Can a canted barrel on a Model 94 be fixed???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Can a canted barrel on a Model 94 be fixed???

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I bought a Winchester model 94AE, 30-30, and noticed that the barrel is canted to the right (clockwise rotation, as you look down the barrel through the iron sights.) The rear site is thus rotated a bit, so that the left edge is higher than the right edge.

Is this something that a gunsmith could fix? Or, is the price of repair not worth the cost? This model is from prior to the cross-bolt safety, S/N 5551XXX.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Can a canted barrel on a Model 94 be fixed???

Post by Tycer »

A canted barrel is an easy fix for a smith. Remove the barrel, shave a thousandth or so off the mating face and reinstall. If it were the other way a washer could be used.

Check the cutout for the extractor and see how it lines up to the extractor. Is it off?
Is the front sight level and just the rear is out? That would be a mis-cut dovetail.
A .22 bullet tapped into the empty rear dovetail and an aperture sight would be my fix.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You probably wouldnt even have to shave it. I'd back it off to see how tight it is and re-torque it straight, so long as it wasn't way too tight.

If you were close by, I'd try to trade you out of it. I'd like to do an AE pre-crossbolt project. May or may not use the factory barrel.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Well, you guys are going to hate me, but the way I figured out something was wrong is that I tried to mount a scope. The scope seemed to point to the left, but the weird thing is that i ran out of windage with the groups too far to the LEFT. The more I look at this thing, the more I am wondering if the barrel is on crooked, not just canted. I took the scope and mounts off completely, and it looks like my rear iron sight is canted to the right, clockwise as you look down the barrel, and the front site is actually canted a tad bit to the left (counterclockwise), so that there is less room under the front site hood on the left side of the front site than on the right side of the front site. I am kind of peeved about the money wasted on getting this rifle. I don't like owning it, and want to fix it or get rid of it. I suppose if nothing else, it is a good source of some parts, but if it can be fixed for a reasonable amount, I'd go that route.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Hmm. Sounds like there may be a visit for the barrel between the crotch of a tree....just a little tweak :lol:

Sorry you are frustrated.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd ask Steve Young ( http://www.stevesgunz.com/ ) about it. Your gun may have a bad barrel (easier to deal with) or the receiver may not have the barrel hole bored and threaded straight. It may be something else simple, but the way you described it, it sounds like something more than the barrel not indexed at 12:00.

I'm curious to know what you learn.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ursavus.elemensis,

I believe that front sight ramp is held on by a screw under the sight blade.
Remove the hood, then put the rifle in a padded vise or secure fixture of some kind and sight down the barrel to the receiver from the muzzle.
You'll be able to see if the sights are crooked, or the dovetail is cut wrong or both.

To see if the barrel is in the receiver crooked with the rifle in the padded vise or secure fixture tape a string to the back of the hammer, bring the string up and over the hammer and pull it forward over the center of the receiver bridge then back away from it. As you look down the string you'll be able to see if the barrel is crooked, bent or not.

If you've put the scope on straight and your running out of windage somethings wrong.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This is a great question and very timely. I've got a Trapper 44 with the same problem,only the sights lean the other way. :shock: Thanks for asking the question.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

" The scope seemed to point to the left, but the weird thing is that i ran out of windage with the groups too far to the LEFT."

No offense meant,...but are you sure you were running the scope adjustment the correct way?

Did you perchance see the group moving the way you wanted it to, just not enough?

Were the rings both set up the same way on the scope, so as not to make the scope crosseyed?

Your bases both the same make and style? Screws run down tight?

ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Yup. I am sure. The groups were moving to the right, towards center of target, but I ran out of windage with the groups still too far LEFT of center. I took the rings and bases off a few times and put them back on, thinking each time that they must be on kind of funny, but each time I got the same result. A gun shop owner tried to help by adding a shim to the scope, and I was able to get the rifle sighted in at 50 yards. But the darn thing bugs me so much that I took it all apart to look at it again. I could just leave it sighted in for 50 yards and be happy, I guess, but not really since it will be off sight by a lot at any other distance than exactly 50 yards. I am this same way with guns, model trains, and radio gear: If it is broken, and I can't fix it myself or get a pro to fix it, I don't even want it in the house (don't even want to hang onto it for "spare parts") because it will just remind me every time I see it that I was suckered into buying it, and that it does not work.

I am thinking that the receiver was drilled at a weird angle for the barrel to be inserted, and now it's all messed up. Can that be fixed or should I spray paint it gold and hang it on the wall to commemorate our liberation from Jimmy Carter or some other memorable event? Maybe the invention of birch beer needs to be commemorated with a gold-colored model 94....
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:Yup. I am sure. The groups were moving to the right, towards center of target, but I ran out of windage with the groups still too far LEFT of center. I took the rings and bases off a few times and put them back on, thinking each time that they must be on kind of funny, but each time I got the same result. A gun shop owner tried to help by adding a shim to the scope, and I was able to get the rifle sighted in at 50 yards. But the darn thing bugs me so much that I took it all apart to look at it again. I could just leave it sighted in for 50 yards and be happy, I guess, but not really since it will be off sight by a lot at any other distance than exactly 50 yards. I am this same way with guns, model trains, and radio gear: If it is broken, and I can't fix it myself or get a pro to fix it, I don't even want it in the house (don't even want to hang onto it for "spare parts") because it will just remind me every time I see it that I was suckered into buying it, and that it does not work.

I am thinking that the receiver was drilled at a weird angle for the barrel to be inserted, and now it's all messed up. Can that be fixed or should I spray paint it gold and hang it on the wall to commemorate our liberation from Jimmy Carter or some other memorable event? Maybe the invention of birch beer needs to be commemorated with a gold-colored model 94....
How about this:
Get the problem diagnosed, then call Browning/Winchester and see if they'll make good on it. They are still working on the 94s at the last time I heard. If it's factory defect they might make it right. It's worth a phone call at least.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

ursavus.elemensis wrote: I am thinking that the receiver was drilled at a weird angle for the barrel to be inserted, and now it's all messed up.
JMiller's tie a string to the hammer is the next step fer sure.
Kind regards,
Tycer
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Are pics possible?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

UrvasisElemensis.....was the barrel off center in the reciever? Hope your making some progress on this.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8