OT -- tick removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

OT -- tick removal

Post by new pig hunter »

this just wandered into my inbox from a friend ..... so here it is, FYI.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time.

Cheers,

Carl
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT -- tick removal

Post by TedH »

Good tip, I'll have to try that next time.
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

TedH wrote:Good tip, I'll have to try that next time.
+1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I spent 5 minutes trying to pull a tick off the side of my neck untill it finally started bleeding and then I realized it was just a mole. :oops:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I bet that really ticked you off.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, since few folks smoke anymore, I guess it's as good a way as any.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Or grab it with a tweezers and pull it out. Good grief.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Marlin32 wrote:Or grab it with a tweezers and pull it out. Good grief.
Yea, that's okay as long as you get it all. But, leave a bit behind, and it can become a nasty infection before you know it. Oh, I know folks who swear by glycerin on a paper towel or something similar. I figure both keep the critter from breathing so it pulls out and tries to get away.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Fingernail polish remover and cotton balls go with us anytime we venture into the woods.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Having grown up in tick country, I have had hundreds of ticks on me (maybe even a thousand), with well over 100 attached. I just rip them off. They take a wee patch of skin with them, but it always grows back.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used a small drop of carefully applied sulfuric acid once. The little trail of smoke irritated my nose less than it did the tick. (Hey, you only get to be a dumb kid with access to sulfuric acid once in life, so I had to take advantage of it... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

My aunt would use her cigarette on the tick's butt to cause them to back their head out of her boxer. Seemed to work. jd45
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:I used a small drop of carefully applied sulfuric acid once. The little trail of smoke irritated my nose less than it did the tick. (Hey, you only get to be a dumb kid with access to sulfuric acid once in life, so I had to take advantage of it... :lol: )
Ahh, youth and chemicals. Boy what fun we had. Probably isn't legal anymore, then again, it probably was legal then either. But what the heck, it was FUN!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Beaker wrote:I bet that really ticked you off.
unless it's too close to your ticker.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K and the Boy Scouts went camping last weekend. The grass was almost chest high - to me! Tick country big time!!! :evil:
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Not to sound like a smart you know what but that is not a good way to remove them for one simple reason. When you irritate the tick in such a manner it panics and basically vomits into you. So if that tick is carrying lyme disease, babesiosis,et all you now have an injection of that disease. It takes a good 24 hours for any tick related diseases to transfer to the body. The best way is to remove it with fine tweezers or a specialy adapted tick removing tool.

As with many things, prevention is the best way to intercede. All of my hunting and outdoor clothing is treated with permetherin. Never had a problem with the little viragos when I use that stuff.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My understanding is that they back out for air when you paste 'em with vaseline. I don't have the patience though, I just pull 'em off...hopefully with their demon heads still attached to their bodies. Between ticks and mosquitos here in Wisconsin you would be a dried up bag of skin and bones within a couple of days if you didn't kill 'em or pull 'em off.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:I used a small drop of carefully applied sulfuric acid once. The little trail of smoke irritated my nose less than it did the tick. (Hey, you only get to be a dumb kid with access to sulfuric acid once in life, so I had to take advantage of it... :lol: )
I have a extra push button gas grill ignitor by itself (it shocks the wife good if she is bad) :lol:
I found that if you get a tick stuck on you, shock yourself in that spot and the good ole tick jumps right out!
Now I find I am shocking myself(even with no tick on me,cause I like it) :oops:
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

The only way guaranteed to remove ticks so they don't leave their head in your ski (with subsequent infections) is to inject local anesthetic under the head to raise the skin - then with a new scalpel, excise the skin containing the head. There are surprisingly many doctors not acquainted with the proper technique.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like to let 'em blow up like a balloon (takes a few days) then carefully remove 'em and use 'em for ammo in my slingshot. :D

Anyway, just last week I had a tick on my side. I put a glob of "Bag Balm" on it---then covered it with a band aid---waited about two hours and presto! The tick was in the bag balm--dead---and no infection or bump.

After removing the tick/band aid/Bag Balm, I cleansed the area with alcohol.

For you city slickers, Bag Balm is an ointment used by dairy farmers for softening up the "bag area" of a milk cow. (I married the farmers daughter--no jokes please :D ) This stuff is available at most drug stores as it has many uses, one of them being the best dry skin healer I have even known.---------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I am so glad I don't have to deal with them. Hay it's snowing today we have 2'' on the ground ticks what ticks I just hope the cold kills the yellow jackets!but I don't think it will :x
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, tick have never bothered me that much, well they didn't until the whole Lyme disease thing cropped up. What I hate (I think it's sort of genetically ingrained thing) are leeches. Sneaky little devils, and darn it, I am not sombodies lunch.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sixgun wrote:I like to let 'em blow up like a balloon (takes a few days) then carefully remove 'em and use 'em for ammo in my slingshot. :D

Anyway, just last week I had a tick on my side. I put a glob of "Bag Balm" on it---then covered it with a band aid---waited about two hours and presto! The tick was in the bag balm--dead---and no infection or bump.

After removing the tick/band aid/Bag Balm, I cleansed the area with alcohol.

For you city slickers, Bag Balm is an ointment used by dairy farmers for softening up the "bag area" of a milk cow. (I married the farmers daughter--no jokes please :D ) This stuff is available at most drug stores as it has many uses, one of them being the best dry skin healer I have even known.---------------------Sixgun
Hmm, bag balm, that brings back a few memories of childhood. Thanks for the reminder. I'm having a good day now, no matter what happens. Memories of dad do that to me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

bigbore442001 wrote:Not to sound like a smart you know what but that is not a good way to remove them for one simple reason. When you irritate the tick in such a manner it panics and basically vomits into you. So if that tick is carrying lyme disease, babesiosis,et all you now have an injection of that disease. It takes a good 24 hours for any tick related diseases to transfer to the body. The best way is to remove it with fine tweezers or a specialy adapted tick removing tool.

As with many things, prevention is the best way to intercede. All of my hunting and outdoor clothing is treated with permetherin. Never had a problem with the little viragos when I use that stuff.
I haven't heard anyone else call a female of any species a virago for a long time. Very apropriate in the case of a tick.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost