can think of. jd45
My goodness jd, where you been the last 2.5 years? I've done a bunch of threads about IJ since Steve Young rehabilitated him for me.
Tell you what, I'll send you PM with the links rather than further redirect this thread.

Joe
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

OK, Joe..........Sorry, jd45
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Hankster wrote:Did you pay with a credit card?? Put it into contest with the card company... let THEM slug it out with Colt over it. They can get the money back. I'd also start putting this story all over the place.... "squeaky wheel gets the grease" When you become a big enough pain!!! .... send a "Letter" to Guns and Ammo" etc.. ALL the gun rags for that matter, where the "readers" can Comment... tell your story!! when COLT sees THAT, you'll get a call FAST!! A few MILLION people seeing the BAD PR will shake em up FAST! You want to win, you have to Kick serious butt, and hit em where it hurts.... those magazines, and millions reading of the "bad service.... THAT is an attention getter. You paid good money, you acted, MORE than once, in "good faith".. and they have failed miserably..... no mercy!
Do you really think that any of the magazines - dependent as they are on advertising revenues - would publicize a horror story like this? I doubt it. Only one magazine I can think of DID hold manufacturers accountable. That was "Gun Facts,"
with Ken Warner as editor. Lasted long enough to come out with 14 issues back around '68-'70. (I've got them all.) Cause of its demise? No advertisers.
This business with Colt is about the worst story I've ever heard connected with a gun manufacturer. I truly hope that this is resolved in a manner that gets you both satisfaction AND compensation!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rangerider7 wrote:I have always used the method of keeping going until I get to the top. Usally that person has already heard about my problem and is ready to settle how ever I want to by the time I have him or her on the phone. Don't have them call you, stay on hold or gett the number and ect. somehow.
Aye. That's how deal with it. Once that seems to have reached a stalemate, and before you both have reached the cursing point... get a lawyer involved.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hankster wrote: when COLT sees THAT, you'll get a call FAST!! A few MILLION people seeing the BAD PR will shake em up FAST! You want to win, you have to Kick serious butt, and hit em where it hurts
Colt really don't care anymore about their commercial gun business. The commercial gun department is down to a handful of oldtimers and when they retire and are gone, we all suspect the guns will go with it.

They make tens of thousands of M-16's for the world market.------------Sixgun

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun wrote:
Hankster wrote: when COLT sees THAT, you'll get a call FAST!! A few MILLION people seeing the BAD PR will shake em up FAST! You want to win, you have to Kick serious butt, and hit em where it hurts
Colt really don't care anymore about their commercial gun business. The commercial gun department is down to a handful of oldtimers and when they retire and are gone, we all suspect the guns will go with it.

They make tens of thousands of M-16's for the world market.------------Sixgun
Well, perhaps USFA will end up being king of the hill sooner than later. But, they still ain't a Colt. No history, no tradition, nothing that says, We been there and done that.

Oh well, perhaps Browning will buy the commercial dept out like they did USRAC/Winchester. Then we can all buy Miroku made 1911s and SAAs. :x

That was an attempt at sarcasm. :roll:

Joe
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote: Well, perhaps USFA will end up being king of the hill sooner than later. But, they still ain't a Colt. No history, no tradition, nothing that says, We been there and done that.
So you would pass on a well-built quality replica in favor of a nostalgic piece of substandard equipment, just for the name?

(poke, poke)
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have 4 late 3rd generation Colt SAAs (38-40,45 Colt, 44-40, 32-20). All shoot great and look great, but I was particular about finish and fit when I bought them. I inspected them thoroughly. I was lucky they all shot well. I know I would be as mad as a wet hen if I was in your place. Good Luck!
"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto wrote:
J Miller wrote: Well, perhaps USFA will end up being king of the hill sooner than later. But, they still ain't a Colt. No history, no tradition, nothing that says, We been there and done that.
So you would pass on a well-built quality replica in favor of a nostalgic piece of substandard equipment, just for the name?

(poke, poke)
Otto,

Did I say that ..... nooo I didn't. I already own three Old Model Ruger single actions and my Uberti Cattleman (IJ), so that should have belayed that question.
No matter what, no matter how good other makers are, they do not have the history that Colt does. You can't change that. It's two bad their management is so ignorant of this fact.

Joe